1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Calvinists Preach and Teach the Gospel

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by KenH, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Chappie,

Am I hearing you right that you are a Messianic Jew? If you are we all praise the Lord that He has received you and made you His own. Wonderful!!

[Non-contribution deleted; keep your posts on topic.]

[ September 23, 2002, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]

2. You, Chappie, are misusing the words in the specific quote from Augustine you typed in your post. He is praying for the salvation of the Jewish people and you are trying to use it to sound like a bigoted statement.

So, do you recant using the quote that you used to try to besmirch Augustine's character?

Ken
    </font>[/QUOTE]They are "NOT" my words, they are a copy and paste.

Can you understand that I did not even type the words.

If I own anyone an apology it is Ken, It was not my intention to so greviously offend you. St. Augustine will have to wait untill i get to heaven and ask him he meant. You cannot speak in his stead. If i am wrong, (there I will know it) i will beg his forgiveness.

Anti semitism/early church

Antisemitism/Early church

antisemitism

[ September 22, 2002, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Chappie ]

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chappie,

You know what the passage you pasted means. You're starting to sound like Dave Hunt and his misuse of a quote from Spurgeon. :(

Ken

[ September 23, 2002, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

4. Gosh Ken:
    I did not even say what they mean, I simply copied and pasted them that we may know as much as we can know about those that we throw out as being scripturally perfect in their intrepretations.

If you love Augustine as much as you appear to, this should change nothing, HE WAS A MAN... Instead of trying to hide our past mistakes, what we should be doing instead is appologizing to the Jews for harm done...

Who is Dave Hunt. Is he anything like St. Augustine??

Christ is my hero. Nothing else born of a woman can come close to him.

Didn't mean to shake you up so terribly...

[ September 23, 2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Chappie ]

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what is wrong with what Augustine said in the quote you used? Do you have a problem with someone praying for God to save Jews?

By the way, you do know that the apostles John and James wanted to call down fire from heaven against Samaritans, and the apostle Peter was so bigoted against Gentiles that the apostle Paul had to chastise him? Should we not pay attention to what they wrote as well going by your standard because of these actions on their part?

Ken

6. russell55

russell55 New Member

Chappie,

I sure it has nothing at all to do with Augustine, anyway. It's just that it is seems pretty clear that Augustine is wishing that the sword of the word would pierce the hearts of the Jews so that they would become believers in Christ. The language he uses contains many direct quotes from scripture and I would assume they mean exactly the same thing they meant in scripture. And to use a quote like that to try to say someone is antisemitic is silly and deceptive. I know you only cut and pasted something you found on the net, but it sort of makes you wonder about the person who put the page together.

7. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

It has already been predetermined by God who He will save - we read of this in Matt 22 v 14. The question "why then preach the Gospel" is a simple one to answer - Because Christ has commanded it.

Kind regards

Robert J Hutton

8. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue is not about Augustine. The issue is about the quote that Chappie used to besmirch Augustine's character(which was his backdoor attempt to besmirch Spurgeon's character). There may be other quotes Chappie could use to besmirch Augustine's character, but the one he used ain't the one. [​IMG]

But for the purposes of this forum, character is not the issue, theology is. So why Chappie wants to get into a spitting contest on character is not understandable to me. :D

Ken

[ September 23, 2002, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

10. And what is wrong with what Augustine said in the quote you used? Do you have a problem with someone praying for God to save Jews?

By the way, you do know that the apostles John and James wanted to call down fire from heaven against Samaritans, and the apostle Peter was so bigoted against Gentiles that the apostle Paul had to chastise him? Should we not pay attention to what they wrote as well going by your standard because of these actions on their part?

Ken
    </font>[/QUOTE]If that is what Augustine was saying, how am i besmirching his character. Do you at least admit that he said it..

The bible is honest enough not to attempt to hide these truths concerning the apostles to what ever extent they are true. Yet to point out a possible flaw in Calvin and Augustines perception is to besmirch their character. Do you besmirch the character of Arminian when you accuse him of spreading false docturine. Btw, i can learn from any man, yet no man, save christ, is my guru...

At least i am honest enough to pay attention to all that they say, I do not pick and choose just to support some whim of docturine.

Augustine is a great Church father, i respect him in spite of what his quote might indicate, yet; he was a man....

You are always quoting Spurgeon as a holy man of scripture. You support your position based on his preceived integerity.

Augustine, Spurgeon, Calvin, Luther, were all men, each one made grevious mistakes in their lives. If they possibly were in error concerning their position on the Jews, possibly they are in error in other areas also. This is getting rediculous. THEY WERE MEN, SUBJECT TOTHE SAME FRAILTIES AS YOU AND I. CASE CLOSED...

[ September 23, 2002, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Chappie ]

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    St. Augustine (c. 354-430 A.D.), Confessions, 12.14:
    How hateful to me are the enemies of your Scripture! How I wish that you would slay them (the Jews) with your two-edged sword, so that there should be none to oppose your word! Gladly would I have them die to themselves and live to you! Peter the Venerable – known as "the meekest of men, a model of Christian charity"Yes, you Jews.

Chappie,

Here is the quote. What is wrong with what Augustine said? Please point our the phrase that has rattled you so. Is there a problem with wanting people to die to themselves and live to God? I am very perplexed by you on this. :confused:

Ken

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we go again?! "Perceived" integrity? Please show me a quote where Spurgeon made a bigoted statement about Jews.

Spurgeon was arguably the greatest gospel preacher since the 1st Century. I know that has to stick in the craw of Arminians. :D

Ken

13. Here we go again?! "Perceived" integrity? Please show me a quote where Spurgeon made a bigoted statement about Jews.

Spurgeon was arguably the greatest gospel preacher since the 1st Century. I know that has to stick in the craw of Arminians. :D

Ken
    </font>[/QUOTE]I shall leave your perception of Mr. Spurgeon in tact. You have the same resources availiable to you as I do.

Mr. Spurgeon is a great man...

I am accepting pastor Larry's admonotion to chill out...

[ September 23, 2002, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Chappie ]

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Larry,

Since I started this thread, I am requesting that you close it so that someone can't come along out of the blue and re-open this unprofitable discussion by posting to it.

Thanks. [​IMG]

Ken

15. That's kinda like a doctor commanding two blinks of the eyes for a migrain headache. Does god indeed command exercises in futility???

16. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

Chappie, what you've encountered on this board in regards to the preaching of the gospel is the typical Calvinist response that God has already completed everything in regards to eternal salvation, yet there's still one more thing left -man's part.

"Scratch a Calvinist, and you'll find an Arminian."

I've posted information about the preaching of the gospel from a Primitive Baptist viewpoint, but I never receive any feedback. I, therefore, refuse to post anything else. Maybe the reason is because the Calvinist brethren have nothing to say against it; I'm not quite sure. If you'd like to know what the Primitive Baptists believe in regards to the preaching of the gospel and eternal salvation, feel more than free to contact me by E-mail or private message. [​IMG]