1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who will be the new president at SEBTS?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Speedpass, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Daniel Akin?
    David Dockery?
    Craig Blassing?
    Timothy George?
    Russell Moore?

Any and all suggestions are welcome :D

2. ruthigirl

ruthigirl New Member

I know my husband strongly dislikes George.

He hopes it will be Akin or Blaising.

3. NateT

NateT Member

I have a good reason to believe that Akin isn't going anywhere.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think Akin might be a candidate, but he loves the classroom an awful lot. A close colleague of Patterson, Akin is a gentleman of the first order.

George isn't going anywhere. Neither is Dockery. While I'd love to see either one of them there, their current positions are "prestigious" enough to keep them where they are.

Moore doesn't have the resume.

Richard Land has been mentioned as a possible candidate. Has the academic credentials, but not the practical ministry resume. I don't think he has the people skills necessary, either.

Craig Blaising would make an intriguing selection. Quallified, for sure. Not sure if they'll consider him, though.

I think James Merritt would be a darkhorse. He has a Ph.D. and has the scholar/pastor balance that SEBTS would like.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

May I ask why?

6. ruthigirl

ruthigirl New Member

Because of his connection to Beeson Divinity.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prestigious?

Wow... I'd hope that people are not in vocational ministry for the sake of ego, prestige, power, or fame.

I may have unfairly taken what you said in the worst possible way, but when I was in seminary I got very tired of hearing fellow students talking about their "careers" in ministry and how they were going to try to work up to bigger and bigger churches.

Too many vocational ministers appear to make their goal in life a pursuit of wealth, power and prestige. In my opinion, this pursuit of worldly measure of success and self-indulgence is the root of many denominational problems in Baptist life -- regardless of theological differences.

Faithfulness to God's calling is not as easy to measure as the unholy trinity of baptisms, budgets and buildings or the denominational offices held, but God will hold everyone to His own standards.

(This is not to say that all "successful" ministers are not in perfect obedience to God, but I know too many of them who seem to care more for the perks, power and prestige.)

I'll stop ranting now. [​IMG]

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

BB, I concur completely. But you know as well as I that the perceived notions (if nothing else) of prestige will keep SEBTS from offering the position to some. They'd probably kill to have Mohler there. But no way Mohler would leave MOTHER for SEBTS :D Union is considered the mother of SB colleges (as its oldest). Beeson has staked its own claim.

9. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

While Akin would be content to remain at SBTS, he will not do so. Two obvious reasons why:

1) He will receive an enormous amount of pressure from the big dogs (Patterson, Vines, Rogers, etc.) to take the position. Mohler is the only one saying he should not do it, and his reasons are obvious. Remember Patterson basically raised up Akin. Blood is thicker than water.

2) IT IS A PRESIDENCY!!! Opportunities like this only arise occasionally.

Danny Akin has been a personal friend and mentor of mine for 10 years, and I will be shocked if he does not make the transition (yet I will not be shocked if he stays at SBTS).

One thing is for certain: the position has yet to be offered to him & the decision has yet to be made.

Merrit will not do it. He just planted a new church. He is not going anywhere.

Dockery and George are not in the Patterson family and are not always recognized as influencers during the resurgence (which is important).

Blaising is a true academic mind, but he does not fit the presidency mold for SEBTS.

In my mind, there are no options but Akin.

The more interesting question then becomes, who can serve in Akin's capacity at SBTS? It will take a special person to offset Mohler.

10. NateT

NateT Member

I am greedily wanting Akin to stay put. In a trip to SBTS I inquired about it, and that response was why I said I didn't think he'd leave.

As I discussed it with my wife, I said I want him to stay, loved him for Christian Theology 1 and 2, but at the same time, if he leaves, I think Mohler can find a replacement. He's done a good job so far in staffing SBTS.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I've known Dr. Akin a while, too. I know his passion for the classroom. As president, he'd get to teach one class a year, tops.

