1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why call me Pastor?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

You have caused me to think. When in the service I began a lot of that type of thing, I would say captain rather than captain so n so. We would always call people by their rank who were above us. I don't remember but I believe it is what we were taught. I also went to a military school in HS and we did the same thing.

But time change. I know at church there aren't many children who call folks Mr. or Mrs. so n so and about 25% who use sir and mam.

At my last church they called me PB and I didn't care for it at first but ended up loving it, PB was short for pastor Bob.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't think much of it. Though I tell adults to call me by my first name, not all of them do, particularly the older ones. Many just call me "Pastor" which is fine with me. There is no reason not to. I didn't lose my identity in it.

3. PeterM

PeterM Member

As a pastor, I appreciate the use of the title when referring to me or in addressing me. I believe it to be appropriate and respectful. That said, I would never demand it of anyone in my church. Having been at this church for just one year, it has been interesting people who have been addressing me by my first name, begin to address me as pastor peter.

In any case, I have made an informal request that people not refer to me as "preacher" or "brother". Just a personal thing... I guess because I am a yankee!