1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Do Catholics pretend to be other denominations?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Snoopy, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Snoopy

Snoopy New Member

Forgive me, I am new here, but why do very obvious Catholics like Stan the Man, Matt Black, and Angus Dei state their denominations as Baptist and Methodist on the board?

I have a hard time believing someone about anything who would lie about such an important matter.

2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ummm Snoopy, so you ask them ....for me I joined the Baptist Board when I was attending a Baptist church. I had left the RCC many years earlier...I have since returned to the RCC and altered my profile. I am very fond of the Baptist Board...it hones my apologetics skill and my knowledge of catechiscm and Bible. I also love talking and hearing about folks and their relationship with my Divine Master. I have also been known to defend the Baptist Board on Catholic Boards (shocking but true!:thumbsup: )

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have a hard time understanding why someone would return to the RCC after attending a Bible based church. :confused:

Let's see...God's Word...tradition of man. Yep, tradition of man wins! :tear:

4. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

I can't speak for every one you mentioned, but I assure you that Matt Black is NOT a closet Roman Catholic...and most assuredly neither am I.
    (Matt could explain his own position better than I could, but sadly many probably wouldn't believe him as they are stuck thinking in terms of a strict dichotomy of Protestant vs. Roman Catholic as if these were exclusively the only two options)

PERHAPS others "pretend" to be other denominations--I don't know, and can't speak for them--because of the unfair censorhip RCs receive on this part of the board which is supposed to be for "other denominations"...

5. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe it was because they didn't taste the Truth enough to understand it. I also had such questions.

Many Catholics and Never-Born-Again Protestants are smoking, drinking, swearing, and drinking in the bar with girls, I have noticed. They can continue to enjoy committing sins. Catholics don't condemn smoking and even the priests are smoking and drinking. So it is a kind of easy religiion where one can continue to sin!
    They can keep harmony with many other religions in the world.

Truly Born-Again Protestants are the real problem in the eyes of the worldly people. They are hard-headed, refusing the idol worship, without knowing how to compromise with other relgion.
    However, Almighty God is behind them, the Truly Born-Again Protestants.

6. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well that should be expected from this group, excluding Catholics (becuase it sounds like you are saying all Catholics are unsaved, and I don't agree with that).

However there are plenty of "saved" folks that are doing the same thing, and even more. That's what should concern us!

7. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I' don't think anybody has falsified their denomination. I can see how one can be confused at least about Matt as he does speak up on behalf of the RCC when certain folks go on a RCC bash fest. Maybe instead of going and spreading malicious rumors you should private message them and ask them. You know following the eighth commandment and Matthew 18.

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I for one am glad to have Catholics posting here.

Have you ever tried dialoging with Catholics on an RC message board?? Let me tell you that does not last very long before the Bible starts getting trashed non-stop.

But in a context like the Baptist Board there you don't have the "we are right because we always say we are right" groundswell of opinion in favor of RCC traditions. The arguments they make here have to stand up on their own merit - with arguments that "get challenged" by the entire group rather than "assumed to be true".

As much as it may be disconcerning to meet a Catholic here who used to attend a non-Catholic congregation -- it is a good "wake up" call. A lot of what passes for Bible study and doctrinal instruction in some non-RC congregations is merely "passing time" and tickling ears.

Even in Bible based groups - many people drift in and then back out again without being seriously engaged in exegetically sound Bible study groups. Learning the difference between man-made tradition and solid Bible doctrine is not something that simply "happens" because you attend a non-RC church group my friend.

In Christ,

Bob

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know there are plenty of people who misunderstand that they are born again in the Lord, even though they are not at all.

That's why Jesus said,

Mt 7:
    22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

They thought they are the true believers, but they are not!

10. billwald

billwald New Member

There is no objective test for salvation, election, being born again, whatever you wish to call it.

11. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

amen to that idea

1Jn:2:29: If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that DOETH righteousness is born of him.

12. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I never saw this applying to people who believed they were saved but were not. More towards people who were false prophets/workers.

13. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

same idea with the parable of the ten virgins, "iniquity" means sin... transgression of the law:

Lk:13:25: When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
    Lk:13:27: But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.

The ten virgins represent all who claim to be children of God.

14. stan the man

stan the man New Member

Snoopy, I am not trying to pretend to be another denomination. It is just that I am not currently a member of the RCC. But this Easter I will be welcomed in as a member of the RCC. And at that time I will change my profile.

15. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Nothing in that Scripture that said these were "unsaved" folks. Sorry, but this does not prove your point in the slightest. I know most of Christendom has used this passage and a few others like it (Claudia mentioned the 10 virgins, which doesn't prove your point either) to make people think there is such a thing as a true believer and a false believer or a true convert and a false convert or whatever is that you all wish to call these distinictions, but bottom line is they are unBiblical.

This is a "works" passage and contextually we know that is has absolutely NOTHING to do with eternal (spiritual) salvation, becuase we know from three different places that eternal (spiritual) salvation comes by grace through faith apart from works.

16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

JJ,

But read the very verse right before that:

21: Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

17. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are they going to the Lord, saying Lord and Lord? Because they thought they were accepted by Him and saved. But actually not!~

One more interesting verse
    John 8:30-31 - 8:59

30 As he spake these words, many believed on him.
    31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

Many Jews believed on Him, but Jesus said to them " ye continue in my word"
    Why does Jesus say so to the people who believe on Him ?

37 I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.

41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by

Do you notice that Jews were calling God as their Father? Even though they may not believe on Jesus, but they might have been believing in God truly. But Jesus disapproved it!

How come the people who believed on Jesus try to stone Him?

18. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read this as well:

Luke 13:25-27

and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: 26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. 27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.

Maybe they may have done all things including Eucharist according to the Bible, but they are rejected by Jesus.

19. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Because they did not "believe" in the sense that we do to be saved. Many readily accepted Him as Messiah just so He would rise up and take over the Romans and exalt Israel. When He didn't, and began revealing His true mission to die for sin, their unbelief became clear.

20. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Yes and? This doesn't prove your point. This proves that there will be some that think they are going to enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but will be denied entrance.

It has nothing to do with eternal (spiritual) salvation.