1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why Are SDAs Allowed To Post?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by saturneptune, Dec 11, 2013.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You can't choose to change pilots in mid-flight, that is change the topic.
    A Catholic, believing what the RCC teaches, no more goes to heaven, then a Muslim believing what the Koran teaches. They both are religions of works. Works do not save. Salvation is by grace through faith in Christ. There must be faith. One is justified by faith in Christ. (Romans 5:1).

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Lot and his daughters!

Scripture gives no indication of the spiritual condition of those who perished in the Flood!

I agree that the wrath of God does not come on His children but the chastening of God does. It is a fact though that the Children of God are not spared the tragedy of natural disasters or other tragedies of living in a fallen world.

God will bring all His elect to salvation!

I could not agree more!

He Will!

3. OldRegular

I did not change pilots or the topic. I said nothing about Muslims, Buddhists, or any other religion in my initial post.

You brought up the subject of Muslims and I responded.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The change of topic was your quoting of Mohler in answer to my post.
    He said:
    But that is not the topic. The topic here has nothing to do with the salvation of children. That is a different scenario.
    Your original statement had to do with salvation in the RCC and possibly other cults. You found it hard to believe that God would not have some of his elect among them. I disagree, just as I disagree that there would be any of his elect among the Muslims. I use Islam as an example.

5. OldRegular

Some years ago I read a most interesting treatise by a British thermodynamicist and Christian, Roy E. Peacock, entitled A Brief History of Eternity. In that little book he told the following:

Sounds almost like a Baptist doesn't he?

Pascal was a Roman Catholic and in his later years became associated with a movement in The Roman Catholic Communion that emphasized the Doctrines of Grace rather then "freewill".

6. OldRegular

You are entitled to believe that all Roman Catholics, and all other than Baptists, are bound for hell if you so choose. However, I do not believe that God has abdicated His role as: Judge of all the earth. just yet!

And I like Mohler. He makes more sense than most!

#46 OldRegular, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes,Jansenism. It was an Augustian order that was against the teachings of the Jesuits. Jansenism was called the despisied name of Calvinism by the Roman Catholic authorities. Port-Royal,France was its domain. I have referenced them before. Their Calvinistic teachings were certainly not mainstream Roman Catholicism.

8. OldRegular

I had read of Pascal's deep faith years ago when first I read A Brief History of Eternity but did not read of the Jansenism movement until I looked at some biographical info this weekend. I could surmise that his remarkable expression of faith is the consequence of understanding that Salvation is all of God; but I could be wrong. Pascal was a remarkable man and remarkably brilliant!

The book I mentioned by Peacock points out the deep Christian faith of many of those who advanced mathematics and science in the 17th-19th centuries.

9. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Gen 6:5-8
    5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. 7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
    (KJV)
    Scripture has this to say about the spiritual condition of pre-flood man.

10. OldRegular

But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. Why did Noah find grace, unmerited favor, in the sight of God?

The passage you quoted does not indicate that ever living person, other than Noah and his family, was spiritually dead and condemned to hell. It is simply a general statement about the state of the population. God could say the same thing about the world today.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

So you insinuate there are exceptions??

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I find it unbelievable and humanly impossible that, among billions and billions of rejects and reprobate God has chosen me to salvation in Jesus Christ.

That's what's astonishing about Election and God's grace. EVERYTHING ELSE is simple spiritual mathematics and cause and consequence logic.

13. OldRegular

Exceptions to what?

14. OldRegular

Matthew 10:25, 26
    25. When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
    26. But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

15. OldRegular

I frequently wonder the same thing and I have no answer!