1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who was the Great Commission given to?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Feb 8, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So, no one now has authority to go preach the gospel, baptize or teach others how to observe all things as Christ commanded????

Since when is the "end of the world" ever used in the New Testament to mean the "end of age of apostles"????

Does Matthew or any other writer ever use it that way?

If Colossians 1:23 signaled the fulfillment of that commission then why did Paul continue to preaching? Why did John continue 40 years to do this after the death of Paul???

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

bib

No one has the Authority that the Apostles of Christ had. Their teaching and doctrines live on as God raises up men who preach faithfully the Apostles Doctrine. Thats why Jesus said Jn 17:20

20Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

The New Testament scriptures are their word..However the Commission specifically given to the Apostles Matt 28, is over with..

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

If that is true, then you nor your church have any authority to go anywhere and preach the gospel, nor to baptize anyone nor teach anyone how to observe anything as you believe Matthew 28:19-20 was not only restricted to the Apostles but confined to the apostolic age.

You are very good at just asserting a position but not very good at providing any evidence. I presented several problem questions to such a idea and you simply ignored them all and reasserted merely hot air without a shred of evidence.

Where is the evidence for such a position? Philip was not an apostle but preached the gospel and baptized? Where is the evidence this is restricted to apostles only or restricted to the apostolic period???

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Mt. 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I believe this scripture is specifically to those who were present. If it was to everyone, then why do we have churches? If it is specifically to all Christians, then everyone should be out on the mission field now. There would be no one left in the churches.

IMO, this scripture has been taken out of context many times. In one book I recently read, a SBC minister was scolding Christians, using the scripture, for not going on these short time mission trips sponsored by his church.

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I have provided evidence from the preceding verses in this same context (vv. 7-16) that more were present than merely the eleven disciples. The whole congregation at Jerusalem was present. This is the only meeting with Christ that was given such advance notice, (vv. 7-10) and provided such space that over 500 brethen saw him at once (1 Cor. 15:6).

It is limited to "disciples" as those being commissioned have already been through this discipling process "whatsoever I HAVE commanded you"! They had already been gospelized, baptized and instructed in the all things by habitually assembling with Christ (Acts 1:21-22). Therefore he is directly addressing the New Testament congregational body of disciples.

Not all professed Christians have embraced the gospel of Christ (2 Cor. 11:4; Gal. 1:8-9). Not all professed Christians have submitted to scriptural baptism. Not all professed Christians have been instructed in how to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded.

Christ is not commissioning anyone to go preach "another" gospel as that is accursed (Gal. 1:8-9). Christ is not commissioning to go administer another kind of baptism as there is only one kind of baptism that is the counsel of God (Lk. 7:29-30) and unto which he submitted and all the apostles submitted unto. Christ is not commissioning anyone to go out an teach another faith and order as that is condemned (1 Tim. 4:1). He is commissioning them to make "disciples" and that by definition is one who is LIKE FAITH AND ORDER with the Master not an inovater.

Not all the members of the first church at Jerusalem including the apostles did not go into all the world. However, God raised up men out of their midst to act as authorized representatives of the congregation to obey this command (Acts 13:1-4). It is through this very commission that congregations of Christ originate and are constittuted. This is the goal of every New Testament congregation in their own geographical area (Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria) and then through God called church sent missionaries (Acts 13:1-4) they are to go into the utter most parts of the world.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

According to the text the only people present were 11 Apostles.

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

bib

God calls Many to Preach the Gospel, however none but the Apostles were called to do the great Commission of Matt 28.

The New Covenant Promised that all the Elect would come into a Savivng Knowledge of God through Christ, and that is not dependent upon men necessarily. Heb 8:10-11

10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

That is not true! The apostles had been visited by Christ on several occasions prior to this meeting on the mount in Galilee for the purpose to remove all doubts and this was accomplished with the last doubter - Thomas. However, among those on the mountain were more than one that doubted:

17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

Furthermore, in the preceding context the angel and Christ gave sufficient notice to others - the women, "my brethren" and "my disciples". Jesus had sent out seventy "disciples" previously. 120 met in Acts 1. Over 500 saw him at once (1 Cor. 15:6).

