1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do bad things happen to christians?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 4, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I don't understand this.
    There are so many verses in the bible which talk about God protecting us like psalm 91 for example. Then why do bad things also happen to christians?
    It simply cannot be that on the one hand the bible promises these things and then bad things still happen to christians this makes no sense! Imagine you read psalm 91 and you are totally naive and have a child-like faith which the bible encourages and then you take this verse for you and believe that nothing bad will ever happen to you. No matter if the other people around you are hit by bad things you believe that just as psalm 91 says nothing bad will happen to you. But what if it does? What do you do then? Then your faith will be totally shaken and you won't even know what's going on. :(
    And I think that as a consequence of this christians don't even really believe in these promises anymore or they somehow find a way to relativize them because this protects their faith in the case that something might happen to them because otherwise it would be even harder to cope with it. But when the bible promises these things then why do they not come true? The bible has to be right. If the bible is wrong then we all have a problem. I just don't get it.
    Maybe these things only become true when you totally believe in them and all those christians which bad things happen to do not really believe in these promises, maybe this is the explanation? But on the other hand the word of faith christians which are usually into this stuff also become sick.
    If they didn't become sick then this would prove that it works when you only believe in it enough. :confused:

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Jesus only promised hard times in this life. We get pie in the sky by and by.

3. gekko

gekko New Member

this help any?

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But these promises are in the bible! Does this mean they are all no longer valid or they're only there because they sound good and make a good read or what?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know you'd have to read a bit but here's a link to the message that our pastor gave right after 9/11 and we keep it on our website. It's called Where is God When Bad Things Happen?

http://www.nbc.org/WhenBadThingsHappen.html

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 91 should never be interpreted as an unqualified protection for all christians for all times.

The devil tried to make it be that way when he tempted Jesus.

Jesus kept quoting Deuteronomy to flee from the devil and so the devil thought he would quote a little scripture too.

He quoted the passage from Psalm 91 about the angels keeping you from falling and tripping and stumbling. He told Jesus to climb on the roof and jump off and see if the angels really would do so.

Jesus answered from Deuteronomy again and said that we are not to tempt God.

Interpreting Psalm 91, which by the way is traditionally accredited to Moses as a follow-up to Psalm 90 which is directly attributed to Moses, as a "protective clause" in the bible for insurance from harm is very destructive, spiritually.

If the devil interpreted the scripture this way, we should run from this interpretation!!

Some, who give Moses the credit for 91 as follow up for 90, say that this is a general psalm of praise for what God did for the Israelites who were brought out of the bondage of Egypt and a general psalm of God's blessings on his people past, present, and future.

We cannot claim it as literal- in its figurative description of God. If we did, then that would mean that God would have feathers and wings....

....He does not.

We cannot claim it to be universally applicable to every christian in its description of God's protective nature.

The passage is more about the attributes of God, Himself, than about any pie-in-the-sky life that we may so desparately want to have.

#6 Scarlett O., Dec 4, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Isaiah 48:10-11 Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction. For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another.

Isaiah 57:1 The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.

thjplgvp