1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why Did You Initially Come to Jesus?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 29, 2013.

?
  1. The fact that I was lost...

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. The reality of knowing I was a sinner...avoid guilt of sin!

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Knowing my sins kept me from going to heaven...

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. My desire to be reunited with the Father...

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Pressure from family....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Pressure from friends....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pressure from the pastor...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I didn't want to go to hell! It sounded scary!

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  9. I wanted to live forever, and this was the way to achieve that desire!

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  10. I feared death, and saw salvation as a way to avoid permanent death!

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My real answer is not listed:

I sensed the call to follow Jesus and be like Him.

The first time I heard this, I responded. I first heard this message in a sermon in a "coffee house" ministry in a northern suburb of Houston one Saturday evening.

I was familiar with stories of Jesus, but the teaching during my entire childhood in the church didn't make much sense:

- God is planning to send everyone to hell (especially Catholics) unless they become a member of the Baptist church.

- It was very important to go forward at the end of the service, shake the pastor's hand and asked to be baptized

- Baptism really isn't important is since it doesn't do anything - we're not Catholics

- You can't be a member of the church unless you are baptized.

- Being a member of a church doesn't save you from hell - "just because you live in a garage doesn't make you a car"

- God will send me to hell unless I am a member of the church, so baptism is important.

- Repeat all of the above teachings and throw in general condemnation of Catholics, drinking alcohol and dancing.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was something wrong with either of them?

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw myself a wicked sinner and doomed to hell. Afraid to turn out the lights and go to sleep.

Knelt by my bed confessing my sin and worthlessness and calling by faith on Jesus for forgiveness and eternal life.

March 17, 1957. Remember it like yesterday.

(Like Paul, "knowing the terror of the Lord" persuaded me. Only then did the joy of a life of faith, heaven, sin forgiven come into play)

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Very perceptive post. As far as all the fairy tales you listed, they seems to be rampant in Baptist churches. I am going to guess, but the number of people on SBC rolls vs attendance, that 30-35% on those rolls are truly saved. In the final state of glory, want it destroy the above notions when some Catholics are in heaven and tons of Baptists in hell. It kind of puts a twist on the parable of Lazarus and the rich man.

If we had spent the last several decades spending as much time telling others about Jesus as we did dancing, drinking, lotteries, ignoring gluttony and gossip, worrying about the new church building and the color of the carpet, the pews would be a lot fuller.

To answer the op, I did not come to Jesus because of some vague fear of hell, fire, or eternal darkness. I saw the gap between a Holy God and myself, and through Godly sorrow, came to salvation. Does everyone here realize that any response from you was a gift of God in itself?

#24 saturneptune, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The spirit turned on my "light bulb", as I heard of and about Jesus for yeras, but one night, I :knew" that he not just another religious leader, but Son of God, who died for Me, and received Him as Saviour and Lord!