1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why bother?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Sep 30, 2012.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I agree with this. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we change that to a pork roast.....I dont like lamb! :D

Seriously though, our faith has nothing to do with our eternal destiny but everything to do with the benefits to be had from obedience to the gospel here, now, in this realm.

God Himself has settled all eternal aspects of our salvation. It's up to us to believe that, rest in it, trust Him, adhere to Him, rely on Him, love Him, love our neighbor, and enjoy the table He has set before us. Thats what I believe anyway.

#42 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

1. I reject the Calvinistic interpretation of the bible for their basis of TULI.

2. I accept the biblical basis for Original Sin, Corporate Election, Provisional atonement, Grace which appears to all man, and the promise of the Holy Spirit which seals all who believe (Eph. 1).

3. One is able to affirm and agree with Calvinism about the effects of regeneration without affirming the unbiblical concept that regeneration precedes faith or supersedes moral free will.

4. Skandelon

Or does the logic of your system lead there?

But as long as he doesn't water down or neglect the gospel why would he seek in any way to be interesting? Wouldn't that only undermine the Calvinistic premise? That is my question here.

But what does "proclaim it well" mean in a system where persuasiveness, interest, and appeal have no effect? Any level of emotive appeal, interest, excitement, persuasive intent would appear to undermine the premise that only a supernatural predetermined work of the Holy Spirit will change their hearts.

In fact, in your system, the more boring and uninteresting the preacher is the more obvious that God worked if someone where to come to faith, right?

How so? We believe the gospel is an APPEAL to be reconciled, so to make it as APPEALING as possible is consistent with what we believe it is intended to do. The gospel enables an enemy of God to respond and be reconciled in our system, but in your system it only informs the pre-reconciled of their reconciliation...you don't appear to leave any room for an appeal.

That is my point. So, it only reasons to suggest that you leave the passion/excitement/appeal out so as not to take away any glory from the effectual working of regeneration done by the Holy Spirit. Your preaching classes should be much different than ours.

Again, you need to define 'well' from your system's perspective, because from my understanding 'well' means accurate, not interesting.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pertaining to point 3. You do not see that in Ephesians 1-2?

Again for my edification...what is Provisional atonement?

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

So you accept some measure of mystery here...that Jesus tells us to pray for God to do something that God already knows is needed in order to bring the Gospel message to some for salvation?

7. Skandelon

We don't believe the prayer is meant to inform God, but to beseech Him. You seem to equate God's knowing of what needs to be done with your view of God predetermining what needs to be done. Any parent here can tell you the difference in knowing what your child needs to do and your willingness to intervene before they ask for help or fail.

I believe Van's argument is to say that Jesus would not have said this if he was a determinist. Jesus appears to believe that prayer can actually change things...that God listens and responds to his people when they beseech him in earnest. Jesus seems to promote a real 'give and take' relationship with our heavenly Father where we 'synergistically' play a role in the redemption of the world.

#47 Skandelon, Oct 2, 2012
  8. Skandelon

In Eph. 1-2, I see that God has predestined to adopt all believers regardless of their nationality. I don't see that God has predestined which individual from each nation will or will not believe.

See HERE>>>>>>

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It might seem dry to a carnal mind. Might smell like sun-baked roadkill, too. But I would cite the account of Paul on Mars Hill. Did he somehow neglect the persuasion, pleading and making of an appeal?

No, it just doesn't look like what you think it does.

Again, I would cite the account of Paul on Mars Hill.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pitchback

Your post is total fiction, representing the behavior of many Calvinists who simply run away from their doctrine.

11. Skandelon

Kind of begs the question to presume Paul believes as you do, don't you think?

His use of persuasion only goes to support our premise, not yours. You have yet to explain where the persuasiveness of an appeal fits in your system logically.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your post is total fiction. I believe Jesus died for all mankind, Calvinism believes Jesus died for the elect. I believe unregenerate people can seek God and trust in Christ such that God credits their faith in Christ as righteousness and places them in Christ. Calvinism believes unregenerates never at any time seek God, and only after a person is "quickened" do they seek God and trust in Christ. I believe in conditional election, God chooses people for salvation through faith in the truth, Calvinism teaches God chose people for salvation without regard to any aspect of their character. I believe the call of the gospel is resistible, thus we are invited rather than compelled (dragged irresistibly) to be reconciled to God.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what I said: We should pray for God to use us to reach the lost, hastening the day of our Lord's return.

Your complete and total misrepresentations of my view is amazing to behold. Ever hear anyone say at the end of a prayer, "we pray this in the name of Jesus?" Please explain how your rewritten prayer is in the name of Jesus. Just saying...

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Could not have said it better. We are commanded to go. The next step is for the Lord. It is time we let the Lord be the Lord, and stop with the endless Calvin threads. Very good answer.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is the pleading? Where is the persuasion? There were some that believed and followed, but you don't see Paul jumping through hoops to plead and beg.

He made his case, some believed, others didn't and that was that. Exactly as you said logic would dictate the decorum of the Calvinist message. The only thing amiss is your judgment of it as dry and boring.

16. 12strings

12strings Active Member

So would you equate God asking us to ask him to a parent telling their child to ask politely for something?

My point in bringing up the harvest illustration is this: God knows what we need, what the lost world needs, but asks that we pray for it, and actually tells us in James that there are things we don't have because we don't ask for them...The harvest illustration seems to further imply that there are those lost who would not be lost if we would just pray that God would send laborors. Now, as a (mostly) calvinist, I would say that it is not necessary for God to wait for me to pray before he sends out a missonary...but also that our prayers are effective...just like our witness. How does that work? I don't know.

#56 12strings, Oct 2, 2012
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Calvinism the unregenerate will not be open to the gospel. How come you do not cite the "command" to shake the dust off? Just saying smorgasbord theology is fun, anyone can play!

18. 12strings

12strings Active Member

You're right, that's exactly what we should pray for.

Not really sure what you are talking about here, I was just asking a question for clarification. I was actually saying that is generally my view, and asking if you agreed. Not everyone who asks you questions is intentionally misrepresenting you.

Simple, here's an example: "God, There are lost people in New England, I pray that you would send missionaries and church-planters into that dark place with the Gospel. You know better than me who they are, and where these missionaries are most needed, so please do it. Show me how I may support them... In Jesus' Name, Amen."

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simple, here's an example: "God, There are lost people in New England, I pray that you would send missionaries and church-planters into that dark place with the Gospel. You know better than me who they are, and where these missionaries are most needed, so please do it. Show me how I may support them... In Jesus' Name, Amen."

If you think that prayer is in the name of Jesus I have a covered bridge in New England to sell you. :) Ever hear Jesus teaching on testing God, doing things that depend on God for a good result? Just saying

Jesus tells us to pray for God to do something that God already knows is needed in order to bring the Gospel message to some for salvation? When you rewrote the rewrite you added a valid prayer, show me how I may support [other workers in the harvest.]

#59 Van, Oct 2, 2012
  20. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Sorry, I don't really know what you're trying to say here.