1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who was the Great Commission given to?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Feb 8, 2012.

1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The bib

You need to prove that statement with scripture, What I read is these words Matt 16-20

16Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.

17And when they saw him, they worshiped him: but some doubted.

18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Good point, the very point I made without using the greek !

I believe it was according to Col that commission was completed Col 1:23

If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Was preached is the aorist tense, denoting simple past !

Now, their [The disciples] testimony can carry on through the scriptures they wrote. However Christ's Mediatoral Prayer was for them and those who shall believe on Him through their word ! Jn 17:20

20Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

Those who are faithful to the Apostle's Doctrine can extend their testimony, so Paul says to Timothy 2 Tim 2:2

And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Baptism here may not be water but doctrine ! One needs to be baptized with the Teaching of Christ, that will determine discipleship Jn 8:31

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

No water baptism was not restricted to the Apostles, but it took a secondary role to preaching the Gospel 1 Cor 1:17,14

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

14I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;

You have lost me here, I see no connection with Matt 28, except God will maintain a Faithful Apostolic Gospel Testimony, that I agree !

That would be True up until the days of Apostasy and the corruption of the local church, after that Christ would Just continue to save His Elect and nourish them in the wilderness with the Word of God !

2. billwald

billwald New Member

The only people present were the 11 Apostles. (By the) doctrine of apostolic succession they could pass on this obligation to the next generation.

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

All I can do is point you to the immediate contextual evidence in Matthew 28:7-20 and other chronological evidence from the gospels.

Both you and SBM are simply choosing to ignore the immediate and greater Biblical context and chronolgical order of Christ's appearances.

For example, John 20 lists two appearances to the "disciples" meeting behind closed doors at a specific location in Jerusalem in order to remove all doubts about his resurrection so they could be credible witnesses of his resurrection. Thomas was the last doubter, and the last appearance in Jerusalem was to all those meeting with them behind the same closed doors in the same location in Jeruslaem specifically to remove doubt from Thomas.

1. First appearance to the "disciples" assembled behind closed doors at a specific location in Jerusalem - Jn. 20:19

2. Second appearane to "disciples" assembled behind closed doors at a specific location in Jerusalem - John 20:26-29

These two appearances in Jersualem does not include the separate appearances to the women -John 20:1-18 or the appearance to the two disciples on the road to Emmaeus.

In addition to all the above appearnces in Jerusalem and on the road to Emmaeus, in Matthew 28:9-11 Christs tell the women to go tell "my brethren" that he will meet them in Galilee:

Mt. 28:10 Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me.

This is in addition to, and after all the appearances in John 20 in Jerusalem. After he removed all doubt from the last apostle (Thomas).

Now, in Galilee he made TWO different appearances. He made one appearance to seven of the apostles on the Sea shore of Galilee (Jn. 20). This special appearance was not to remove doubt of his resurrection but to remove the guilt from the apostles having abandoned him in the garden, especially Peter who denied him thrice.

In addition to this appearance in Galilee, now we come to the special appointed meeting on the Mount in Galillee that Matthew 28:16-17 where the Great Commission was given them:

Mt. 28:16 ¶ Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
    17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

I believe Matthew 28:16-17 and the words "had appointed them" refers back to his original appointment he had given the women in verses 9-10:

Mt. 28:10 Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me.

1. This appointed mount in Galilee was in addition to the four appearances in Jerusalem (the women, the road to Emmaeus, the two times to the house behind closed doors) and in addition to the Sea Shore of Galilee to where he appeared to just seven.

2. This appointed mount in Galilee was published well in advance of all these other five appearances.

3. Jesus did not tell the women simply to instruct the "eleven disciples" concerning this appointed place but his words were "go tell MY BRETHREN" (Mt. 28:10).

4. Jesus had previously met with the eleven in Jerusalem to remove all "doubt" from their minds and in addition met with seven to remove all fear and guilt from their minds and yet at this appointed place we read the words "and some doubted."

5. This is the only appointed place given sufficient announcement that "five hundred brethren" ("my brethren") could have seen Christ at one time in one place and the vast majority for the very first time where some could "doubt"

1 Cor. 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

6. Matthew 28:16 tells us that the eleven disciples went to this appointed place but it does not deny or assert that they ALONE went to this appointed palce. The fact that Matthew says "some doubted" demonstrates more than the eleven went to this "appointed" place because the last remaining doubter among the eleven had already been convinced at the second appearance of Christ back in Jerusalem (John 19:26-29).

7. When all the Biblical evidence is considered together, it is clear to me that this is the only possible place that the five hundred brethen had sufficient notice with sufficient space to assemble and all see Christ at once and it is among this larger group that "some doubted."

