1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who will be IU's Next Coach?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Mar 21, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Here is a list of names compiled by Bloomington Hearld Times...

Thad Matta
    Tom Crean
    Mark Few
    John Calipari
    Rick Pitino
    Steve Alford
    Rick Majerus
    Billy Gillespie
    Mike Montgomery
    Randy Wittman
    Dan Dakich
    Rick Barnes
    Jay Wright
    Isiah Thomas
    Bruce Pearl
    Jim Crews
    Damon Bailey
    Pat Knight
    Mike Woodson
    Keith Smart
    John Beilein
    Quinn Buckner
    Dana Altman
    Jim Boeheim
    Kevin Stallings
    Skip Prosser
    Greg McDermott
    Jamie Dixon
    Quinn Snyder
    Mike Anderson
    Karl Hobbs
    Paul Hewitt
    Scott Drew
    Ben Braun
    Greg Marshall
    Terry Stotts
    Lawrence Frank

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Jim Boeheim? The same guy who lost the national championship to IU in 1987? He's on this list? [​IMG]

It looks they just took a bunch of names and put them on a list, regardless of whether the name makes sense or not. Hey, I hear Dean Smith isn't coaching anymore. How'd they miss adding him to this list? :D

3. PastorSBC1303

ccr, yeah I noticed that about the list too.

Who are the top guys you would like to be the coach?

I actually read a couple entries on a blog that suggested they should go after Coack K [​IMG]

I am an Indiana guy, but some amaze me as they think IU is the pinnacle of the college basketball world.

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Rick Pitino might not be a bad choice...
    why Isiah Thomas? He can't coach.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

How about Larry Bird! lol. Didn't he play for Indiana State? That would be funny if he coached IU.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

[​IMG]

I wonder what color the sky is in their world?

I just realized that Rick Barnes was on this list too. Considering the success he's had at Texas, why would he go to IU?

Matta, Boeheim, Barnes, Calipari, Pitino and Pearl shouldn't even be mentioned. They're not going anywhere.

If IU wants their program to become a train wreck, then Isaiah Thomas is your man.

I think most of the guys on the list are there simply because they coached under, or played for, Bob Knight. Jim Crews? Damon Bailey? Wittman? Dakich? Quinn Buckner for crying out loud? The Ghosts of Past IU Glory are haunting whoever compiled that list of coaches.

Alford is the most obvious choice, but he was adamant 4 years ago that he wasn't leaving Iowa. He's a decent enough coach, and the Indiana name would be enough to get better players than he's had at Iowa.

Honestly, I don't know who the best guy is that IU can realistically hope to land. I really think IU ought to look outside the Knight "family" of mediocre-at-best coaches.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Pitino is a good choice, but I just can't see him going to Indiana.

8. PastorSBC1303

Here are the names that I would conisder(not really in any specific order):

* Mark Few -- He has said many times he does not want to leave Gonzaga, but how much longer can he keep up having good teams there? I think at some point he would want to prove himself in a big conference.

* Tom Crean -- Big 10 experience as assistant for Izzo at Mich St. He has had some good teams at Marquette and been good at recruiting.

* Mike Montgomery -- had some great teams at Stanford before heading off to NBA. From what I read he has told friends that he is very interested if the school wants to talk.

* Billy Gillespie -- had a major turn around at Texas A&M. I watched them play a few times and I really like the way he coaches and his teams play really hard.

I know that many people think Alford is a slam dunk for this position. But I am not so sure. I think the longer this goes on, the less likely he is the guy. If he was the slam dunk choice then why have they not moved on it? Iowa State already jumped out and got their new coach with the Northern Iowa guy McDermott.

I would love to see Calipari or Pitino if they are interested. But I seriously doubt they would come. Calipari would probably come before Pitino would.

I also agree Isaiah Thomas would be a train wreck. I read later that he went to the AD more to promote Randy Whittman than to push himself. But who knows.

I have also see Majerus posted a lot. If he was healthy he would be a good candidate, but I don't think IU wants their coach having a massive heart attack on their sidelines anytime soon.

I cannot see Barnes as a candidate either. But I did read that Mark Cuban (Indiana Grad) has made it known that he would donate as much money as they needed to get Barnes to come.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Interesting list there, Pastor.

37 names, the way I counted it. More coaches on the list than schools to ever win the NCAA BB Div. I title, as of now, in its history.

Consider this. Only 36 different schools have ever won the NCAA Division I 'crown' in the 67 years of the tournament, and five schools of those, won three or more, with IU winning five. Coach Mike K. and Coach Bob K are the only two active coaches with three each, as well. Guess among active coaches, one could say that they have done the best job of "K"ayoing other teams. :eek: :rolleyes: [​IMG]

On a serious note, the basketball world is a little poorer and sadder [​IMG] this week with the passing of Ray Meyer. One of the all time class acts to ever sit on the bench.

