1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are you a Baptist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Old Union Brother, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I realize that the "flavor" of Baptist where I belong is in the minority here on the BB. My question is why did you chose to be a Baptist and in particular why did you chose the particular type of Baptist you are? I'll give you my answer a little later.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Credo Baptism is biblical. The Presbyterians tried to convince me otherwise. Im at a Reformed Baptist Church right now because they are the only DoG Church in my area but I prefer the Old Schoolers & would be there if I could... I also love that they are down to earth folks. I believe my people were PB's in the old country also.:wavey:

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

The teaching and preaching is solid. The scriptures are of primary importance. We are not "Sacramental" in the vien of Catholisism and the Orthodox
    Usually the excessive emotionalism that you find in some other groups is kept to a minimum. The autonomy of the local church. Co-operating with other baptist churches. And we(my particular church) rejects Calvinism.

And I PARTICULARLY like the fact that my particular local church also co-operates with churchs of other denominations, as long as they are not cultic or anything like that.

#3 Alive in Christ, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
  4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Up until I was seven years old, I had spent little time in church. My mother was Baptist, but inactive, and my father was not saved.

We moved into a neighborhood with a Southern Baptist church two blocks away, and my mother sent me there. It was easy because a lot of my schoolmates were there.

Two years later, the Lord saved me. On the day I was baptized, my mother renewed her commitment to the Lord, joined the church and became active.

The Lord saved my father a year or so later. He bought the whole package, so to speak. Wound up as my Sunday School teacher, later was elected deacon.

So, I was a Baptist because my mother was a Baptist. A few years later, after much study of Baptist doctrine and practice, I became a Baptist by conviction. I compared us to other faith groups, and concluded that the Baptist claim to be the closest to apostolic doctrine and practice was a valid claim.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry to hear you reject the historic faith...but on the other hand it is good you keep yourselves confined in one place...like quarantined:thumbs:

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The reason why I am what I am baptist(ORB), is that this is where I felt led to be. I love the doctrine which we proclaim, and that it's about as close to the bible as I can find(mind you, I said "I" can find). I love the old time lined-out hymns, and when they are sung/lined in the Spirit, there is no other sound like it!!

I love how we let every man prove his talent. I mean that when someone comes and tells the church they feel they have been called to the ministry, we let them "prove" their gift.

I love that when we see someone lost crying during the service, we leave them in the hands of God, and let Him work things out with that lost soul.

I love how we shake hands and hug throughout the service, and how our love flows from breast to breast.

I love to hear the Sisters, and Brothers, shout, when we are singing, or preaching.

But most of all I love the ORBs because this is where I feel that God has placed me(I stated this earlier, I know), but I wanted to make it known exactly why I am a baptist. I am a CHRISTian first and foremost, and an ORB secondly.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a Baptist because I believe that it is closest to what the Bible teaches in its general teachings and allows for freedom in the non-essentials.

I'm a Southern Baptist because I believe the Bible teaches a more organic cooperation among churches of like faith and practice than the Independants had when I was among them.

8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Historic faith would be that which Paul taught in the epistles not something that teaches against the Pauline epistles. You know Paul taught we are saved by Grace and Christ atonement was for all mankind unlike the Calvinistic teaching of T.U.L.I.P in limiting God.

#8 revmwc, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2011
  9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I was raised as a baptist, having received Christ in a baptist chuch of one brand and raised in another brand. I believe most of the Baptist doctrines follow scripture. Like once saved always saved, baptism by emmersion, that Christ work on the cross, His burial and Ressurection fully atoned for the sins of mankind and that by Grace we are saved through faith. So the Baptist faith is one that I feel closely follows scripture on the basic teachings.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I am a Baptist and attend the church I do because God led me there. Simple, yet true.

I didn't put myself there, God did.

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Sorry to hear you reject the historic faith...but on the other hand it is good you keep yourselves confined in one place...like quarantined[/B

What an ugly statement! It's Christians with arrogant attitudes like you have who need to be quarantined. I hope moderator will deal with you but most likely not. I'm glad I'm a Baptist where in most circles Calvinists and those who don't fully adhere to TULIP get along just fine. We agree to disagree without deliberately insulting each other and cooperate together in seeking to fulfill the Great Commission.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I believe (I hope) Icon's statement was "tongue in cheek".

HnkD

13. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MY Daddy was a So Baptist deacon. I grew up in a home that included Bible and church attendance and prayer in the home. I cannot remember when I didn't know about God's love....but didn't really realize my sin condition and my hopeless state until I was 13 years old, went forward and accepted Christ as my Savior, followed in obedience through baptism.

I am Independent Baptist now (as most of you know) because after much Bible study, in my opinion, it most closely follows the models of N.T. churches.

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Baptist because I believe the doctrinal teachings line up with Scriptures.

15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I believe (I hope) Icon's statement was "tongue in cheek"

I would hope so but based on past performance (ie. veiled questioning of non-Calvinists salvation) it takes more than a smiley face to make it "tongue in cheek."

16. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we return to the point of this thread?

I already said why I was a Baptist and the "southern" flavor... :tongue3:

But I am at this church I am now because, like Amy, God led me here to this church.

17. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Always liked the fact that Baptists seemed to stand up the the Bible, as being inerrant and infallible word of God, and for real Jesus and real Gospel!

that I am membering right now in a Baptist Church that believes that one can hold that one can hold to Gifts ceasing or continuining either way and still be in good standing is an additional bonus!

18. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I didn't so much choose Baptist as it chose me. Only a Baptist cared enough about my soul to ask me if I was saved and invite me to his church, although it was nearly a year later before I was saved.

19. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

That particular poster.. sadly..has a well earned reputation.

20. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

What quote were you addressing on this posting though?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.