1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are you a Calvinist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Feb 13, 2010.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Sticks and stones

You can say what you want about me I don't care.

I agree with my Calvinist brothers and I have come to embrace it myself. Why disagree with such a scriptural base belief system. I see more than what they see. God has also included with the elect those that heard the Gospel of their salvation having believed. I don't care about agreeing with me, just to agree with the scriptures.

Who can save me from this body of death praise be to Jesus. It is a shame when men can only see the elect and not see the one's God also included whosoever believes. Who am I to question God. I will not disagree with any scripture you give me, but also will not disagree with the scripture that God has also included those who have heard the Gospel of our salvation having believed.

Don't you just want to praise God for that!! God does want all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. Me or Paul isn't lying to you.

#21 psalms109:31, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2010
  2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I just want to share that this thread has been a blessing to me. I hope others will feel free to tell their own story of their journey into the doctrines of grace.

Thanks...James

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

As a young adult in the late 1960s and early 1970s, I do not recall hearing much doctrinal teaching or preaching. My pastor at the time, preached on doctrine occasionally, and this stirred an interest. I knew what Baptists believed, but I had little clue as to why we believed it.

I asked my pastor if he had some books I could read, and he game me a book on Bible doctrine written 35 years earlier. It started with the existence of God, explored his nature and attributes and took off from there.

When I got to the section on Election, this was new ground to me. I'd heard of predestination, but had never heard any teaching on it. The chapter blew me away. The author brought up the usual objections, then dealt with each of them.

In addition to having the ring of truth with scriptural justification, the doctrine was also consistent within itself.

I soon found out that in my church, I was in a definite minority, and remain so to this day, 40 years later. And I have yet to read anything by Calvin on the subject.

4. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I heard a few things here and there that implied sovereign grace within about a year of being saved and i replied very negatively based on my logic. I was very into Scripture but hadn't understood God's grace at that point. So with that said I fought with wrong assumptions until I somewhat naturally came to the beginning of questioning what God's sovereignty has to do with our coming to Christ.

It was all Scripture for me. to this day I have not read Calvin. I was not really searching Calvinism when I butted heads with God's sovereign grace.

I prayed when I thought about it more. I had not encountered Piper, Sproul, or anyone else at this point. Later in my understanding I would say I became a little trusty on these men, but the true blessing came when I wasn't really looking for it, but just enjoying and heeding to God's word.

I have questioned it many times, yet I just can't deny it even with certain tough arguments (minor aspects don't apply). I have searched to hard many times as well. I think when to much energy is spent then we are doing negative effects to our spiritual life with God.

I have not

I believe that it is what God's word says.

Nope

I would say amazement, joy, love, thankful, intrigued, and so on​

5. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I first enrolled in Seminary in the fall of 2000, I had never even heard of "Calvinism." Many of the guys in my dorm were Calvinists and I reacted harshly against it. I will say they were not so gracious about my disagreements.

I was "indoctrinated" into Arminianism by the church I grew up in, though I didn't know it. Even in my Arminianism, I had many doubts about the agency of man (a libertarian free will) while trying to maintain the sovereignty of God.

So, I fought...but I studied. It took about one-and-a-half years of struggle.

I read Chosen by God by R.C. Sproul. I knew he was a Calvinist and I knew I didn't agree with Calvinism, so I wanted to see what he had to say. I struggled through the book and began examining the passages of scripture he referenced in the book. That was the beginning of the end of my Arminianism.

I read Piper's Desiring God and that put me over the edge. I still remember the first time I referred to myself as a 5-Point Calvinist.

But, that doesn't mean that I agree with someone just because he or she is a Calvinist. For instance, I love R.C. Sproul, but I think he misses it big-time on baptism.
    Every second of every day with every breath I take.

No.

Because of "Limited Atonement." I know that seems weird. When I was having the struggle with Calvinism, I had taken a course in Theological Anthropology and had become interested in the Atonement. I began studying the Atonement (also in reaction to Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in the New Testament & Contemporary Contexts by Green and Baker that I had read for my New Testament class during my first semester in Seminary).

