1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why are Sunday Evening Services Falling By the Wayside?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

America DESERVES the Osteens. We're a shallow, unbiblical, materialistic culture. The rise of the Osteens, therefore, should surprise no one. False teachers have always been. If Osteen actually read the Bible during a saermon, his jerrycurled head would explode....which I would find refreshing.

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all need to find some sackcloth and ashes. Repent and do the first works.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

3. Tennessee Gal

Tennessee Gal Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I attend a church that runs 80 to around 120 on Sunday mornings with less than 20 on Sunday evenings and Wednesday evenings.

With both parents working full time and all the school activities and family responsibilities including Saturday as a catchup day, I believe not having a Sunday evening service is ok. Make Sunday morning worship important to your family and let Sunday evening be quality family time. I assume that Christian families will be having devotions with their children at home and teaching spiritual values on a regular basis.

I am older now and attend a before Sunday school prayer time , then attend S.S., and worship. I am usually gone 4 1/2 hours on Sunday morning. I'm usually wore out by the time I get home, so I watch Christian programs on Sunday evening.

We can be so busy attending church services and other good Christian activities the family gets neglected.

Just for the record I have spent most of my life attending Sunday AM, PM, And Wednesday prayer meeting. LOL!

#43 Tennessee Gal, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
  4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mrs. Rolf and I have seen this happen to more than a few families.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Attending church services are not the cause of family neglect. That is absurd. There are a great many things that cause family neglect. Church is not one of them.

6. Tennessee Gal

Tennessee Gal Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev Mitchell, in the church circles I grew up in there was something going on at church nearly 4 to 5 times a week and you were judged if you were not there every time the doors were open. In our circles, church did hinder family life.

I'm not against Sunday evening services as I was a pastor's wife for 36 years and attended services 3 times a week. My husband would not normally schedule something on both Friday and Saturday night so people would have some quality time with their families.

7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

May God have compassion on your long-suffering soul!!! :applause:

I Hope my wife makes it that long! :smilewinkgrin:

SERIOUSLY, EVERYONE WHO IS READING THIS NEEDS TO MAKE IT A POINT THIS SUNDAY TO THANK AND ENCOURAGE THEIR PASTOR'S WIFE!

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tennessee Gal, been there and done that. Not as a child, but my wife and I used to attend a church (SBC) that if given an opportunity would have you actively engaged in doing something every single night of the week!

I finally began to rebel against the pressure and asked who was going to come over and cut my grass for me? Stand watch if we went on a week of vacation? We soon left.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like a cult.

10. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A cult, EW&F? Could have been. It was a Baptist Church affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention.

This church had so many committees that some folks were assigned to two or three of 'em at the same time. On the Finance Committee; the Budget Committee; the Sunday School Committee..., there was even a Committee for the purchase of Alter flowers for every Sunday. Grounds Committee. A Sunday School Committee. A Committee to monitor ill members. If the church van needed new tires there was a Committee assigned to oversee the purchase of new ones.

It was amazing..., and this wasn't a large church. Hence, business meetings ended up a war zone as everyone had a different agenda. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either that or they were all nuts.