8. Remember that Jesus had not only sent out 70 disciples on a limited mission in Israel but that John 4:1-2 says that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John. Remember that in Acts 1:15 there were at least 120 meeting consistently after the ascension of Christ up to and including the day of Pentecost. Hence, when Jesus told the women to go tell "my brethren" (Mt. 28:10) of this appointed place in Galilee there were sufficient time and space for "OVER five hundred brethren" to have met there and Jesus commissioned his congregation at Jerusalem with its first ordained leaders.

My thesis is, that the eleven apostles were the first officers "first" set in the congregation of Christ at Jerusalem (1 Cor. 12:28) and they were already set in the congregation early near the time of the sermon on the mount (Mk. 3:12; Luk 6:12) and the congregation met in buisness meeting (Acts 1:15-27) to select another apostle to fill the office of Judas according to the command of scriptures and leadership of the Holy Spirit prior to Pentecost.

The congregation of Christ was a traveling assembly of baptized believers under Christ as their Pastor with ordained leaders (Mk. 3:12-15; Lk. 6:12-15) which had been habitually assemblying with Christ coming in and going out from among them since the baptism of John right up to the day of Penecost (Acts 1:21-22) and it was unto this established and constituted assembly that the 3,000 on Pentecost were "added" (Acts 2:40) which is called the "church" or congregation at Jerusalem (Acts 2:46).

In Matthew 28:19-20 corresponds to Revelation 2-3 where Christ speaks to his congregations through their ordained leadership ("to the angel [messenger] of the congregation which is at...."). The Pastor of a congregation is nothing more than a "messenger" boy who gets his messages from the Lord and gives them to the congregation he has been given to lead. Likewise, Christ speaks to his first congregation at Jerusalem through their ordained leadership in Matthew 28:19-20.

More evidence of my thesis is the fact that previously in Matthew 18:17-18 the authority of the keys had been given to the congregation with its leadership ("tell the church") and not merely to its leadership. The immediate context is church discipline (Mt. 18:15-16) and such discipline is not given to the leadership as 1 Corinthians 5 demonstrates but Paul addresses the whole congregation at Corinth with its leadership to administer discipline upon the erring brother. Likewise in Revelation 2-3, it is the congregations with their leadership that are called upon to act upon the Lord's commands. In neither case does the Lord simply address the ordained leadership as though all authority rested solely in their office. Peter is called in upon the red carpet to answer to the membership in Acts 11:1-17 for his actions as an ordained representative. Paul consistently reports back to his sending congregation at Antioch for his actions (Acts 14:26-27). It is the congregation at Antioch in a called business meeting that appoints Paul and Barnabas to represent them at Jerusalem (Acts 15:2-3 "they determined.....being brought on their way by the church." - A.T. Robertson says of the Greek term translated "appointed" in Acts 15:2 -" The verb εταξαν (τασσω, to arrange) suggests a formal appointment by the church in regular assembly.")

Hence, the ordained ministry is subjected to the authority of the congregation in the final analysis and Matthew 28:19-20 is congregational authority, congregational commission WITH its ordained leadership and ministered THROUGH its ordained leadership.

#43 The Biblicist, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  4. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

And all of this is meaningless - BECAUSE - many Christians believe they have the ultimate authority to interpret scripture for themselves (as TS stated). Hence the ongoing and never ending disagreement. This is a result of Sola Scritptura, ignoring the beliefs and practices of historic christianity, and the abandonment of the belief in Apostolic Succession in many circles - mainly (but not exclusively) in the US.

WM

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A more pertinent question would be, to whom did 'the eleven' perceive they were sent?

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are confusing individual responsibility to interpret the scriptures for themselves with congregational responsibilty to administer the commission through its ordained ministry. One does not NECESSARILY contradict the other.

Secondly, individuals as well as whole congregations can wrongly interpret some scriptures but that neither changes the truth of those scriptures or necessarily condemns individual responsibility to interpret the scriptures for themselves.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The nature of your question assumes there is a detachment of the apostolic office from the congregation so that they act independent from the congregation where their membership resides.

The Biblical evidence does not support that assumption. The twelve resided in the congregation at Jerusalem and worked out of that congregation from the point they were ordained (Mk. 3:12-15). They followed the norm found in the New Testament. Baptized believers were always members of specific congregations. If they moved from one geographical area to another they would become a member of the congregation where they moved.

Paul worked out of the congregation at Antioch and consistently reported back to this same congregation after his first and second missionary journeys (Acts 14:25-27; 18:22) and his third missionary journey was in chains.

The congregation was the metaphorical "body of Christ" and all were equal in their membership but not all served equally in the body as members. Jesus taught the twelve that leadership came through servanthood not assertion of authority. All members had a specific roll and calling in their service in the concrete congregational body (1 Cor. 12:14-27) and all were given a measure of faith and grace (Rom. 12:3,7).

The New Testament does not know of "acceptable" service by any baptized believer outside the congregational body. The apostles served as role models for all baptized believers and congregational membership was the norm.

