1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why be Ordained?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JamieinNH, Jul 15, 2006.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

In another thread, someone posted this quote:

So I have a question.. Why be ordained by a church or a denomination? Why not just go to school, get the knowledge and then start preaching?

In fact, why couldn't someone that is knowledgeable start preaching even before they were out of school?

Why do we need, or go through "man's approval" or the "church's approval"?

Now, I am just starting school and long to preach and want to have my own church one day God willing, but given that quote above in another thread, it got me thinking and asking ... why?

Thanks!

Jamie

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

At ordination, the local body of believers confirms that you have the doctrine, character, and abilities to pastor a church. The local body of believers is the pillar and support of the truth, and the ordination process is part of that.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Ordination should have nothing to do with preaching. A preacher is called or "sent" by GOD.

Who said you needed school to preach? Was it your pastor? If you truly want to preach there are plenty of street corners avalible. You don't need a pulpit.

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

The nursing homes are seriously lacking preachers. Step up!

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

IMO, many Baptists have made ordination the "third ordinance."

We make it a much bigger deal than what I see Scripture making it.

Don't get me wrong...scripture makes a VERY big deal out of mentoring, discipleship, and accountability.

I just don't think it makes as big a deal out of the "ceremony" or act.

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

First of all, you can just get up and preach, but without the doctrinal teaching and examination by the church, you should not. The church is the guardian of the truth, and part of that guard is to approve those who are able to handle the world. God does call to preach, but he sends his stamp of approval through the body of Christ in a locality. You can't just ignore that. You don't have to go to school, but you do have to know right doctrine, and you do have to have a life of character.

Second, ordination is not an ordinance, and the ceremony isn't that important. What is important is the training and approval process, where a man's life and doctrine are examined.

1 Tim teaches us this is to be done, and not quickly. We can't just pretend like it doesn't matter.

To say "just go and preach" is to undermine the NT teaching on the local church. Preaching and ministry is to be done of, from, through, and to the local church. You shouldn't just go hang out a shingle.

#6 Pastor Larry, Jul 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2006
  7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Whatsoever you bind on earth shall be bound in Heaven. Calling and Ordaination is of God but the church carrying out the presbytery is like a preacher preaching. The preaching is from God but the preacher is the instrument. So is the ordaination of a preacher. It is of God but the presbytery is the instrument of the ordaination. When you ordain someone you ask God in prayer to receive the work don't you?
    Don't get me wrong for God don't need us to carry out anything but He chooses to.

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

In Light of Revelation 3 and the letter to the Laodicean church (which if you believe those letters describe church history) it doesn't seem that "the church" is guarding anything, but its lukewarmness :(

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Wonder why Apostle Paul commanded it?

Tts 1:5For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:

10. standingfirminChrist

Galatians 1:11-12 11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Galatians 1:15-24 15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, 16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: 17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. 18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalemunknown by face unto the churches of Judaea to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. 19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother. 20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not. 21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia; 22 And was which were in Christ: 23 But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed. 24 And they glorified God in me.

One does not necessarily need a 'college knowledge' to be ordained and called of God to preach His Word. One needs to 'Study' (2 Timothy 2); to be above reproach (1 Timothy 3) able to handle the Word of God (2 Corinthians 4); among other attributes such as compassion and self sacrifice of time.

One must be willing to be sent (Isaiah 6) such as Paul was in the passage quoted earlier.

A 'college knowledge' is good. But many colleges teach what they believe and that only. This does not leave room for what God wants to teach man.

Psalm 25:4-5 4 Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. 5 Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

#10 standingfirminChrist, Jul 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree SFiC;
    College is good and I have some but by taking some Bible classes I know that it depends on which college you attend that determines the belief you will have when you come out. They all give a different message. He that lacketh wisdom let him ask of God.

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Thanks for the replies! I asked the question, not because I didn't think it was needed, or a "waste of time", I asked because it just occured to me when I saw the other post.

It is refreshing to hear good sound reasons for the need to be ordained.

As I stated, I am just starting school at Liverty University, and I look forward to my studies to help me better understand things I am clueless about now.