I think SEBTS would be blessed to have him.

Let me throw out another darkhorse: If you want to stay in the Patterson family, do you think Mark Howell would be an option? After all, he's Paige's son-in-law!

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Nate,
    Correct. I can think of several names right off the top of my head that Dr. Mohler would probably give the chance to fill Dr. Akin's spot, and that's just from inside the Southern family.

13. All about Grace

I've known Dr. Akin a while, too. I know his passion for the classroom. As president, he'd get to teach one class a year, tops.

He teaches little to no theology right now. He does teach a few master's level preaching classes but basically b/c SBTS has no one else to do it. He does enjoy his DMin & PhD seminars, but those opportunities will still be available as prez. IMO his "passion" for teaching has dwindled in recent years. His strength is administration.

Let me throw out another reason he is the one: he has preached for hundreds of SBC churches in the last several years. He is well-liked and respected by mega pastors and rural pastors. The presidency is largely about fund-raising and PR. Akin would be excellent at both.

I think SEBTS would be blessed to have him.

Indeed they would. I first got to know Akin while he was at SEBTS the first time and he is definitely a fit for them.

Let me throw out another darkhorse: If you want to stay in the Patterson family, do you think Mark Howell would be an option? After all, he's Paige's son-in-law!

Anyone who knows Mark knows he is definitely not ready for a presidency. He married into the family but he is no Paige.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

And he enjoys it! Besides, SBTS is loaded with theology profs but only Akin and York are able to teach preaching now.
    Not really. He'd be very limited. You do more work in those seminars than in master's level classes, though the time spent in the classroom is less.
    The folks at FBC Little Rock disagree with you :D

Either way, I'd love to see Dr. Akin take the job because he's qualified.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

May I ask what he has against Beeson?

16. All about Grace

Maybe so. But I believe the position will have to be filled carefully. It will take an Akin-type person to offset Mohler's Calvinism. Akin was ideal. He is not a 5-pointer. He has thick skin. He knows both large and small church pastors. He is well-liked. He is able to work with Mohler.

Any suggestions of others who meet these criterion? I know the insiders at SBTS are extremely worried who can replace Akin if he leaves.

17. ruthigirl

ruthigirl New Member

I personally do not know much about them. My husband has spoken of them before. They are no friend of the takeback. They still have the 1963 BFM as their defining thought. They are too loose in where they stand. It is hard to teach solid theology when you have Anglicans, Methodists, Presbyterian, and two other non-baptist chair in your Seminary. These are just some reasons. Another would be that Samford is just another haven for reprobates to get a Bible degree. For all of their problems, they could be worse. They could be BGCT.

18. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh no!!! They’re obviously Satan’s spawn!!! :eek:

Nice. :rolleyes:

We love you too.

By any chance, is “Daniel David” your husband? [​IMG]

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Maybe so. But I believe the position will have to be filled carefully. It will take an Akin-type person to offset Mohler's Calvinism. Akin was ideal. He is not a 5-pointer. He has thick skin. He knows both large and small church pastors. He is well-liked. He is able to work with Mohler.

Any suggestions of others who meet these criterion? I know the insiders at SBTS are extremely worried who can replace Akin if he leaves.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I wouldn't want to float the names as some are friends and may or may not even have an interest. I'll just say I think there are people local, and now part of the Southern family, that could be promoted or given the job. Extended members of the family could be brought in, too.

I agree that Akin would be tough to replace and carries the banner for Southern in a way that appeals to the broader SBC masses. Replacing Akin is harder than replacing Patterson.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Beeson has a tremendous reputation, particularly in being Reformed. A close colleague teaches preaching there. And Charles Carter is a conservative's conservative, who has a hot heart for evangelism.

Besides, Baptists aren't the only ones (?) doctrinally orthodox in the essentials.

Our experiences with Beeson are night and day. I guess we'll leave it at that.