1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who will be the next Baptist Pope?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by KPBAP, Apr 3, 2005.

1. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

Pope John Paul II has passed and the world awaits the next pope of the Catholic church.
    In recent weeks, Jerry Falwell's health continues to decline. Who will take up the Fundamentalist banner?
    Al Mohler????

2. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a problem with Al Mohler?????

3. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

Several

4. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not wanting to argue, but I am curious as to what your objections are?

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Jerry Falwell is not my pope, and I am as Baptist as they come.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Baptists have a pope? I must have missed that bit of information in my 30 years as a Baptist. :confused:

As for Jerry Falwell, he is still in the hospital, but is gaining strength. His condition has been UPGRADED to fair.

Richmond Times-Dispatch Apr 3, 2005
    The Rev. Jerry Falwell is gaining strength and increasing his exercise at Lynchburg General Hospital, a hospital spokesman said yesterday.

Falwell, 71, remains in fair condition after suffering respiratory arrest Monday, spokesman Tom Urtz said. Falwell had been listed as critically ill but stable when he first arrived at the hospital. He was upgraded to fair condition Friday.

"Monitoring continues to show that Rev. Falwell's heart is strong," Urtz said.

LINK

7. Gib

Gib Active Member

What? Get the pope out of here.

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I love Falwell. I don't follow him. Some of my doctrine is a little different. But I love Falwell. I wish him well.

Al Mohler would be great to pick up the mantle of historic fundamentalism.

SBC didn't have their fundamental/modernist controversy until the 80s, but this time the fundamentalists won! PTL.

But hyper-fundamentalists won't fellowship with him, just like they don't fellowship with Falwell.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am a Christian first, Baptist second. The reason being is I have led Baptists to Jesus over the years. Some of those were members of Baptist churches and others claimed to be Baptists.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you think Falwell has gotten more liberal, stayed the same or gotten more conservative over time? Personally I think he has turned from preaching scripture to being more opinionated.

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I am waiting to hear the problems with Mohler? :confused:

12. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

Other than being obnoxious, egotistic, closing down the student's daycare center and spending WAY too much of SBC member's money on remodeling his home, and office (carpeted in a practical WHITE carpet), his theology is too narrow for me.
    What disturbs me most is how Baptists have elevated pastors and their seminary presidents to such high levels of status and income, they have lost perspective in being servants. They cater to wealthy tithers and supporters. Having worked for two SBC seminaries, myself....I guess I have seen too much from the inside.
    Most Baptists don't know what they believe so they pay someone to speak for them, such as Falwell, Mohler, Patterson and others.............

13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Well you are welcome to your opinion....but hey atleast you are not bitter :rolleyes:

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

thankfully the Baptists don't have a Pope...even though at some seminaries it might seem different the convention as whole moves differently.

the fundamentalist/modernist (I don't call it that rather fundamentalist/historical southern baptist) fight is far from over. The onslaught of fundamentalists within the SBC has reached a apex and has been spurned by the convention of churches. Fundamentalists have attempted to take over our strong convention and have been held back for years now. Their day is done.

KPBAP has some legitimate points above, particularly about the elevation of particular people, yet I disagree with the assessment that Dr. Falwell (for as much as I admire him) is anything close to a Pope.

15. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

You could never get a concensus of opinion from the Baptist "cardinals" to ever select a pope. But you could get them to appoint a committee!

16. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

Thanks, friends for your remarks and praise God we can all share our opinions, retain our sense of humor and work together!!

17. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

KPBAP says, "What disturbs me most is how Baptists have elevated pastors and their seminary presidents to such high levels of status and income, they have lost perspective in being servants. They cater to wealthy tithers and supporters."

How can he make such a blanket indictment? I know nothing about KPBAP, but based on this statement, I would guess that he has a real problem with pastors. Maybe he is a disgruntled deacon or layman who wishes he had been called to be a pastor...or maybe even ran from the call. Now it gripes him to see some pastors doing well in ministry and in the area of finances.

Reminds me of the saying we have all heard... "Lord, give us a humble, poor pastor. You keep him humble and we will keep him poor."

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Talk about NEW Baptists ...

Our "fundamental/modernist" controversy led to the 1923 BFM (AND two new Independent denominations) ...

19. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Here we go again.... to begin with.. I wouldnt call anyone in the SBC a fundamentalist if they were Cooperative Program supporting, Nashville-kissing folks like some of my classmates. Indeed, the term "fundamental" has taken on a new meaning. Such folks... as described, would be better termed as "conservative Baptists" or "conservative Evangelical". As an SBC student, the terms "conservative", "moderate", and "liberal" were used. Fundamentalist.. no.

Patterson, Criswell, Chuck Kelley, etc.. those guys are not fundamentalists. J. Frank Norris and that gang were the fundamentalists in the SBC. It's just a label, if you disagree thats fine, its not a big deal, but I can tell you, there is no chance any of the SBC "fundamentalists" will ever be looked upon as a leader for Ind Baptists on a widescale basis.

Fundamentalist pope?? Someone that is respected? See the problem with Ind Baptists is they are so alma mater-loyal they will want someone from their own school. The Hyles folks will want Schapp or Corle, the Tenn Temple folks will want someone from their school, Okla Bapt College will want Vineyard, etc etc.. so there wont be any "pope" because the Ind Baptists are so factionalized. It's like that with the Ind Baptist deaf too.

In the SBC, Adrian Rogers, Jerry Vines, such folks are good preachers and could well surface as the new spokesman. For some reason, Fox news, CNN, etc, always turn to Falwell and not Billy or Franklin Graham.

My .02 worth

tim

20. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Giving credit where it's due.. when I was at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, Landrum Leavell was the president. That man, had some kind of.. ummmm shine about him. He was friendly to me, always tried to talk to me when I saw him, he was very smart, an EXCELLENT preacher and is the man responsible mostly for the growth that school has seen. Now Chuck Kelley has taken over as President and I dont have any opinion about his leadership. The school had some very good professors and unfortunately I only had a few of the good ones.
    I could look up to Leavell as a leader of a group.