1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why did God slaughter these children?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 5, 2015.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did you do this? Did you use Bible software or was this done using books?

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strong's Concordance. It's Bible Study 101 to learn how to do word studies.

3. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

You don't want to know my take on it.

4. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I'm just curious.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She's right, basic word studies.
    Much of it can be done using on-line available sources.

HALOT though, is a upper-level lexicon available only 'for purchase' on various software platforms.

You can make similar observations without it and find much of its information with a bit of hard work. Using Strong's concordance and the KJV as "home base", you can compare the many good English translations and develop a feel for the range of various words meanings.

Rob

#25 Deacon, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John - where was I incorrect, so that I may correct my mistake?

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Fifth, the Ethics of the Miracle
    The passage before us is one which infidels have been quick to seize upon, and lamentable indeed have been many of the answers
    returned to them. But the Word has survived every opposition of its enemies and all the puerile apologies of its weak-kneed friends. Nor are the Scriptures in any danger whatever in this skeptical and blatant age.

Being the Word of God, they contain nothing which His servants have any need to be ashamed of, nothing which requires
    any explaining away. It is not our province to sit in judgment upon Holy Writ: our part is to tremble before it (Isa. 66:2) knowing that
    one day we shall be judged by it (John 12:48). As Jehovah was ableto look after the sacred ark without the help of any of His creatures
    (2 Sam. 6:6-7), so His truth is in need of no carnal assistance from us. It is to be received without question and believed in with all our hearts. It is to be preached and proclaimed in its entirety without hesitation or reservation.

Certain so-called Christian apologists have replied to the taunts of infidels by a process of what is termed "toning down" the
    passage, arguing that it was not little children but young men who were cursed by the prophet and torn to pieces by the bears: but such an effeminate explanation is as senseless as it is needless. We quite agree with Thomas Scott when he says,

Some learned men have endeavored to prove that these offenders were not young children but grown-up persons, and no
    doubt the word rendered "children" is often used in that sense. The addition, however of the word "little" seems to clearly evince they
    were not men, but young boys who had been brought up in idolatry and taught to despise the prophets of the Lord.
    Others roundly condemn Elisha, saying he should have meekly endured their taunts in silence and that he sinned grievously
    in cursing them. It is sufficient to point out that his Master deemed otherwise. Instead of rebuking His servant, He sent the bears to
    fulfill his curse, and there is no appeal against His decision.

Some Bible teachers have asserted mistakenly that this drastic punishment was necessary because the Old Testament period
    was governed by the law, but that under New Testament grace, this would not warrant immediate judgment. Let such teachers remember that Ananias and Sapphira fell dead as soon as they sinned against the Holy Spirit (Acts 5).

God is even now giving the most awe-inspiring and widereaching proof of His wrath against those who flout His Law,
    visiting the earth with sorer judgments than any He has sent since the days of Noah! The New Testament equally with the Old teaches
    "it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them
    that trouble you" (2 Thess. 1:6). In the incident before us, God was righteously visiting the sins of the fathers upon the children, as He
    was by the death of their children also smiting the parents in their tenderest parts. At almost the end of the Old Testament era we read
    that Israel "mocked the messengers of God, and despised his words, and misused his prophets, until the wrath of the LORD arose against his people, till there was no remedy" (2 Chron. 36:16).
    Here at Bethel God was giving a warning, a sample of His coming wrath, unless they reformed their ways and treated His servants better.
    Sixth, the Meaning of the Miracle
    At first glance it certainly appears that there can be no parallel between the above action of Elisha and that which should
    characterize the servants of Christ, and many are likely to conclude that it can only be by a wide stretch of imagination or a flagrant
    wresting of this incident that it can be made to yield anything
    pertinent for this age. But it must be remembered that we are not looking for a literal counterpart but rather a spiritual application.
    Viewing it thus, our type is solemnly accurate. Ministers of the gospel are "unto God a sweet savor of Christ, in them that are saved,
    and in them that perish: To the one we are the savor of death unto death; and to the other the savor of life unto life" (2 Cor. 2:14-15).
    Certainly the evangelist has no warrant to anathamatize any who
    oppose him, but he can point out that they are accursed of God who love not Christ and who obey not His law (1 Cor. 16:22; Galatians
    3:10).

http://grace-ebooks.com/library/Art...a_ His Life and Miracles - Arthur W. Pink.pdf

#27 Iconoclast, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Probably not due to your posting history.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Your tone of was but you apologized

10. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I thought about commenting, but after I just read his response to me, I decided against it. I don't feel like throwing raw meat to a dog. Some people really don't want to debate anyway. Thinking makes them uncomfortable.

11. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair enough

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    However, there are others asking, not him. I, too, am curious.

13. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I appreciate that. And I do believe that some of us could have fruitful discussion about this. But I'm not sure I want to open this up. I don't really enjoy conflict. I don't mind strong disagreement. I think we often learn by such, but some people are just waiting to throw out false charges, attacks, etc. That would make anything I post counterproductive.

Let me at least pose this question, to you and anyone else who might wish to respond: Are you quite certain that those verses describe an actual, literal, historical occurrence?

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What an astounding and hypocritical statement. Entire posts and one entire thread have been removed due to your vile posting habits. You revel in conflict mr.rebel.
    That would be YOU as it has been plain to see.

15. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

You know nothing about me, and yet every one of your responses to me is full of attacks, false charges, name calling, provoking, and lies. You gleefully seize every opportunity to say these things, even when I have not addressed you first. You have absolutely no fruits of the spirit. You'd better examine yourself instead of always trying to confront me and stir up strife. You are the most evil person I've ever encountered on a Christian forum. You constantly lie and bear false witness against me. You'd better repent while God is still giving you a chance.

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The suggesting leaves me wondering...

Laying aside the question of "historical occurance", we observe structure and repitition within the larger picture of context that signifies the text was written with a purpose.

It's not just a story but a structured story.

Surely we don't see the whole picture; we only read what the author wanted us to know...those parts that were important to tell his story... and his story was what God inspired after all.

It leads us back to the Evangelist's first question: "What is your take on this account?"

What was the author trying to tell us?

So what's your take? I'm interested too!

Rob

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Why would you not?

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do Michael Wrenn. I base everything about your character upon what you have posted --even the posts that have been deleted by mods. You are simply vile. You have lied about me on a regular basis and about John Calvin with names too disgusting to repeat.
    That describes you to a T.

Would you have been one of those boys that the she-bears mauled --calling the prophet names?

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would it not be literal?

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

A dog? Excuse me??????????