This is the only meeting where sufficient notice was given to meet in a place of sufficient space where over 500 could see him at once. No other meeting is recorded that could fit that bill.

Jesus did not tell the women merely to go tell "the eleven" but tell his "disciples."

Furthermore, the commission is to make "disciples" and that cannot possibly be restricted merely to the apostles as Philip was not an apostle but made disciples.

9. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

They were to teach all nations !

Matt 28:17-20

17And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The people Jesus had in mind here for the Apostles to reach were unconverted,but made spiritually alive elect sinners, who would be teachable. They would be discipled.

In fact the word for Teach in vs 19 is the greek word mathēteuō and means to:

to be a disciple of one

a) to follow his precepts and instructions

2) to make a disciple

a) to teach, instruct

Christ's Power would be with them and for them, making alive all those who would be ready to be instructed. For instance, The Ethiopian Eunuch Acts 8:

26-31

26And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.

27And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

28Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.

29Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

30And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Their mission was very specific, it would be to those whom God would give a Spiritual Desire to, to be instructed.

It began on the day of Pentecost after the Spirit came for that very witnessing Purpose. Those who Peter preached to were awaken by the Spirit and desired to be discipled, instructed , thats why they asked Acts 2:37

37Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

They had been made willing to be instructed in the Day of Christ's Power Ps110:3Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power,

So this commission was to a very specific prepared people. Like John the Baptist Ministry was unto Lk 1:17

And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

The Holy Spirit made them ready in the Apostles case !

Matt 28:18-19 was for the regenerated but yet unconverted elect to be spiritually instructed !

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The first term translated "teach" in verse 19 is a command to "make disciples" and the very method outlined to make disciples requires previous gospel conversion. The Aorist participle translated "go" demonstrates this has already occurred and Mark 16:15 defines this going is with the gospel and thus gospelizing a person BEFORE they administer baptism as the participle translated "baptizing" is present tense and denotes identical action with the primary verb "make disciples."

Hence, one must first be converted by the gospel BEFORE baptism is administered.

This commission not merely given to the apostles although it includes them as they were the first ordained office "set in the church" (1 Cor. 12:28) and were responsible to lead the church at Jerusalem in obedience to this command.

Philip and Stephen were not apostles and yet both preached the gospel and Philip administered baptism and both were DEACONS in the church at Jerusalem.

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

bib

I know I already stated that. Only the Regenerated will be discipled. The second word for teaching is didaskō and means:

to discharge the office of a teacher, conduct one's self as a teacher

2) to teach one

a) to impart instruction

b) instill doctrine into one

c) the thing taught or enjoined

d) to explain or expound a thing

f) to teach one something

This also pertains to the regenerated elect. The work of evangelism was for the regenerated, unconverted Elect, or the Church.

Eph 4:11-13

11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Matt 28:18-19 was not for lost people to be won to the Lord, but to all them whom Christ had redeemed by His Blood, to be converted and Taught the Doctrine of Christ..

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Those he commission were already gospel converted and those who were to be baptized were already converted to the gospel BEFORE they were baptized.

Regeneration occurs simetaneous with conversion to the gospel but in a cause and consequence relationship.

However, I am not going to allow you to turn this thread into a debate over when the elect are regenerated. If you want to argue that point start your own thread.

This thread is about the identity of whom this commission was given and it is authority to make disciples out of previously converted people.

This text defines who has the authority to administer the ordinances and assemble the saints in an orderly fashion for the purpose to "observe" all things Christ commanded.

13. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

bib

I already know that, I am not talking about them, cant you read?

That text is about the Apostles Job, not yours or anyones else. At the most it may apply to those directly taught by the Apostles like a Timothy or a Titus, those whom the Apostles ordained pastors to be because Christ gifted them.

The commission is over with. Besides, you do not teach the Apostles Doctrine anyway ! You deny Christ's Death alone reconciled and Justified the Elect before God, you teach man must do something, that is not the Gosel of God.

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

What you saying is so obviously wrong and so easy to repudiate that the real difficulty is trying to understand why you would even waste your breath uttering such obvious nonsense???

Philip alone disproves your interpretation. He was not an apostle. He administered baptism.

