1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do Christians SHOOT the Wounded?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 27, 2015.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.biblehelp.org/wounded.htm

I find it quite interesting when believers decide to take God's Word ( scripture) into their own hands and apply it to another's situation or circumstances and shoot them.

Do you believe that the church is more guilty of shooting their wounded, or do you disagree?

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never been "wounded" so-to-speak but the first church we affiliated with as new converts I volunteered to satisfy a need no one else seemed to want. After about three months I was "dismissed" from that function as a New Member arrived on scene and was billed as a Great Christian and would have a better impact as I was only a novice.

Okay. Yeah, I guess I was "wounded" as you suggest.

...once this New Member sold insurance to every member that would let him in their home he moved on to another church. It took about six months.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More guilty than who?

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a person who went through a divorce many years ago, I was treated with an enormous amount of hostility by persons in the church - although not be staff members, to whom I had been in submission regarding my impossible situation. Those who did not know anything about the circumstances of the situation or all that I had done to resolve the problem piled on with false accusations, malevolent speculation, and discussion of my situation (where various theories about my life were floated). The reason I know this is that all of these things were said to my face and more than one person tried out various theories with me that he readily admitted that they had worked out in a "Bible study" and ran them by me to get my reaction. It was so emotionally wrenching, and my reputation in the congregation was so damaged, I left and did not attend a church for more than a year so I could begin to heal.

That being said, I'm not sure the church is more guilty than other human institutions of "shooting the wounded." It is a leading trait of fallen humanity to find a scapegoat when things don't go well or to gossip about someone when we find that they may have a life that is more fouled up than our own.

Our culture's obsession with celebrities - especially those with messed up lives featured on "reality" television - is a prime example of this. The viewing public tends to get on their moral high-horse and mock, rather than see these persons as folks who desperately need the love of God in their lives.

• Like Like x 2
  5. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Baptist Believer..., we men folks are to be the husband of ONE wife. I see that as ONE wife at a time.
    If, for whatever reason something goes haywire..., go find another ONE. ...course, this will bring out the critics.

I know of a pastor that married 35 years ago. His wife left him because of his Christianity. She professed such at first but then turned away and then turned their home and marriage into a war zone. Divorce!

A few years later this pastor met a woman who had divorced her husband as he was an alcoholic and physically abused her.

They just celebrated their 28th anniversary.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes:)