1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why A Manger?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by John Wells, Dec 2, 2001.

1. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Why did God choose to make His incarnate entry into the world start out in a manger?

I'll share my thoughts after a few of yours! Also a good excuse to get off of these incessant Armenian/Calvinist going nowhere debates!

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: John Wells ]

2. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Hi,
    I am not very good at defending my position but I am learning. So here goes.
    I think that our Lord Christ Jesus came to this world by way of the manger becasue the Good Lord, The Father, teaches us to have a humble heart.
    But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant...and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted. Mat.23:1112
    It is that simple for me.

3. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rosa:
    Hi,
    I am not very good at defending my position but I am learning. So here goes.
    I think that our Lord Christ Jesus came to this world by way of the manger becasue the Good Lord, The Father, teaches us to have a humble heart.
    But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant...and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted. Mat.23:1112
    It is that simple for me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rosa -

You are exactly right. The Lord came as the Servant King.
    Matthew 20:25-28 (ESV)
    But Jesus called them to him and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. [26] It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, [27] and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, [28] even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

What more lowly, humble estate could Christ be born than the feeding trough of filthy animals?

Philip. 2:5-8 (ESV)
    Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, [6] who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, [7] but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, [8] he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think your right Rose, when I forst read this thread, I was tring to find a way to put that kind of answer into words, yours are great.

5. Joy

Joy New Member

I agree that humility is the answer. Jewish people just didn't do things like that. It was very offensive to them, yet our Lord showed us that he was humble enough to be born in a manger, and to die on a cross- another anathama to a Jew. Praise His holy name!

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I was thinking,,, hum, I know a dangerous occupation for some of us..
    Jesus was to be born a King, and you just wouldn't find a king in a manger, I think it means HE is acessable to all, kings and shephards, even to the lowliest(is the spelled right, doesn't look right, anyway, you know what I mean). Just a thought I had.

7. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Why, as part of God’s plan for mankind, was a manger included in the scheme of things? What possible meaning/significance could that have?

The prevalent and popular conclusion is that it was for His purpose, His sake, i.e. to establish His humility. I believe a little differently, although this is not meant to stir up a debate or division. I believe the view I’m about to reveal is simply a beautiful truth. I believe Jesus began His incarnate sojourn into the world He created via a manger for our sakes!

When we think of a manger, a feeding trough, in a barn (stable), let us savor the environment. Let us take in with all our senses the conditions in which Jesus was born. Ah, the aroma of manure and other animal smells! The stench of hay mixed with waste products of camels, donkeys, horses, cows, goats, etc. Hardly the place anyone would want to expose a newborn baby, with all the germs, filth, and stench. Jesus came into the world . . . came into this environment of His own choosing, will and purpose! Why!

Jesus’ grand entry into humanity, like many events of the Bible, is symbolic. Jesus chose to enter the world and humanity by launching straightway into the filthy, stinky, aspect of life. Likewise, Jesus is willing to enter the filthy, stinky hearts of everyone of us! Jesus knows that many will put off making Him Lord of their lives because they feel they have to do some “cleaning up” first.

The statement made by Jesus with “The Manger” is: It doesn’t matter how filthy your heart is. It doesn’t matter how bad your life stinks. I will come into the midst of it! Nothing you have done or could do is too filthy or stinky for me. I was born into humanity’s filth and stench! Don’t think you have to clean up your heart, your life, to make room for me. Let me come into the midst of the filth and stench of your life. I will transform you. I will make a new creature out of you. Don’t wait or put off inviting me into your life until you have a nice guestroom for me. I’ll gladly stay in your barn. I’ll gladly live in your filth and stench until my sanctifying power begins to clean you up!

8. DocCas

DocCas New Member

The answer is so obvious! If there had been no manger, we would not be able to sing "Away in the Manger" this Christmas season! :D

9. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas Cassidy:
    The answer is so obvious! If there had been no manger, we would not be able to sing "Away in the Manger" this Christmas season! :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't that the truth?! Welcome back Dr. Cassidy. [​IMG]

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think Joseph & Mary would have found plenty of room in the hotels IF they hadn't been stopped on every street corner by little Arab kids trying to sell them olive camels and mangers.

Real reason? Bread of Life born in Beth-lechem (house of bread) and placed in a feeding trough. Really good pix there! <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

11. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

John
    Sounds like you have spent some time in our barn. [​IMG] You capture its "flavour" well although its horses not camels etc. at our place.

Lk. 13:18 He said therefore, "What is the kingdom of God like? And to what should I compare it?
    19 It is like a mustard seed that someone took and sowed in the garden; it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its branches."
    20 And again he said, "To what should I compare the kingdom of God?
    21 It is like yeast that a woman took and mixed in with three measures of flour untill all of it was leavened."

The manger was certainly an inauspicious beginning for something so grand and wonderful. Kind of like a mustard seed and yeast.

Russell

12. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Russell,

Yes, from the dangerous beginnings of germs and filth surrounding His birth, to the flight to Egypt to avoid murder, to His servant-minded ministry, to His death/burial/resurrection, to His place at the right hand of God . . . what a glorious journey for Jesus the Christ!

God bless you this Christmas season Russell!
    John