I look forward to gaining knowledge, wisdom and strength in my studies, and I look forward to the day I am ordained.

Soulman: What part of NH are you from? I am in Manchester, NH. Does your church have a group that goes to Nursing Homes that I could join? My church does not have that sort of program yet, but I will mention it to my pastor and maybe we can get one started. If your church has one, I would like to join you and maybe get an idea of how it's done, and what it will take to get one started at our church. PM me sometime and let's talk about it.

Thanks!

Jamie

13. standingfirminChrist

Jamie,

If you are serious about getting into a rest home ministry, my advice would be to visit local rest homes with your pastor... or with deacon's of your congregation.

Go to the office of the rest home and speak with an administrator. Tell them which church you are a member of and that you would like to bring the Word of God to the elderly who may not be able to get out. They usually have a recreation room that they allow services to be held in.

Ask about other churches that may be holding services and if there is a special time when you can come out and minister. Usually no more than once or twice a month is allowed for services from any one church, as others want to come in as well.

After they approve your coming in, you could maybe just go around to the lunch room, individual rooms and other areas and introduce yourself to the residents and staff. Let them know you will be holding services and would love for them to attend.

If any express desire to attend the services, if they are in wheelchairs, offer to go by their room and push them to the meeting room; or in walkers, walk alongside them.

Carry smiles.

Services should not be too long, a couple songs from a good hymnal are always cherished by the residents. Let them participate once in a while. It makes them feel special and wanted when they are allowed to sing or even pick a song for the group to sing.

After the service, if the Lord leads, an invitation to the open arms of a loving Savior is often appreciated.

Promises to return the following month are received with smiles as well.

In Christ,
    Ron

14. jesnipes

jesnipes New Member

Ordination is about accountability.
    1. It is the one who has been called and gifted submitting himself to a local congregation to examine his qualifications. Does his life, his doctrine, and his gifts meet the standards of Scripture?
    2. It is the local congregation being responsible to other congregations by examining this person, and if he be found worthy, giving their approval to him that other churchs that may be considering his as a minister in their church may know that he has been examined and not found wanting.
    While ordination is not necessary for one to preach, in fact one must preach before ordination to develop their gift, ordination is an act of accountability for both the person and the church.

15. standingfirminChrist

jesnipes,

Good point. The bishop, as explained in Paul's letter to Timothy, must not be a novice in the Word of God.

16. preacher

preacher New Member

Also, in most states I believe, as a minister, to legally marry a couple you must be ordained for it to be a legal binding ceremony.
    On preaching in NH's it's a true blessing, & I have , after getting to know preachers that lived in NH's even asked them if they would lead a service. I've seen some old timers get some fire back in their eyes for awhile that way!!!
    Most homes even have a piano that can be used, ask the folks that come if any could play for the singing before using someone from the church. These people will usually jump at a chance to do something useful.
    As for me, been preaching for almost10 yrs, I have been "licensed" by my local church, but never ordained. Here in NC to be a reconized Evangilist you have to be ordained. Never undrestood that part.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Some churches are certainly disobedient in this way. That doesn't change God's plan.

18. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 13:1-4

I have always found it interesting that Paul, who had been commissioned by Jesus Christ, Himself, submitted himself to the athority of the local church in being sent out on his 1st missionary journey. The emphasis on Holy Spirit guiding the decisions of the church is quite evident.

peace to you:praise:

19. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I'm not a preacher. Never been called to preach either, but, as "Preacher" mentioned in his post, some states require a person to be ordained in order to perform valid marriage ceremonies in that state.

I've also been told that some states also require the same for conducting funerals as well.

Also, as several posts have pointed out, there is the accountability factor.

Paul's instructions to Timothy in I Timothy 5:22 seems to point out to the seriousness of ordination. It's not something to take lightly, nor to summarily dismiss as being irrelevant to someone who's called to preach.

If God's hand is in your ministry, most likely He will let other men whom He has called know about it and have them take note of that fact as well.

20. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Thanks Ron for the tips on the "How to's" on getting started. I will talk to my pastor this Wednesday night and see what, if anything he has planned and see if it's something we can do.

Jamie