1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why call me Pastor?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some time ago, Dr Bob started a thread "Why the title Pastor".

I thought it was interesting. Instead of adding a new post - I thought I would just start over - since Dr Bobs thread was several pages - and now we have many new members.

Here is the link to Dr Bobs "why the title Pastor"

As for myself - I am the "senior (and only) pastor"
    As we grow, we will have qualified men to be elders. One of their duties will be to have charge of different aspects of the church ie Christian Education, Trustees, Visitation, ect, ect.
    As Pastor, I am also an elder. I would suppose we use the term pastor somewhat out of tradition and colloquialism.

Salty

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you resign (perhaps because of age), after being pastor for many years, move, and join another church, are you still entitled to the title "pastor" for now you don't have your own flock to shepherd?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Formally, no I would not be a "pastor". But its somewhat the same as President. Mr. Carter is no longer President, but he is often refered to as President Carter - and I have no problem with that.

The problem is a former pastor is when he remains at the same church - and...

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I don't see any need to use the title at all. We have no Bible precedent for it.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"There you go, again!" (President Ronald Reagan) ;)

Ed

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Acts 20:28-290 may provide us with some guidance. Paul has called the elders from Ephesus to Miletus to say goodbye to them. He tells them that the Holy Spirit has made them overseers (bishops) of the flock, and urges them to guard the flock against wolves. This suggest to me that they are to perform the function of shepherds (also called pastors). So we see the elders described as elders, bishops and pastors, all in the same conversation.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

There is no job description but I suppose that would be indicated by the title itself:​

poimen

poimh,n poimen {poy-mane'}

Meaning:

1) a herdsman, esp. a shepherd 1a) in the parable, he to whose care and control others have committed themselves, and whose precepts they follow 2) metaph. 2a) the presiding officer, manager, director, of any assembly: so of Christ the Head of the church 2a1) of the overseers of the Christian assemblies 2a2) of kings and princes

HankD​

#7 HankD, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Well, then, I guess we need to call folks Teacher So and So :)?

It is obvious that the word pastor is used in the word of God. It is not used as part of a title.

I am the pastor of a local church. I don't need to be reminded of that when some one calls my name.

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I have a friend who agrees with you but goes another step. He does not want to be called pastor so and so, brother so and so or professor so and so, even though one could say he is all three and does not call other by those names, he believes it is phony. By the way he has an earned doctorate, but does not want to be called doctor and would rather not call some one else doctor, but will bent on that rather than hurt their feelings.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I agree, I will use it for someone else rather than cause offence. And I don't get 'bent out of shape' if someone uses it for me.

Just would MUCH rather be 'Roger.'

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What is interesting that the verse implicates that pastors are to be teachers.

Anyhoo, in some younger generations many of my friends (and myself) are moving away from titles and just asking our people to call us by first name. It isn't that we don't like the title or office, but that we would like for people around us to embrace concepts like priesthood of all believers and be less formal. I can spiritually lead people as an under-shepherd of Christ without having to be constantly referred to with a title. :)

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thank you kindly :) - younger, I like that :)

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I missed your point, but now that I've found it, I agree with it. A simple Brother So-and-So, Brother First-Name will do fine. Or even just call pastors by their first name only. I don't have any objection to calling him pastor, though.

I don't like calling him Pastor Bill. I also don't like calling every staff member pastor--such as "Youth Pastor, Worship Pastor, etc." It smacks of the practice of calling a janitor "sanitary engineer."

Reminds me of a former pastor who jokingly told me he got his D.Min degree so he could preach like a Pentecostal and folks wouldn't laugh at him.

My opinions are my own, with no Scriptural justification, basically formed by the Baptist culture in which I grew up. Sort of like some folks who don't want to learn a new song, "I know what I like and I like what i know."

14. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Roger that!! :laugh:

I guess that's one reason I'm glad that I've never been called to preach. I don't have to worry about what I should be called.

Or like my one friend would say, "You can call me anything you want, just don't call me late for supper!" :thumbs:

15. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I don't mind calling someone a pastor, but I don't see the title as being distinct from an elder. If a man is an elder of a church, he is a pastor of that church, whether there be one or many. They share equal authority. The only senior pastor I am aware of is Jesus. The rest are under-shepherds.

RB

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Now, this I can endorse as a breath of fresh air.

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

When I was growing up, I would call my pastor Preacher or Bro. Dale (his name was Dale). I usually called him preacher as a term of endearment.

Then there was Mike. Then Bro. Ronnie. Then....Freak. Then Mark. Then.....Pastor Craig. (Last name. Long story.) Everyone else just by first name. No particular reasons, each individual.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The doctrine of the Priesthood of the Believer has nothing to do with titles or formalities between people:

Exo 19:5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine;
    Exo 19:6 and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words that you shall speak to the people of Israel."

1Pe 2:5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ

1Pe 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

19. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I think a lot has to do with how the person comes across and is accepted. In the past I spend a good amount of time around Al Janney, Carl Hatch, Adrian Rogers, they went by their names and we all called them by their first names when around them.

On the other hand in the past I spend a good amount of time around Dr. So and So and Dr. so n so and they went by those tags and they were called by those tags.

Then from my southern back ground, I always use sir or mam and Mr., Mrs. or Miss until I know the folks well.

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

the only problem I have with it is when the TITLE takes over for the person's name. I've noticed that more and more in this area and I don't remember it in the past.

Instead of Pastor so-n-so. It's just Pastor. I wonder what PASTOR thinks of this. Or Pastor, do you want to go to see Mr. Jones with us? When did Pastor Smith lose his identity ?