Apostles claimed their teachings and doctrine were mandatory for all congregations because they were prophets and providers of divine inspired revelation.

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why was Peter called onto the carpet in Acts 11 for taking the gospel to Cornelius, a Gentile?

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Why would he yeild to such examination if he were not subject to the authority of that congregation? Why would he take six brethren from the congregation at Jerusalem to verify what happened at the house of Corneilus? Individual leadership by the Holy Spirit does not necessarily contradict accountability to the authority of the congregation you are member.

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still don't get it. It's clear from Acts 11 that 'the eleven' did not percieve NON-JEWS to be included in 'the great commission', as you call it, but were still operating under the charge of Mt 10:

"Go not into any way of the Gentiles, and enter not into any city of the Samaritans: but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

11. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You make a good point. Peter did have to submit himself to their scrutiney.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Consider Peter's astonishment here:

34 And Peter opened his mouth and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
    35 but in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is acceptable to him.
    45 And they of the circumcision that believed were amazed, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 10

It's clear, those to whom was given 'the great commission', as some call it, did not perceive NON-JEWS to be included in it. Why else would Peter be given the same vision 3 times over in Acts 10?

13. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

They never understood what Jesus taught as here Jn 10:16

16And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

This also was of Abraham's Seed in the Nations, for God had promised him and made him a Father [spiritually] of many nations ! Gen 17:5

5Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

So the commission Jesus gave had that in mind ! For they would be Justified by Faith also as Children of Abraham Gal 3:7-8

7Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

8And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

And Faith cometh by Hearing Rom 10:17, and Jesus said they shall Hear Jn 10:16

16And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's significant that Paul, the preordained apostle to the Gentiles, was not present at the giving of 'the great commission' as some call it.

If those 'eleven' had perceived Christ's command to include Gentiles, then they were clearly in the wrong when this deal was struck:

and when they perceived the grace that was given unto me, James and Cephas and John, they who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship, that we should go unto the Gentiles, and they unto the circumcision Gal 2:9

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke (in Acts) phrases 'the great commission', as some call it, this way:

But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Acts 1:8

Take note Christ said, 'ye shall' receive power, 'ye shall' be my witnesses unto the end of the earth. Period. He didn't say I want you to try to do it, or to give it your best shot, He told them that they indeed would do it.

In the very next chapter Luke records:

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit [RECEIVED POWER].......
    5 Now there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven [UTTERMOST PART OF THE EARTH].
    6 .........every man heard them speaking in his own language [WITNESSES OF CHRIST]. Acts 2

Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, in Judaea and Cappadocia, in Pontus and Asia, in Phrygia and Pamphylia, in Egypt and the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and sojourners from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians, we hear them speaking in our tongues the mighty works of God. Acts 2:9-11

What do you think that those 'Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven' in Acts 2 did when they all went back home from the feast of Pentecost, after hearing and believing the gospel and themselves having received power from the Holy Spirit?

The preaching at Pentecost was a 'gospel bomb' that fulfilled Christ's words of Acts 1:8.

16. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    which brings us back to the point that I've made that Jesus gave the commission to specifically his apostles and that is how they understood it. There is no contextual issue with that view of the passage. Biblicist spends too much time with trying to determine who "you" is when its quite clear in the context as you and I both pointed out to him.

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Brethren, my heart`s desire and my supplication to God is for them, that they may be saved.
    2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge.
    17 So belief cometh of hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.
    18 But I say, Did they not hear? Yea, verily, Their sound went out into all the earth, And their words unto the ends of the world. Ro 10

18. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

I may be wrong, but those Jews , Devout men, from every nation I believe were Jews who returned to Jerusalem [from every nation], however what did occur on the Day f Pentecost was the beginning of the Fulfilling of Joel 2:28

And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

But the Gentiles did not partake I believe until Peter was sent to Cornelius Acts 10:36-46

36The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

37That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;

38How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

39And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:

40Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;

41Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.

42And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

43To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

44While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

This was a very historical transition period in the Economy of Salvation !

19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, the Church needed no such command to grow, with Christ as her head, who giveth the increase, it was inherent within her to do so. The heathen world had been made ripe and ready to embrace Christianity, the time for Japheth to inherit the tents of Shem had come.

(heehee, you ever tried to get a bona fide preacher called by God to quit preaching? I have preacher friends who never stop preaching)

20. drfuss

drfuss New Member

If the great commission was given to all Christians as some believe, why is it not mentioned more in the rest of the N. T.? I don't recall any instruction to laymen in Paul's letters, to preach the word or even to testify to one's neighbor. Maybe I missed it.

In most SBC churches, testifying to one's neighbor is a constant theme. Yet, I don't recall it being specifically addressed in the N. T. I am not suggesting that we should not testify to others; it is just that I don't recall it being addressed or stressed in the rest of the N. T. Why?