1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WHo will win it all?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorFaulk, Aug 2, 2007.

1. PastorFaulk

PastorFaulk New Member

NBA my vote is for a spurs repeat.... Who do you think, will the new KG Celts, LJ and Co, or will Dirk and Cuban finaly get their ring.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Spurs or Dallas. I would hope Dallas would be pretty ticked after getting swept.

As a Cavs fan, I don't see any team in the east good enough to beat either team currently, Celtics included.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The Gambino Family.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

:laugh:

Evidently, the NBA is considering firing Donaghy. Here's the link.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

:laugh:

A.J. Soprano has a good job of winning MVP. Paulie is going to be a great sixth man. If only Christopher was still with us :thumbs:

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Considering firing him? They had to think about it?

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Did you follow the link, Tom?

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think Dallas will put it together this next year and finally win it all.

Am I the only one that thinks the three superstars in Boston is an implosion waiting to happen? I am tired of hearing how they are now the team to beat in the East, etc.

9. PastorFaulk

PastorFaulk New Member

Its the lakers malone payton briant shaq all over again... tremendous tallent, tremendous ego.... A team (like the spurs) will always overcome a group of individuals!

10. PastorSBC1303

The Spurs very well may win it all again. However, at some point age and/or injuries are going to catch up with them. Also, I believe Dallas is a team that has been built to beat San Antonio.

Welcome to the BB and the sports area PastorFaulk :wavey:

11. PastorFaulk

PastorFaulk New Member

Our greatest fear is that Dirk will show up to play!(few... were glad he takes vacation during the playoffs) I think I was almost as exited whe GS won this year, as when we won it all.

12. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I predict the Spurs again. boston's problem will not be with the super stars, but they dont have anyone around them or to come off the bench. those boys are not spring chickens anymore and will have injury issues if overplayed.

I'm afraid Dallas lost its one and only shot vs Miami - but I'm still a MFFL (mavs fan for life!)

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You're probably not the only one, but I don't think it is. What you have there are 3 guys who've never been on a winner and will do whatever it takes to win. They are definitely a contender in that conference.

2 problems with this.

#1, Neither Pierce, KG, nor Allen have the egos that Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton do/did. I don't think those guys will have a problem co-existing.

#2, Both KG and Allen are past their prime to different degrees, but not as far past their primes as Malone and Payton were.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ah, no, not til just now. Joke's on me :tonofbricks:

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No. I'm also officially on board with calling the East the J.V. division of the NBA (unfortunately putting me in the uncomfortable spot with agreeing with Stephen A. Smith of ESPN). Maybe the Celtics are now the official sacrificial lamb of the East. I know Ainge hasn't been able to get it done, and now he's banking his hopes on guys who haven't been able to get it done.

16. PastorSBC1303

You also have 3 guys who are all going to want the ball, and you have a team with really no depth or bench at all after giving up 5 players and 2 draft picks. They better hope for a good year healthwise.

If this decision does not work for the Celtics, they are going to struggle rebuilding after losing so many players and draft picks.

In some ways it reminds me of the Hershael Walker trade in the NFL back in the day.

They are no doubt a playoff team now in the East, but I would hardly call them the team to beat and a team that is going to win a championship this coming year as I heard one guy proclaim on ESPN.

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Do those 3 have a reputation for being ballhogs and having huge egos that I've never heard about? I didn't think any of those guys had a Kobe-like ego.

Besides, wanting the ball and doing whatever it takes to win are mutually exclusive. 3 guys can't be ball hogs and still be ready to give up the ball if that's what the team needs.

I agree with the no depth and somewhat about the bench, and if the C's don't do anything to address those needs, that will be their undoing. The alternative to what they've done is to do what they did last season, which netted them the 2nd worst record in the NBA, tanking aside. Adding the 5th pick wasn't going to turn them into a playoff contender.

No question it's a huge gamble, but if the idea is to win championships, then the C's are setup to challenge for at least the next couple of seasons. I don't know what they do in 2010 and beyond, but I give them credit for trying to do something in 2008 and 2009.

18. PastorSBC1303

While none of them have a Kobe-like ego, each of them have been the respective "go-to" player on their teams. No matter how much they will say they are willing to make it work for winning, etc, do you not think when the game is on the line there is going to be tension regarding who is the man on this team? If that tension develops at some point do you not see it upsetting the chemistry of the team and suddenly the mindset of doing it all for the team may go out the window.

I think Garnett and Pierce are going to have the toughest time adjusting to the situation. IMO, Ray Allen will be able to adjust and make it work. But it will not work unless all 3 are able to adjust.

It may work, but I am just doubtful of them meshing as well in the season as they will talk about going into the season. I think it will also take longer for them to adjust than some others do. IMO, their opportunity to really have a great year will be 2008-09, not this next year.

I agree, but saying that now and doing it in the regular season are 2 completely different things.

This is true. You have to give them credit for trying. However, they gave up 2 young players that most feel like are on the edge of becoming really good players in the NBA, plus 2 future draft picks that could end up coming back to bite them.

This is true as well. And they had better win a championship in the next couple of years, or it maybe a really long drought again in Boston.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who will be the role players on that team? I don't see too many...

20. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

If this were something like Lebron and Kobe on the same team, I think there's a concern. But it's not. It's KG and Pierce. KG is not a big-time crunch-time scorer and never has been. I don't think this is will be an issue at all. Famous last words, right? :)

If anything, their point guard situation will kill them. They have a 2nd year guy who didn't play enough as a rookie and a rookie. Unless Rondo develops very quickly, I don't think that's going to get the job done.