1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do churches conduct the Lord's Table on Sunday Mornings

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by revmwc, Jun 9, 2011.

1. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Whew.....going to attempt to get this train back on the track.

Our church has the Lord's Supper in the morning and in the evening, but not on a weekly basis. We vary the service so that it is always fresh and we keep it reverant. We also observe it in many different ways.

We've had a reinactment of the original meeting in the Upper Room with the men of the church portraying the 12 disciples and the congregation participating as Christ told them to take and eat and drink the cup.

We've had a service where it was filled with special music especially chosen for the different portions. A prayerful selection when people were asked to examine their hearts, The Blood Will Never Lose it's Power during the cup.

We've used loaves of bread and pieces of unleavened crackers, we've also had unleavened bread like the original disciples would have used, someone found that at a small market here. We do always use grape juice, not wine. (we're teetotalers at our church)

We do practice open communion with an admonishment from the pastor during the examination time about participation is for those who are saved but it's up to each one to decide.

The Lord's Supper should, in my opinion, be a spiritual and special time. It should be a meaningful reminder of what Christ did for one on the cross of Calvary and should never be taken lightly.

2. mandym

mandym New Member

That is quite a claim. Can you back that up with scripture?

That is quite an accusation of their motivation. How do you know this?

It is legalistic to demand anyone attend a set number of services or a particular service.

3. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

We do the Lord's Supper in the morning service, since that is the only time we have a building we can meet at and worship together at a scheduled time. It is always a solemn service and not something that is attached to the end or beginning of regular service. We are open to all who are born again and feel that they can humble themselves before the Lord to partake.

I do not see in the scriptures where Jesus or any of the disciples asked anyone to leave or excluded any followers because they were not "certain people".

This was a remembrance for what our Lord had and will go through for our salvation. It is not part of salvation. All who are saved are welcome to participate with us. We do make it clear that there is not a local church membership requirement, as this remembrance is for all who are saved who happen to be in attendance that day.

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Do this in remembrance of Me Jesus told us, if we held a memorial service as we conduct for those in our family who have pssed is it not a solemn service. Would it not be more honoring to Him as a Memeorial rather than after the entire service is concluded.

I have heard comments that I wanted two of those wfers and they only gave me one, you tell me was that a flipant attitude or not? Then you cut your preaching service worship service short in order to serve the Lord's table, if we did the Lord's Table in Remembrence of Him shouldn't the Whole Service be dedicarted to Remembreance of Him? But you do the announcement and you take up the offering and you do all sorts of normal regular service things instead of A Memorial service.

Didn't say we would require them to make any or all, I said if they truly want to partake they could give up an evening or so every quarter or however often to Remember the Lord. Give up their favorite television show for one hour or less service to remember the Lord and what He accomplished.

5. John Toppass

Site Supporter

But what if your favorite television show is at a different time than others favorite television show?

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

At our church, we observe the Lord's Supper once a quarter, but frequency is up to the individual church. It's usually on Sunday evening. It is not an addition to the evening service, it IS the evening service. There are no preliminary hymns, no offering, no sermon. Only the Lord's Supper.

Oh, the pastor will read appropriate scripture and make a few comments, but not as a sermon; merely to set up the observance.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is the same as us. Oh - and communion put us 20 minutes over our normal time last week so what did we do? Cut down on the fellowship time because we only have the hotel from about 8:30 to noon and we ended communion at 11:35. We'd certainly not cut short the communion time because of running out of time - and we don't cut short the service either. :)

Oh and we now have the children come back into the service after their Sunday School time (which is during the message) so that they can participate with their families if their fathers (or mother if there is no father) feels they are ready for it. Instructions are given at the beginning of the service and before we first started bringing the children back in, we had a teaching time for them to teach them about the Lord's Supper.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know about anyone else but I want my "memorial service" to be a time of joy, laughter and music. I don't want it to be "solemn" at all. Hey, I gained out of the whole thing - I'm with Jesus!! Someday ya'll will see me again - so what's to mourn??

9. John Toppass

Site Supporter

I do not think he meant solemn as in mournful but as in the understanding the seriousness of the meaning implied.

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

You just might not have to give it up

11. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

John and I grew up in the same area and went from elementary through High School and he knows the time I mean.