1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Why All Good Christians Should Celebrate Halloween"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Oh brother, you know that is not at all what she is saying.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How is it different? I mean when we get right down to it? Often Orthodox and Catholics are accused of having done just this thing and are condemned for it. Yet this very practice is condoned for things like Halloween? Don't you see the inconsistency?

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But you are doing it and you know what you are doing is exactly what you condemn. However, in my greeting my neighbors and giving their children candy, I am not worshipping Satan, I am not celebrating some pagan holiday nor am I blaspheming the name of God. Instead I am showing hospitality and grace to my neighbors and just maybe, it will allow me a greater influence in their lives to introduce them to the God of the harvest.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But in essense you are celebrating a pagan holiday. You may not be engaged in worshiping satan but are participating in the activities that were considered a part of that. So in essense how is what you are doing any different from what I'm doing?

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I don't think she is doing that. She described celebrating a day children can have some fun and play dress up, show off their costumes to the neighbors and get a treat. That is the reality of what halloween is in this country. The fact that it means so much more to you, it probably is best you don't participate.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well, nothing to them. We Baptists however, believe that we should as a matter of Christian practice, worship God in "spirit and truth". We can't Christianize idols for that reason. For similar reasons, I don't pray to Mary or the "saints". We have absolutely no scripture to support such a thing.

However, Paul says "One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every dayalike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it." (Romans 14:5-6a)

We have leave to celebrate whatever we wish as long as we celebrate unto the Lord.

Because the Lord says, "Love thy God and love thy neighbor as thyself", I don't celebrate Halloween by tossing my teen boys into the bog, because I don't want to be tossed myself, nor does God request me to sacrifice my children. I am NO LONGER IN BONDAGE. Therefore, I can hand out enough candy to fill a barrel and not worry about sin, I like candy, so I am treating my neighbors kindly and God has nothing but good to say about giving generously. I can even decorate my yard with fun but spooky decorations, because I KNOW who is in control and that I have nothing more to fear from death! Isn't that what the Good News is all about?

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thats true. However, there is no scripture for the celebration of Samhain or Christ - mass which is a celebration of Sol Invictus either. Because the Lord says to "come out from among them" we should celebrate their holidays either.

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Costumes were essential aspects of Samhain and the feast of the dead. So it sounds like thats exactly what she is doing.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Like I said earlier, since so much of the meanings are evil for you, it is probably best you don't participate.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The key word here was "were".

Remember that even our calendar is based on paganism. So do you forgo the calendar as well??

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Steven you probably don't know me very well. Which is cool. Annsi does know and she know's I'm just instigating. But at the same time pointing out an inconsistency I believe is evident in this thread. I really don't have a problem with Holloween though honestly I like to call it harvest festival and though I'm not a fan of my kids dressing up and getting candy I don't prohibit it either. I also hand out candy to anyone who comes by. (and hand out a chick tract telling them that they are going to hell for celebrating samhain - Just Kidding). However, my favorite holiday is Thanksgiving which I like more than Christmas.

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes. Its evil. I use the Jewish calander today is Shmini Atzeret or Tishrei 22

#32 Thinkingstuff, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
  13. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

OK, just a trouble maker :laugh: j/k

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There you go!! At least you're consistent. ;)

15. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Good work, Thinkingstuff. Didn't catch as nearly as many fish that you did with your previous thread about Christmas a while back, but entertaining nonetheless. :applause:

16. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

Our church no longer has a harvest festival. We encourage members to have their own mini harvest festivals at their own homes to meet and greet their neighbors and show Christ to their communities in this manner. I think it's GREAT!

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't agree with Halloween, but here is a different perspective on it:

http://www.christianity.com/Home/Christian Living Features/11583549/

18. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize I'm jumping in here kind of late, but here's another perspective, too. Some churches in my area are doing a "reverse trick or treat." They are going door to door handing out candy and tracts and witnessing. I thought that was a great idea. Halloween is the one night a year they won't refuse to answer the door or pretend they aren't home when you come over.

19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I hope the JW's and Mormons don't catch on to that. I would hate to be rude on holloween.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only do we have a Pagan Calendar but all the days of the week are named after false gods.

Sunday - Day of the sun
    Monday - Day of the moon
    Tuesday - Zeus Day.
    Wednesay - Woden's Day.
    Thursday - Thor's Day.
    Friday - Frida's Day.
    Saturday - Saturn's Day.

Exodus 23:13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.

So technically speaking if you use these names then you are honoring a false god.

The Bible way is to number the days of the week i.e. first day, second day, last day, etc...

HankD