Ed [​IMG]

10. Convicted by the Spirit

Here are a few odd ball choices:

Isaiah Thomas ... he graduated from from the school and was a great success there. Also, he is about to be out of a job and management in the NBA is not his thing.

Rick Majerus ... he seems an interesting pick. He loves college basketball and this is a basketball state.

Bob Knight ... just seeing if your paying attention. [​IMG]

11. PastorSBC1303

Yeah I think they just threw every name they could even think of in the mix.

IU has definitely been a top program in college basketball. I hope the next coach can get them in the position to contend for a National Title once again. Knight and Coach K (who have quite the connection) have been 2 of the better coaches all time.

That is so very true. Growing up in NW Indiana in the suburbs of Chicago I heard a lot about Ray Meyer. What has happened to his son Joey who coached Depaul for several years?

12. PastorSBC1303

No thanks. He was a great player at IU and a great player in the NBA. But everything he has tried to do following his playing days has been a disaster. Just look at the Knicks this year, they are in shambles.

As I stated above, if he was healthy he would be a top choice. He is a good coach and he has a lot contacts in Indiana from his days at Ball St. But he is not the right choice for IU this time around. He needs to focus on his health.

[​IMG] There are A LOT of people in Indiana that would love this to be the case.

13. Convicted by the Spirit

actually Isaiah was more of a joke, he is the last person I would want running my team. I was really surprised when he got the NY job because of his track record.

14. PastorSBC1303

15. PastorSBC1303

And Indy Star blog writer posted a question of who the readers would want as their #1 choice for coach. There were 274 votes in a 24 hour period. Here is the top vote getters:

1. John Calipari..........73 (26.7 percent)
    2. Mark Few...............25 (9.1 percent)
    3. Steve Alford...........24 (8.8 percent)
    Billy Gillispie........24 (8.8 percent)
    5. Tom Crean..............19 (6.9 percent)
    6. Billy Donovan..........15 (5.5 percent)
    7. Thad Matta.............14 (5.1 percent)
    8. Mike Montgomery........10 (3.6 percent)
    9. Rick Pitino.............8 (2.9 percent)
    10. Mark Turgeon...........5 (1.8 percent)

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Must've been a slow news day to print that many names, especially with so many names on there that will NEVER take the job (Boeheim, Pearl, et.al.) and some that will never be offered the job (Thomas, Bailey, Pat Knight, et.al.).

Few can stay at Gonzaga, run through a weak conference every year, and win a game or two in the dance and be a hero in Spokane. He can't do that at IU. If Tom Crean wants a job, he'd better take it. He turned down some good jobs when Marquette made their run a few years ago with Dwayne Wade. Big mistake. They hadn't been heard from since until this year.

Let me throw in a name that is oftened mentioned but is always a "bridesmaid" - Gregg Marshall, from Winthrop. He was in the final pool at UT before Buzz Peterson was offered the job, and was contacted before Pearl was given the job this time around. However, he, too can win the Big South every other year and live rather comfortably.

I put NO stock in that poll. Online newspaper polls are considered to be some of the least reliable.

I believe Alford to be the favorite still. He's proven himself as a coach. He's got the IU pedigree. He fits the bill.

I hope Mike Davis gets a job soon. Ole Miss, are you listening?

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

If Few has an idea of leaving Gonzaga for IU, he should look no further than what has happened to his predecessor at Gonzaga, Dan Monson. Monson took Gonzaga to the Final 8, then skipped town for greener (well, icier perhaps), pastures at Minnesota. According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Monson is not expected to be back next year. Back to the topic, the expectations will be much higher at IU than they are at Gonzaga.

18. PastorSBC1303

This may be, but the reports are that IU has it down to 2 major candidates and Alford has not been contacted.

If Alford is the guy, why is it taking this long?

I think the AD is going to go for someone else.

On a side note, how about Bob Huggins going to Kansas State?

[ March 23, 2006, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: PastorSBC1303 ]

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Let's assume that there are some secret talks going on between Alford and IU. If so, the answer to your question is green. If Alford really is the guy, then the interview he's reportedly going to have at Missouri is a ruse to get more coin out of IU. BTW, I've heard one of the major candidates is Randy Wittman. Who's the other?

Aside from his volatility, I put Huggins on the same level as Crean. Fine coaches that recruited a major player capable of taking them to the Final 4 (Nick van Exel and Dwayne Wade, respectively), but their coaching pedigree isn't quite up to the level of guys who take teams to the Final 4 that aren't the most talented in the field (like, say, Tom Izzo).

20. PastorSBC1303

Ccr you may be right, guess we will just have to wait and see.

I don't like Wittman as a candidate at all. An assistant in the NBA does not know college basketball.

I dont know who the other major candidate is, I don't think anyone does. Maybe we will be completely surprised by the selection.