1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who wrote chapter 4 of Daniel?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by glorybound012001, May 20, 2004.

1. glorybound012001

Who wrote this chapter.Was it Nebuchadnezzar or Daniel.It is written in the first person leading me to believe that Nebuchadnezzar wrote it.

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Daniel wrote it.

The Scriptures were penned by holy men of God. Somehow, methinks that Nebuchadnezzar falls a wee bit short of that.

3. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

4. glorybound012001

Yes,but after he was in the fields for 7 years didn't he surrender to God.The reason I am asking is that I heard Frank Harper(A Baptist Preacher on the radio from Colleyville,Texas)say that Nebby wrote chapter 4.I too believe that Daniel wrote it and so does everything that I have read to research it.Just wanted to hear from some of our esteemed brothers and sisters on the board to see if any of them have ever heard this theory.

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Nebby only admitted that he was not in charge. He was hardly a believer.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now wait a minute - you don't think Neb got "saved"? I think that is the point of including his "testimony" in Daniel 4.

And I believe Daniel and a great many others had a part in a great deal of the book we call Daniel. (Just as Samuel did not write II Samuel nor even Moses all of the Penteteuch)

7. glorybound012001

I didn't say he got saved,I said he surrended to God.You can acknowledge God and admit He is all powerful and still not be saved.I was just real curious about Frank Harpers statement that Nebby wrote chapter 4

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

My point is that Nebby couldn't have written it if he wasn't saved. I don't think he was. I think he was a picture of the antichrist and remained such.

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think Daniel wrote it. I am slightly inclined to think Neb was saved ... But who knows for sure ...

Bob, when do you think Daniel was written? And it sounds like you are denying Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch ... :confused:

10. aefting

aefting New Member

I think it is very likely that Daniel 4 is Nebuchadnezzar’s salvation testimony.

He starts in 4:1 with a message of peace to the entire world, remarkable for this warrior, kingdom building, king.

Refers to what the Most High God has done for *him* in 4:2.

Proclaims God’s kingdom and dominion to be everlasting in 4:3 – significant movement beyond what Neb declared in 2:47 when Daniel revealed to him the truths of God’s future kingdom, especially when you consider what Neb did in chapter 3 by building a solid gold statue of himself. Previously Neb is in defiance to the true God and His kingdom, now Neb is aligned with God’s plan.

In 4:34 you have Neb looking to heaven for deliverance from his condition and honoring God when his reason returned.

In 4:34 you have Neb reiterating his statements concerning God’s kingdom and dominion.

In 4:35 he (1) declares that man is accounted as nothing [again remarkable considering how rulers at that time considered themselves], (2) that God does His will in heaven and on earth, (3) that God has all power [“none can stay his hand”] and (4) that God has all authority [none can say “What have you done?”]. All this is remarkable theology from a Babylonian king.

In 4:37, Neb declares that all God’s ways are right and just and that God is able to humble those who walk in pride, again praising God with excellent theology.

When you consider that Neb had interaction with four believers, special revelation given directly to him, and a testimony of a changed life, now glorifying God in a personal manner unlike anything he had done in previous chapters, I think a strong case can be made for Neb’s salvation.

As to the question at hand, I think Daniel wrote it, perhaps using an official proclamation of the king for this chapter.

Andy

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I don't think Nebu was a child of God. Whatever he said in praise of God, he said only to affirm that of his many gods, this one particular God was the strongest and the mightiest.

But, who knows, I wasn't there when God wrote the names of His elect in the book of Life.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you know me better than that! Never been accused of being liberal!

I believe that much of Genesis was oral tradition, passed down through generations. Moses compiled it. And if Moses wrote Deut 34 I'll eat it! (Clue: HE WAS DEAD)

As was Samuel DEAD all the days of II Samuel! Others wrote it, added it to the book that bears his name.

I believe that Daniel had additional help writing that book, too. Various styles, linquistic features, etc too complex for this discussion. (I DON'T agree it was written in 100-200 BC by Pharisees who were rewriting history to give themselves a hero in Daniel - view of most Jewish scholarship).

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I was just curious Bob. It sounded strange, even for you ... :D

Mosaic authorship does not demand that all hte material was original with Moses. It is possible that some of it was passed down through oral tradition. THe inspiration of the Spirit ensures us that Moses wrote it and that it is indeed accurate.

As for Duet 34, it is possible that it was written by Moses before his death.

As for Samuel, I don't know of anyone who claims that Samuel wrote 1 and 2 Samuel.

As for Daniel, I am not sure what "additional help" means. I think he wrote it all in the 6th century BC.

Anyway, I was just curious about what exactly you meant by that ...

14. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I think it's pretty darn unlikely that Nebuchadnezzar wrote any of Daniel! I also highly doubt he was "saved" but I guess that's up to God.

I also think Dr Bob is right about the Pentateuch. The writings have the features of a compilation of traditions - with final redaction by Moses (and some after him) being quite reasonable.

15. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Actually, Charles, Moses wrote it all by the inspiration of the Spirit. There was no compiliation. This is such a desperate attempt to reason with the liberals.

Where was Moses? In Pharoah's court.
    Where did Moses study? In Pharoah's library.

At what time did he get this "oral tradition"? What passed it to him? This is more of a leap of faith than saying someone other than Moses entirely wrote it.

Moses wrote it by direct revelation from God. He had no help. He had no one passing him information. Give me a break.

16. Charles Meadows

"So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab..."

Yea I bet Moses wrote that! [​IMG]

17. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Are you saying God couldn't have inspired Moses to record his own death? Moses already knew he wasn't going to enter the promised land.

You know, when you laugh because you don't understand...

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think we are questioning Moses' authorship of the Penteteuch by saying that the final chapter in the final book was added by Joshua AFTER Moses died.

You seriously envision God having Moses write in the past tense all those details? S'pose He could have so "dictated" it, but that is not the indication of the text.

Nor Daniel having Neb share his "testimony" in Daniel 4.

19. Charles Meadows

"Actually, Charles, Moses wrote it all by the inspiration of the Spirit. There was no compiliation."

I actually agree with you on some of your post DD. Moses DID have all the skills necessary.

I don't see anything liberal about assuming Moses position as the author of most of the books with some being completed after his death.