I came to the conclusion that Penal, Substitutionary Atonement was the only way to understand the atoning work of Christ. Sure the other theories had merit--but only if the over-arching umbrella of the Atonement was, in fact, Penal Substitution.

Once Penal Substitution is understood, Limited Atonement is a very short trip. After all, the cross is a once-in-an-eternity event and every sin that was to be forgiven had to be paid for on the cross. So, if every sin of every person (elect and non-elect) is paid for, there is nothing for non-believers to pay for in Hell. So, since there are sheep and goats and since Christ paid for sins, it must be the only sins paid for are the sins of the elect.

So, it's weird, but I am a Calvinist because of Limited Atonement, not in spite of it (as many 4-Pointers are).

Not at all. Simply because the Bible doesn't address election in every passage. If you are preaching Romans 8, you can't escape preaching election. If you are preaching the sin of Achan from Joshua you'd better not preach election because the text isn't addressing election.

Several are still struggling through the whole concept. Mostly, however, the response is stunned. This reaction is due mostly to indoctrination (on both sides). True education, in most church contexts--especially on the difference between Calvinism and Arminianism, never happens. But then again, true biblical, theological education doesn't happen in most churches either.
    I can relate to the feelings of struggle. For those who are clearly moving to embracing the Doctrines of Grace, I can really identify with them and I look forward to the day when their struggle bears good and true fruit.

Blessings,

The Archangel

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Arch: You are very articulate, I really appreciate your posts. Nice blog too.

7. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    J.D.,

Thanks. Many blessings to you.

The Archangel

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Archangel,

I can relate. The atonement was the hardest for me, and maybe the hardest for most. I forget what Calvinist called it the "Black sheep" of the doctrines. It is why so many hate Calvinism. Yet now that I hold to it, and this is because of the over all support of scripture, it is by far the doctrine that pulls salvations story all together into one. Once I embraced it, is when the doors of Scripture opened to full understanding. What a blessed doctrine it is.

Peace....James

9. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    James,

How true, my friend, how true. I hope all is well with you.

Blessings,

The Archangel

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't want to get in the middle of your party, but why was the truth so hard to accept as a Spirit filled believer? Wouldn't truth be welcomed with open arms instead of a struggle?

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

why not start a thread and ask?

12. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truth should be welcomed with open arms, yes. I find, however, that most of what passes for "education" in our churches today is not education, but indoctrination.

Unfortunately too many of the people in our churches are taught what to believe, not how to read the Bible, understand it, and apply it to our own lives.

Modern-day Christianity/Evangelicalism are way too used to being spoon-fed. In the words of the old proverb: If you tell a man what to believe he will feed on the God for a day. If you teach a man to read, understand, and apply the scriptures he will feast on Christ for a lifetime.

Most pastors don't care to educate their people. I had an English teacher in high school that taught us that the goal of any good teacher is to eliminate the need for the teacher. In other words, a good pastor/teacher will teach his students so well as to enable the students to teach themselves.

So, it's a struggle because we were never taught to get deep into the scriptures for ourselves.

Blessings,

The Archangel

13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Free Will. How's that coming from the dreaded Calvinist? As Christians, we all struggle to obey and/or believe the truth - the struggle with the old nature, etc.

14. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

So, what is the difference between the believer who accepts Calvinism and the one who doesn't? Is one just smarter than the other? More humble?

Is there something there for you as a Calvinist to boast about?

15. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good question. I suppose if I was really smarter I would be really more humble.

I once hit 32 straight free throws! (Sorry to make jokes but what did you expect?)

16. Skandelon

Impressive. I bet that is why God chose you. :laugh:

17. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

YOU BROKE THE CODE!! That's it! God is looking for HUMOR!

Wait a minute....I think I may actually be in trouble....they call me "Mr. Humorless" at church....uh oh.

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I credit any good that I do, whether it is a correct belief or godly behavior, all to God and His working in my life.

I credit any evil that I do, whether incorrect belief or ungodly behavior, solely to my account and my own sinful choices.

19. Skandelon

Hey, that is the same answer I give when a Calvinist asks me why I chose to accept Christ when others don't. :thumbs:

20. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think most Christians, when pressed, answer the same way. But I also think that answer is most consistent with the Doctrines of Grace.