Barnabas was not an apostle in the technical sense of the apostle like the twelve or like Paul and yet he preached the gospel, baptized, and helped constitute churches as a church sent "apostle" = missionary - chosen church qualified and authorized missionary.

There is a distinction in the use of the technical sense "apostle" and the non-technical use of apostle. The techical sense refers to those who were eye witnesses of the resurrected Christ (Acts 1:21-22). The non-technical sense are those qualified and selected by the churches to carry out this same great commission (Acts 11:21; 14:1-4). In this non-technical sense it refers to missionaries sent out by the churches and the verbal form of apostle is used to describe them.

To claim it is restricted to the apostolic age, done away with is about as silly as one can get. That would mean no one today has the authrity to make disciples for Christ. No one has the right to baptize anyone or assemble and constitute churches to teach baptized believers how to observe all things. That would mean churches of Christ should not exist today.

This is given to the church as a body of baptized disciples and the promise to the church "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" is equal to the promise "until the end of the world." The very same authority was previously assigned to the church in Matthew 18:15-18 - "tell it to the church."

#34 The Biblicist, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  15. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

bib

No it does not, you totally ignored this comment:

Philip would be included , also Philip himself was a gift given by Christ in that first century to the Church Eph 4:11-13

11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Philip was an evangelist and his gift would have been perceived by the Apostles Acts 21:8

And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.

16. mandym

mandym New Member

2Co_11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Gal_1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

"till" when?????

Don't pick and choose. Respond to the rest of my post.

To claim it is restricted to the apostolic age, done away with is about as silly as one can get. That would mean no one today has the authrity to make disciples for Christ. No one has the right to baptize anyone or assemble and constitute churches to teach baptized believers how to observe all things. That would mean churches of Christ should not exist today.

This is given to the church as a body of baptized disciples and the promise to the church "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" is equal to the promise "until the end of the world." The very same authority was previously assigned to the church in Matthew 18:15-18 - "tell it to the church."

18. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

the bib

All the elect will come unto the unity of the Faith, but what does that have to do with The Great commission given to the Apostles ?

The New Covenant promises that All the Elect shall Know God Heb 8:10-11

10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

The Holy Spirit is still giving Elect eople Faith in Christ, and He will Perfect their Faith in Him through the Word of God, The Apostle's Doctrine. Though they be dead, their words still speaketh like the principle set forth with Abel's Blood Heb 11:4

By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

19. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The Great Commission !

Matt 28:18-20

18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

When Jesus gave this task to His disciples, to teach , to instruct, to disciple, this presupposes that they would be in a spiritual condition to receive their spiritual instruction, so those who were spiritually dead in trespasses and sins could not be the intended ones that they were sent to disciple. It was only those that had been quickened, made alive that would be taught by them the Gospel of Christ. That word Teach in vs 20 is the greek word didaskō and is the word Paul uses to say that He was Taught the Gospel by revelation of Jesus Christ Gal 1:11-12

11But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

12For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Eph 4:20-21

20But ye have not so learned Christ;

21If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

So the Great Commission was Jesus sending His Ministers to deliver the goods, the Good News to all whom He would give New Birth by His Resurrection 1 Pet 1:3

3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

So, all such would be receptive to their teaching, instruction, and discipling !

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

1. First, you are correct it was given to his "disciples" not merely the apostles.

2. Second, the Aorist tense verb translated "go" demonstrates Jesus already assumed the gospel had been received by those they are to "make disciples" from. Mark 16:15 proves that the command to go was with the gospel.

3. Third, the last phrase "I will be with you until the end of the world" demonstrates this is not a restricted mission to the first century.

4. The very nature of this command "make disciples" in connection with baptism and observation of what He commands proves it is not limited to the first century.

5. The fact that Philip, Barnabas and others administered baptism proves it was not limited to merely apostles.

6. The seven congregations in Asia in Revelation 2-3 and especially noted in Rev. 22:16 proves this is not a limited commission to the apostolic age as they are to be making disciples after this same method until Jesus returns.

7. The very nature of the final aspect of this commission (v.20) and its very first application noted in Acts 2:41 proves that its conclusive application was adding members to either an already established congregation or constituting a new congregation (Acts 14:21-22).