1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Believe One can Lose Salvation??

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Tazman, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Eric,

There are differences, some very specific ones I'll note below:

1. The ultimate sacrifice that reconcile us to God and is also the source of continual forgiveness for those who continue to serve God.
    No more animals to sacrifice.

2. The perfect and ONLY mediator between us and GOD. He set the standard of a blameless life before God and also called us to the same standard.

3.This is the Final covenant put into effect by Jesus' death; an everlasting covenant. No more no less. No revisions or addendum all terms has been nailed to the Cross.

4. Receive as a Mark of Gods approval, the Holy Spirit. The counselor, who intercedes for us and who guides us. He reminds us of Gods will and opens our minds and hearts to Gods will.

5. The power to overcome the world by the same spirit He did.

6. We all can be the People of God by converting to Jesus, not just the Jews.

Now, in relation to the "Old Covenant" the "New Covenant" requires faith. Not just once but continually.
    Faith is defined by the examples of those earlier Patriarchs, Abraham, Elisha, Moses, Gideon and others mentioned in Hebrew 11.
    There faith never lacked action and committed and deny of self.
    Faith was NEVER just an intellectual understanding and acceptance. It starts there, but does not end there.
    Faith involves metanoia, being taught the truth, believing that truth, commitment to living that truth.
    These are all terms set and required of Jesus. Simple really.

God has always accepted the faith of others in the old testament as well as the new. He overlooked man mistakes in the old testament and the new.
    He afforded man opportunity and help to changes in the old covenant and the new.

God NEVER CHANGED!

He CAN'T be Mocked! You still reap what you sow. You can't scoop hot coal in your lap and not get burned. If a righteous man cease to be right and does evil he will die.

Fact: The bible as we have it was not available to early believers and so the Old Testament was used to Teach the New converts about Jesus. I believe it was the Greek version used, but none the less, when it came to baptism, faith, repentance, truth, confession - it was all taught and supported using the Old testament text.

2. Tazman

Tazman New Member

The church started losing sight of it during the apostles time and it's no difference today:

1 Corinthians chapter one:

4I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. 5For in him you have been enriched in every way—in all your speaking and in all your knowledge— 6because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. 7Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. 8 He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.

Paul writing to christians who are "enriched in speaking and knowledge" and who "do not lack any spiritual gift" while waiting on the Lord

10I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas[a]"; still another, "I follow Christ."

"Divisions" always threaten the church. Jesus prayed for complete unity (John 17). Why is this so important? Simple, Jesus' authority always came into question by the "Spiritual" Leaders of whom Jesus imparted knowledge. People started following THEM and stop seeking God on their own.

13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? 14I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. 16(Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

The church went wrong when it started follow the leaders over Jesus.

I love it when I hear the baptism is "An outward sign of an inward faith" in order to lesson its value.

You will never find this concept in scripture, but it's taught in often without question.

Some one once asked me, "Well, why baptize? What about the person allergic to water or the person in the middle of no where? What if they believe and no water is around?"

I realized that people simply "Draw Lines" to determine what's important. They don't rely on clear teachings, because it can be proven inadequate when out of Reach of God. :eek:

Whoa, wait lets rethink this If God established it, he will make it available to those who seek him like that Eunuch in the desert (Acts 8)

Well now that we've proven how unless this is because we can't see God's working it out in the extreme circumstances lets look at other things.

I know I'm sinful, so I will always blow it. Well, surely God does not EXPECT consistency from me so He just want me to believe and do what I feel I should. His warnings of falling away can't imply to me, because I'm saved. God knows I'm gonna blow it so I will follow him as I chose with disregard to his commands. All I need it faith - Just believing. Yeah that's it! Just beleive that no matter if I continue to Love God and make Jesus Lord or not God will save me. This is a gift (No requirement of me), well let have one requirement - Faith. But we can't define it to include a commitment, because this is work :eek:

Well sense my Paster say this, it must be right!

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually it is...

Act 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
    Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

If thou believe with all thine heart, thou mayest get baptized by water. Faith-then baptism.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

This is an important statement. If water baptism was part of salvation it would have definitely been written in this very verse rather than faith alone . Secondly, getting bapitized in water is something done " of yourself " disqualifying it as having any part in salvation.

God Bless!

4. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

[incomplete duplicate post from flood protection]

5. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, and like I said, that's about the only difference, with your system.
    But none of us live up to that still, so if any are to be saved, He must not be making that the prerequisite for Heaven. It's your side that brings God's standard down, because since nobody does live completly up to that, it must be doing the best we can that gets us into Heaven.

Still, the resurrection came after the Death, and then the outpouring of the Spirit afterwards. So it is possible that the removal of the Temple was also such a stage in God's plan. Remember, Christ promised them something "in their generation", "soon", etc. and yet we still expect these things thousands of years later. So it's not an "addendum",any more than any hope for a future Kingdom or Heaven, or whatever.

