1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Did Adam Do It?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Apr 29, 2007.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

The How Did Adam Do It thread made me think...

...and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. - Gen. 3:6

And Adam was not deceived - 1 Tim 2:14

Why did Adam eat the fruit? He was not deceived by the serpent or Eve...so, why did he eat?

2. amity

amity New Member

John Milton maintained in Paradise Lost that Adam "did it" because of his love for Eve, which was his one great weakness. He knew she would be banished from the garden and could not bear the thought of being without her.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God had created a park bench newly painted and put a sign on it that said "wet paint"...

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

To know the actual truth we would have to ask Adam Himself, all else is speculation.:godisgood:

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Just a guess, but from the above it sounds like Eve just gave her husband some fruit, and he ate it. The text doesn't say she told Adam where it came from. It also doesn't say Adam knew or didn't know where it came from. That's why I say it's just a guess.

6. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I figure God told them both not to eat of the fruit of a certain tree ... may have pointed and said "that one right over yonder, up behind th' 'tuther one thar .. see it .. yeah, that one."

So Adam was without excuse.

That does not mean that I will vote for a woman for president.

7. Sober_Baptist

Sober_Baptist New Member

You can't live with them; you can't live without them. Every day is an emotional roller-coaster, but aren't they purdy?

8. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

It may be that Adam was right there beside her through the entire ordeal and failed to protect here from the subtle serpent.

We do know that God told Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit or touch the fruit.
    Genesis 3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

If Eve was not telling the truth here, then her lie would have been the sin which opened their eyes and plunged the human race into sin, and the eating of the fruit would have been irrelevant.

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

While I think it's possible that he didn't know, when it says he wasn't deceived, I think it means he wasn't deceived period. By either one.

However, we're told to cleave to our spouses. Milton may have been pretty right on.

But, as has been pointed out, it's just speculation.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yes, it's possible he was right there with her when she was deceived, but wouldn't that mean he was deceived, too? Later scripture denies that. It's also possible he was with her later.

I'm getting pretty old, but I wasn't there, so I can't tell you which it was.

11. amity

amity New Member

While we are letting our imaginations run free, what would have happened if Eve had eaten the fruit and Adam had not? Would mankind have fallen?

(hmmm, I suppose we would have to conclude that mankind would not have existed, since Cain and Abel weren't born until after the fall ...)

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

If he had not eaten, would she have been expelled?

Adam is a type of Christ.

13. Brother Jeremy Slone

I believe Adam ate of it because he was made subject to vanity, Romans 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, And i see the picture where he loved his bride that he tasted death for her as Christ tasted death for every man in Hebrews 2:9 and as it says in Hebrews 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. So i see the type and shadow of Adam tasting death for his wife who had been separated from him as Christ tasted death for every one that would make up his bride. And Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; So I believe God permitted Adam to fall for His own Purpose to Glorify His Son as the Savior of His church.

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

Well, I've got 2 cents...

All,

My understanding is this --- Adam ate in order to save Eve.

It was Adam who was instructed by God before Eve was created. So first off, Adam may not have passed on all the information he had.

Further, Adam wasn't there when Eve was tempted. "Eve took..." Took where? "took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate." There is NO mandate I can see for her to eat it where she found it. And we don't hear from Adam even one time in this whole exchange! If Adam loved Eve, he could have "saved" her before she ate. To me, he realized Eve ate and so ate himself.

There are a few factors that most don't take into account too. 1) Adam is like Christ and Eve like the church. 2) Adam was commanded not just to avoid the tree but to "leave his father and cleave to his wife." That is how him eating the fruit is obedient in one respect to God's commands.

This is a grand picture of Christ, don't you see? He was not here when you (esp OT folks) sinned or He would have surely kept you from it! He finds out that you sinned and in order to save you, he has to die to redeem you.

Now if you want real speculation, Plain Old Bill, suppose that Adam WAS Christ. Suppose He created the whole world, named all the animals, etc. Suppose that He died for Eve and lost his dominion.

Have you noticed that Adam never offered a burnt sacrifice to God? Or that for a long time Adam was called "Lord?" Or that He might have thereby preached to preflood "spirits," 2Pet? Have you noticed that Jesus was typical of resurrected OT saints -- born of the Spirit, unable to procreate, sinless, unable to die (except "He gave His own life" -- notice how many times others sought to stone Him but didn't/couldn't), etc. Anyway, sometimes SPECULATIONS can test your knowledge of scripture, no?

skypair

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

skypair.

Adam disobeyed God and he knew what he was doing, trying to be like God, his sovereignty had been trampled upon.

GE 3:2 The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, `You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' "

She had all the info she needed, she ignored Adam and disobeyed God.

Eve knew what had happened the second she bit the fruit, she should have warned Adam.

We all do the justifying thing, Adam and Eve disobeyed God.

He doesn't have to do anything. ISA 46:10 I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone. :)

It is God that gives sacrifices for those He has chosen. GE 3:21 The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

What are you talking about? Forget this stuff skypair, the scriptures says there are two Adams, a first Adam and a second Adam. It is to do with federal headship, all those in the first Adam are dead because of Adam's sin and all those in Christ are alive because of their Head's righteousness.

john.

16. Brother Jeremy Slone

I am not sure how Adam would have saved her in eating, I just believe its a type and shadow of the love of Christ for His bride who was corrupted. As far as what Eve knew, I believe she knew or why would the serpent have to beguile her as in Genesis 3:13. To me thats more than just a lie. She was tricked or deceived, just like a type or shadow of Paul telling the Church in 2 Cor. 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
    Eve as well as Adam had a consequence for her actions; Genesis 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. Genesis 3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden 3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. So she knew just as much as Adam did.

17. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

While I don't agree with all of skypair's post I do believe the Bible tells us that Adam knew exactly what he was doing when he ate the fruit.

This is actually a very indepth picture and quite a lovely picture when fully understood as to it's meaning. Adam and Eve were created to rule the earth (there's a lot more to even this story, but for time's sake will not be expounded on) and they were to do so as one person. Eve was bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh.

When Eve ate of the fruit she was no longer in a position to rule the earth. He saw his wife in a fallen state and new that in order for him to rule as he was instructed that his wife would have to be redeemed. The only way that would be possible is for him to join her in that state and then to be redeemed together.

It's the picture of Christ seeing His bride in a fallen state and becoming sin to bring about her redemption.

These stories that are most often just glanced over and very little time spent on them are actually quite awesome when we see how they tie into the whole big picture.

18. Brother Jeremy Slone

Ya I have trouble with Christ finding out anything as well. I believe God purposed to save his people before the foundation of the World. I believe Christ was going to save His people before the fall even happened. 1 Peter 1:19-20 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Rev. 13:8 refers to Him as the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. I believe God knows all and works all things for his own purpose and Glory.

19. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

now, this is something to think about.

20. skypair

skypair Active Member

Well, if Adam had been there, he would have protested the serpent's words or physically kept Eve from eating, as I see it. Instead, he was left with "saving" her by going with her in disobedience.

She knew something, for sure! She knew all she needed to know, for sure! The deception was believing God was a liar, didn't mean what He said, didn't want the best for Eve, etc.

Good point. And notice it says "FROM the simplicity that is in Christ." We have many here for whom Christ has been made "difficult!"

Thanks for your thoughtful remarks. :godisgood:

skypair