1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are ther no young fundamentalists ?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Shiloh, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

"IF" the majority of the folks on this message board agree that there are only a few ( of course we don't even agree on this board on what a fundamental Baptist is) or none any more....why?

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

If by "fundamentalist" you mean one who upholds the "fundamentals" of the Christian faith then there are still many! If by fundamentalist you mean one who values legalism and judgmentalism then hopefully there are not many!

3. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Amen!

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Fundamentalism has become a term of honor without any teeth. many people want to be known as fundamental, but VERY few practice what they want to be known as. Also most will adopt the wording of a particular definition of what a fundamentalist is, but they will have differing understanding what the terms mean making fundamentalism little more then a movement of one.What most mean when they claim to be fundamental is that they are fundamental to what they believe, not what scripture teaches.

5. er1001

er1001 New Member

Its been said that a democracy gives you the freedom to burn your own flag,I'm afraid that in fundamentalisn the flag has been burned by many !!i think its a shame

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sometimes people can see a number of older people in churches and wonder why there are not more younger people there. Consider that ages of the people there as to when it was that they gave their lives to Christ. I know of one chape who came to the Lord in a Salvation Army meeting at over the age of 85. He asked the officer that prayed with him if he thought that God could do any thing with "the fag end of his life". To which the officer replied "Absolutley".

Many people do come to the Lord later on in life.

7. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

I'm a fundamentalist in the historic definition of the word - "one who hold to the fundamentals of the faith."

I do not identify with the modern use of fundamentalism which has become synonymous with legalism (re-interpreting Scripture with rules that are not there).

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

But remember, there are a great number of fundamentalists who would remind that that is not fundamentalism at all.

Historic fundamentalists have two main characteristics:
    1. They hold and defend the core doctrines of of the Christian faith.
    2. They confront, separate, and expose those who do not hold to the core doctrines or those who are disobedient to the faith.

Both are necessary to be a fundamentalist. Things such as Bible versions, dress codes, etc. are not core doctrines. They are not "fundamental."