1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why did God create us and what did he do before he created us?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 17, 2006.

1. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

standing... do you really have any idea how many different Baptist affiliations there are? I do notice a lacking of American Baptists here.
    But, you so called fundementalists do not have the right to judge those that have a RED LETTER perspective.

2. standingfirminChrist

Any answer to the OP question would be outside of scripture?

There you go posting non Baptist thoughts again!

Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Just those two verses alone tell why we, why all things were created. How is any answer that is given outside of scripture?

Oh, I forgot... You don't believe the Bible

3. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

by the way, standing... maybe you should start a thread telling us exactly what qualifies one as a Baptist. Could it be Baptism by the Holy Spirit and Salvation by faith? Or is it following the Jewish Law and believing nothing ever changes and you are the only one that is right?

I hope we Baptists are a little more open than that.

Now, hmmm, what did God do before he created us?

4. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

SB has a point. How are we to witness to atheists if we do not understand where they are coming from? As far as Nietzsche is concerned we have to look at it in context. First of all he was an existentialist. Secondly, he was not as much saying God was dead, as he was criticizing the church. He writes, "Whither is God...I shall tell you. We have killed him you and I". He goes on to write, "What are these churches now if they are not the tombs and sepulchers of God?". As an existentialist he is against this passive approach to Christianity. Take, Thus Spoke Zarathustra , for example. He writes, "No shepherd and one herd! everybody wants the same, everybody is the same: whomever feels different goes voluntarily into a madhouse". He is not mocking God, he is mocking the Christians who want to be spoon-fed. The Christians that do not actively study their faith. The Christians who do not make an effort. In such a sense, God is dead for some. God is not just something we worship on Sundays and put away for the rest of the week.

5. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

standing... you have nerve, arrogant and sure. I have never said I don't believe the Bible. I just don't interpret it literally as do you. You know, there are other kinds of Baptists. Why don't you have a little respect and Brotherly love. Or is your Baptistry, one of hate and judgement?

6. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I believe you are misinterpreting SB. Yes, the Bible does say why all things were created. It does not, however, give an accounting of the Philosophy in regards to "real" time.

7. Petrel

Petrel New Member

And perhaps we could take it to another thread!

SB's rabbit-trail seems rather disorganized, though. He first said that this idea didn't originate with atheists but with nominal Christians, then when I responded in a PM that I thought it was Nietsche's idea Nietsche and atheists suddenly became the focus of that side-track. I wish I had followed that original link before it vanished! [​IMG]

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Go to any Baptist website and find out what Baptists believe. The first and foremost Baptist distinctive is:
    The Bible is our final authority in all matters of faith and practice.
    If you don't believe that, then you are not a Baptist.

Here are a couple of quotes:
    Oh, yes, I read the Bible but in the proper context and I realize it is NOT the only way God communicates with us.
    --This is not the belief of a Baptist. It is the belief of a gnostic. The Bible is the only way that God communicates to us.
    This is not the belief of a Baptist. It is the belief of a gnostic.
    A Baptist basis his faith on the knowledge of the word of God.
    Faith cometh through hearing and hearing by the Word of God.
    Without knowledge you cannot be saved.
    Your quotes are not those that are reflective of Baptist beliefs. I could quote many more. But that should be enough for now.
    DHK

9. standingfirminChrist

Red Letter as in the Word's of Christ?

Let's look into that...

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Hmmm, the very Words of Christ tell us to go outside of the Red Letters because the rest of the scriptures testify of Christ. Jesus even told us the Prophets testify of Him.

Get off of the Red Letter only soapbox and stand on the truth of God's Word. We cannot say Red Letter only.

All scripture is given for man's edification. For reproof, for doctrine, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

10. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

Forget the Atheists on this thread. I have started another. But, I am appalled at the arrogance I hear from some. Thanks for the open mind and loving Christianity, Superproducer. Very good stuff.

11. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Nietzsche was an athiest, but first and foremost an existentialist. There are other "Christian" existentialist who take this same approach, i.e. annoyance with passive Christians. Kierkegaard and Dostoevsky are two of them.

12. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

I focus on the RED LETTERS. I do not excluded the rest of the Bible. Show me one case where I have suggested that.

If you think this is a place to judge people, I can think of a few better places for you to go.

13. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

Let's not bother. I find atheists that are more open minded than some on this board.

I love all, but hate their sins.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have showed you already. I will quote you again:
    Red letters or not, knowledge comes from all the Bible, red letters included. You have just done away with the entire Bible, just as you did when you asserted that if we burned all the Bibles we would still have the Word God in Jesus. This is pure mystical gnosticism.
    The only way that we can know Christ is through the Word of God--all the Word of God.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Do you believe God's Word or not?
    A Baptist believe's God's Word, not some mystical Jesus that can be known outside of the Word of God. This is the type of Jesus that you have painted for us.
    DHK

15. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

DHK, I am sorry, but that is not fair. He just said that he focuses on the red letter, but does NOT exclude the rest of the Bible. That you may doctrinal differences is clear, but calling him a mystical gnostic is not being truthful.

16. standingfirminChrist

Filmproducer,

He has in other threads said that we are not to read the written word, but we are to listen to a voice within us.

That is mysticism.

17. standingfirminChrist

Here is a quote where SB denies the written Word of God.

taken from the Homosexual groups advocate at christian colleges thread:
    Sure looks to me like he doubts the very Bible he states he reads is of the Holy Spirit. Maybe he reads it just to question its authority?

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

18. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

Misquotes, false dichotomies, lies. Read the bible AND listen to the Holy Spirit. It seems many of you are deaf to his voice and can only conveniently misinterpret the Bible.

If you read my profile you will see my favorite verse is John 1:1. Read it and then listen for a change.

Even those who have never, or never will see the PAPER bible will have the opportunity to accept Christ through the Holy Spirit. This theology was accepted a long time ago in the SBC.

Try God's Word, not man's.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why did God create us:-

Ephesians 1:5-6 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
    6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
    1. for the good pleasure of his will.
    2. to the praise of the glory of his grace.
    3. that we may be accepted in the beloved.

Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
    4. For his pleasure we were created.

Acts 17:24-25 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
    25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

Before Creation, we can only speculate. God is infinite. We are finite. But it does tell us that God has need of nothing. He doesn't need us. He doesn't need our praise and worship. He commands us to worship us for our own good, not his good. God doesn't need us nor our worship. If he needed anything he would not be God. Therefore he had no need to create anything. To speculate on what God did before Creation is needless speculation which the Bible commands that we should not do.
    DHK

20. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

Religion IS mysticism. if we could prove any of this, it wouldn't be faith, now would it? Leave FACTS to scientists. Otherwise, profess your faith and let the Holy Spirit burden the hearts of the unsaved.