1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Are Our Soldiers On Food Stamps?

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by tyndale1946, Mar 13, 2020.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you haven't seen this, it is on the April issue of Reader's Digest... How can we have billion-dollar warship when our sailors are struggling to eat?... Said a military spouse Disiree Mieir from San Diego who has four children and struggles each month to make ends meet as her husband serves in the Navy... An organization in 2019 called Feeding San Diego, provided 2.3 million meals for military families... I know San Diego I was raised there, and great place to be assigned to, but it is expensive... Its not just San Diego either, this is happening all around the country... Support Our Troops is a great slogan but the power that be in the Nation they serve should support their families, so the families don't go to bed or school hungry... Your thoughts... Brother Glen:)

Btw... Pick up a copy and read the article

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont know. My Uncle retired from the Army last year filthy rich. He raised 4 kids and his wife never worked. He was not an officer either.

• Like Like x 3
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a positive at DOD run schools on military bases 6,500 children were eligible for reduced or free lunches... At Georgia's Fort Stewart more than 65% were eligible, Mazon, a group that combats hunger said, there are food pantries on or near every military base in the country... There is nothing wrong with going to a food pantry when you need emergency help said Mazon's vice president of public policy Josh Protas but there is no reason those who are serving in armed forces should have to do it on a routine basis... Brother Glen:)

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My kids go to school in Georgia and almost 75% of the kids in their school qualify for free lunch. I am not sure how accurate a measure of poverty that number is. Our county does not appear to be poor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    An E2 with 2 years will make about $2,000 basepay.

If married they will make about $1700 BAH (depending on zip code) or have housing provided. Add to that $370 for BAS.

That servicemember makes about $4,000 a month, but $2,000 taxable income.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    BHA counts as income for food stamps and free and reduced lunches, though not for taxes. (On-post housing owned by the government doesn't count.)

You can look at this as simply cost shifting by the Pentagon. It could raise pay so that military personnel don't qualify for food stamps (and it has a program that provides supplemental pay to do just that), but it would have to come up with the money for that somewhere else in the budget.

A family of four can have income of almost $48,000 a year and qualify for reduced-price lunches; free lunches are available for up to a little more than $33,000 a year.

Almost all of those who qualify for assistance are new enlistees with families. While the starting pay is not attractive (roughly $11.20 an hour, based on a standard work week, which it's not), it's certainly competitive with entry-level civilian jobs if you add in BAH, BAS and cheap medical insurance.

#6 rsr, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem arises from a variety of actors.
    Pay for the junior enlisted ranks was set in the days when thesae servicemen were sunlge and witout any dependents.
    Pay rates are set servicewide. Which may be good for areas with a lower cost of living. But are a backbreaker if the service meber is stationbed in a high cost area. San Diego is a high cost area.​

8. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Almost everyone qualifies for food stamps nowadays. People are blowing this out of proportion.

95% of my local school qualifies for food stamps.

One has to make an absurd amount of money not to qualify for food stamps, especially in some states/cities.

Look on the bright side. If they were a convenience store clerk, nobody would care about them.

Food stamps are becoming less common under trump, but if you’re a soldier with 4 children, a spouse, a high income area, and a single income, yep, you’re going to be on food stamps - if you want them.

A family of six needs to make over $70,000 a year to disqualify for food stamps.

This would also include, teachers, engineers, computer programmers, accountants, etc. Globalism has really slaughtered wages.

Sorry, but your tear-jerk story doesn’t work on me.

#8 MartyF, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BUT- Housing allowance is based on Zip Code.
    For example: An E-4 with Dependents
    Bismark, ND - .......... $1,137
    Washington, DC....... $2,328

wow- even the GI in ND gets more just for housing than I get for SS!

Here is the bottom line - if you cant afford kids- than dont have any!

• Like Like x 1