What good is that if we still can fall away? We have the power of the Spirit, but we ar ebasically still in the same boat as the OT believers, who did not have the power of the Spirit, and had to work for God's approval.

So a rehashed Old Covenant is just expanded, then. Actually, Gentiles could join Israel back then, so even that is still no difference.

Once again, just do your best, and God overlooks the rest. I guess He weighs the good and the bad, just like Catholics, Jews, Muslims, and the average secular nominal believes. But that's not what I see in other scriptures in the OT. Like I said, it's actually that philosophy that brings God's standard down. We can't reach it, so he brings it down to meet us, but we still have to do the work to meet Him half way. We must do something so that we're not getting in for "free", right?
    Yes, He never changes, so as the Jews say, God would never "change His mind" and end one covenant and start another. They must be right, and Jesus is false, then. He certainly is not really needed in this system, except as a substitute of convenience so we don't have to get our hands bloody anymore.
    And maybe the fact that the NT was not written yet supports the idea of a transition period. There are many things in the NT that you (Campbellites, I assume) do not believe are to be kept anymore, like tongues, prophecy, etc. You try to make the receipt of the canon the "perfection" that marks their end, but perhaps it was the destruction of the Temple instead. That was a more significant prophetic event, which occurred in their lifetime. Perhaps when all those signs ended, then salvation was secured at the same time. Remember, "to whom much is given, much is expected". Those who had their faith verifief by supernatural signs would have more expected from them (like perseverance to the end, etc).

We obey God because we love Him (1 John 2:3), and while this is held here as a sign of us loving Him, still, that is not the same as salvation resting on it. We can slip in keeping the commandments and still love Him, because v. 1 says that while we should not sin, "If any man sin, we have an advocate from the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. He is the propitiation for our sins...". We could not slip if salvation rested on keeping the commandments, because God demanded perfection. If that were the case, then Jesus would not have been the propitiation, but it would all still rest on us.

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good stuff Eric B! You answer very well to the false "other gospel".

God Bless!

7. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Only Christ can take away sins. Lambs, bulls, etc could not. The Old Covenant with it's sacrifices and ceremonial laws was just a tutor (as Paul said in Galatians) until Christ came and established the New Covenant. HOWEVER, the conditions of continued repentance and obedience are applicable to either covenant. Christ's sacrifice alone is able to take away sin, but one is not automatically forgiven for every sin that one will ever commit in the future when he first receives Christ in faith and repentance. One must CONTINUE having faith and abiding in Christ. When one sins, he must CONTINUE to confess and repent in order to have forgiveness even AFTER he initially receives Christ. This is all a CONTINUAL process, it's not just a one time, once for all "prayer to accept Christ". If one doesn't REMAIN in faith--if he doesn't ABIDE in Christ--he will be cut off. (John 15:6; Romans 11:19-22)

Eternal life is IN CHRIST. If one punts Christ, then one punts eternal life.

8. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Actually it is...

Act 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
    Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

If thou believe with all thine heart, thou mayest get baptized by water. Faith-then baptism.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

This is an important statement. If water baptism was part of salvation it would have definitely been written in this very verse rather than faith alone . Secondly, getting bapitized in water is something done " of yourself " disqualifying it as having any part in salvation.

God Bless!
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hear are a few versus for you to rewrite:

Baptism saves you (unlike some I will not say "Alone")but It is clearly a working component. Not all things done physically is "works" as addressed in the bible. This is why you can't accept Jesus' teaching on baptism and obidience. If you were at least fair with yourself you would acknowledge "Thinking" as work also. Body doesn't function without it. :rolleyes:

1. 1 Peter 3:18-22

18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom[d] also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge[e] of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

2. A Similar suggestion by Paul:

1 Corinthians 10:1-6
    1For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. 2They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. 3They all ate the same spiritual food 4and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. 5Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them; their bodies were scattered over the desert.

3. Romans 6:1-4

1What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

4. Pauls conversion: Acts 22:16

"And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name."

Finally, not that I don't know what your "educated" response will be to each of the above, I just want to see how far you will go to make your "Alone" doctrine work.

When You are done changing the bible to fit your theology, consider:

Faith and baptism works together. The bible NEVER in a negative way as you do make baptism sound so usless to the salvation of the faithful.

Colossians 2:11-12

11In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature,[a] not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, 12having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God , who raised him from the dead.

What's wrong with water anyway its in FULL agreement with Christ. Water was also used in sacrifices in the Old Covenant.

But to continue:

Matthew 28:18-20

9. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Eric,

I'm out of time, but I will respond to you. Take care.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Does this mean "faith = abide" or "faith + abide"?

God Bless!

11. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

But it is not a prayer that saves, it is the "one time sacrifice of Christ" that saves. That is the mistake people on both sides make. It is basically on us, and the argument becomes whether we save ourselves by a single work, or continuous works. Although I am still weighing the notion of AD70 securing salvation, it would follow that a person really cannot "punt" Christ. That would be to undo His sacrifice, and that is accomplished already. It was already accomplished back then as well, but apprently, as long as the institution of the Law still stood, "the ministration of death" posed a greater threat to salvation.

12. Doubting Thomas

One cannot undo the sacrifice of Christ, but salvation is IN HIM. Salvation is in a PERSON because of WHO that PERSON IS and WHAT that PERSON did. If one leaves Christ, that one leaves salvation. If one is no longer abiding in Christ, the blood of the Cross is no longer "applied" to that one's heart. In other words, the sacrifice of Christ is only personally effective if one is actually IN CHRIST.

Life is in the Son. He who has (present tense) the Son has (present tense) Life; He who doesn't have the Son doesn't have Life.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This makes salvation dependant upon man. All men, including us, are apart of "...no man can pluck them from My Father's Hand...".

14. Doubting Thomas

Though no other one can remove the Christian, the Christian can remove himself by not continuing in faith and not abiding in the Vine.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then the Christian is the exception of "no man"? I don't think so. When Christ says NO MAN he means no man, including Chrisitians! There is not one man in history who can pluck someone else or himself from the Father's Hand.

16. Doubting Thomas

Then you are totally misconstruing what Christ is talking about here. He is not referring to the one who believes for a while and then falls away (Luke 8:13). Nor is He talking about those who do not abide in Him--you know, the ones which don't bear fruit (since they aren't abiding) and are cast out as branches to be burned (John 15:6). He is referring to those who are external to the believing (present tense) Christian. The Father is not going to keep one against his own will...just ask the prodigal son. :cool:

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Besides those verses you quoted out of context not applying to someone who is saved and lost, the prodical son STILL was his son...even if he did die in the hog pen instead of returning home.

"No man" can remove themselves from God's grip...you, I and everyone included!

18. Doubting Thomas

Not at all. In the case of the first, Christ clearly states he believed for a while (ie saved) then fell away. The John 15:6 passage said those who don't abide are cast out as branches and burned. In other words, they were saved at one point or else they couldn't be said to have been branches in the first place.
    But had he not returned to the father he would have remained dead and lost.

No, He's referring to those who are external to the Christian not the Christian himself. He's not going to hold the persistently rebellious one in His grip against his will.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is not dealing with losing justification, but sanctification. The greek for "falling away" does not mean to lose your salvation.
    Joh 15:6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.
    This is not speaking of those "in Christ", but those who DO NOT abide in Christ. It is also not saying these people ARE branches, they are discarded as branches. Big difference.
    :confused: The text does not say he was dead or lost...he knew exactly where he was, in the hog pit. If he were dead, how could he do anything anyway? This makes no sense.
    I applaud your effort in trying to twist "no man" to exclude Christians. He is saying what He is saying, regardless if someone is "persistently rebellious" or not. If Jesus gives the promise that no man can remove those in Christ from His Father's Hand, this includes everybody!

20. Cara

Cara New Member

My first post here, so please be patient with me my questions may have been answered many times.

I've always thought that the term "losing salvation" was misused/misunderstood (sometimes even by those who use it regularly, and almost always by those who don't subscribe to OSAS). God clearly tells us that nothing can snatch us from His hand. In that sense, then, we cannot "lose" our saving faith. Rather than "losing" salvation, it could be argued that "rejecting salvation" is the possible alternative to "losing" it; this is an alternative that is also clearly spelled out in Scripture. In other words, when we are filled with grace...with the faith that ensures salvation...we know we will have eternal life, should we happen to die at that very moment. But we cannot know IF we (as one individual) will always so treasure God's precious gift of faith.

I'm reminded of a few unfortunate individuals I've known over the years who once claimed to be Christian and who are now NOT Christians. Some might argue that these folks were "never saved in the first place." That may be true, but they surely believed (with certainty) that they were faith-filled when they were proclaiming themselves "saved." How does one know that the same thing might not be the case in his or her own personal future? (That he or she won't choose to reject God's precious gift?)

The only con I can think of with respect to a personal belief in a general OSAS is that such a doctrine can (not necessarily does -- but CAN) be a breeding ground for complacency, and even be akin to claiming for oneself the omniscience and prescience God alone possesses.

As an individual, I treasure God's gift of faith, and view it as the gift it is. I am abundantly grateful for it and am secure in the knowledge that nothing can take it away from me; however, I cannot overlook Scriptural support for the possibility that I -- again, as an individual -- could possibly (God forbid!) one day reject it. To think that that couldn't possibly happen to me would be, as I said above, akin to claiming for myself a knowledge that only God possesses.

So, to sum up..."losing" it? Not possible. "Rejecting" it? Unfortunately...possible.