1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do Baptist's not take the "other" ordinance so seriously?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jcjordan, Nov 12, 2008.

1. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I must admit, I'm new to Southern Baptist life. I've only been a member now for about 10 months. One thing very important to baptist's is that we do the ordinance of baptism correctly. We seem to be very concerned that baptism is by immersion and not sprinkling. In fact, many baptists will even say that those who were baptized by sprinkling, need to be re-baptized the right way. I would like to know why baptist's don't typically take the other ordinance, the Lord's Supper, so seriously. If we are so concerned about doing things exactly how the new testament prescribes, why don't we serve real wine in communion? Grape juice for communion didn't exist until 150 years ago. Also, I think wine is a much better representation of Christ's blood. Also, shouldn't we also always be using unleavened bread?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    WE do.

We use unleavened wine instead of Rev Welch's brew. Just like Acts.
    We use unleavened matzoh instead of wonder bread, pie crust or some wafer. Just like Acts.
    We observe it every time the church meets for worship. Just like Acts.
    We restrict it to church members in good standing. Just like Acts.

We do use little plastic cup thingies for hygiene and throw them away afterwards. Paul would have too if they'd had them in Acts. ;)

(We are Reformed Baptist, akin to the Founders Movement in the SBC)

3. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I figured your church did. However, I think yours is the exception.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wine was used because it was free from yeast, symbolic of impurities. Modern grape juice is pasteurized, free from yeast. Freshly squeezed grape juice contains yeast. As long as pasteurized juice or wine is used, I don't see the problem with either, as they both are symbolic of not containing impurites.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We hold the Lord's Supper to be very important and one of our pastors is clear to speak before the communion is passed out that this is for those who are in the body of Christ and baptized. Each time it is also strictly spoken of having an offense in our lives and it's better to forgo the communion and to confess the sin that is making us "unworthy".

We use grape juice because we have a number of former alcoholics. We no longer need to drink wine for safety-sake and we no longer have a Passover meal. We use grape juice to not allow our brothers and sisters to stumble. Because it does not contain yeast, we are comfortable with this choice.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ?????

Genesis 40:11 ". . . and I took the grapes, and pressed them into Pharaoh's cup, . . ."

Numbers 6:3 "...and shall not drink any juice of grapes..."

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We take the Lord's supper very seriously in our church. However I have known of Baptist churches where it was treated as something that had to be done at certain points in the church year. I think it depends upon the pastor to be honest with you. If a pastor is more interested in numbers than substance then baptisms, which are usually connected with salvations, are a good way for him to keep a count. You can't do that with the Lord's Supper. Sadly I think it is a sign of the bean-counter, easy believism that has crept into far too many of our churches.

8. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

I will say "Yes" to using real wine and unlavened bread. Real wine is discriptive of being "Pure." Unlavened bread also has no other ingredients but flour and water. Flour and water has no other added ingredients. If JESUS said to do it, then we should.

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

The question in the OP is a good one. I think it's true that too many baptists take the LS too lightly. It comes from the teaching that it is "purely symbolic", which even if true, should not be done to the exclusion of the importance of it. But I think baptists would be well served to study the Westminster position on the LS - that while the Lord is not present in the elements, the Lord is actually present in the observance.

10. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suppose: all we have is coconut milk and taro bread; and there are no grapes on Guadalcanal. What shall we do?

Legalism is alive and well on Planet Earth, an adjunct to pagan idolatry--it gets really focussed around the Feast of Saturn: Dec. 25.

Wise men still seek Him.

Happy Holy Days.

Selah,
    Bro. James

#10 Bro. James, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2008
  11. doulous

doulous New Member

Many of us do take the ordinance seriously. Frequency is not the issue (although we observe the table weekly); the purpose of the Supper is. We "fence" the table by warning unbelievers and unrepentant sinners not to partake. We present the Supper as a visual declaration of the gospel. It's a time of personal introspection, repentance and great joy!

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Lord is present in any observance of Him. The LS is no magical voodoo institution, but a symbolic reminder of what Christ has done for us.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Curious...what's the difference between an unbeliever and an unrepentant sinner?

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do.

Real wine.
    Unleavened bread.
    then we wash each other's feet, just like they did when Jesus Christ instituted the ordinance.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

An unbeliever is not a child of the King. An unrepentant sinner would be someone with a sin in his life that he has not confessed. This could be either a believer or unbeliever but in this context, I'd say it would be a believer. I think the statement is based on 1 Corinthians 11:

27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. 32When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The particular form of the elements (whether wine or juice, leavened or unleavened bread) is no reflection on how seriously one takes communion. The point has never been in the particular forms since they don't convey any grace. The point is in the symbolism.

And I don't see any way that wine represents the blood of Christ better than juice does.

So I reject your premise.

The problem I see with taking it seriously is that some people allow anyone to partake rather than guarding the table.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought the "unworthy manner" in 1 Corinthians was the gluttony and selfishness involved, not having unconfessed sin in their lives.

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Just wondered if anyone knows that the "individual communion cups" were supposedly 'invented' by someone who stated that he was tired of drinking other people's spit? :laugh: :laugh:

I read that once, but unfortunately cannot recall where.

Ed

19. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

Pour a glass of grape juice and leave it sitting out for a week. Also pour a glass of wine and leave it sitting out for a week. Then tell me which one represents our Lord's blood better.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Word's not wine...it's "fruit of the vine".
    How's it supped?...from a "cup".
    Matt. 26:27-29; I Cor. 11:25 ff.

Odd that the particular word "wine" is not used in biblical Communion passages.

#20 Jerome, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2008