1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Do Evangelicals Ignore Ron Paul?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't care for Ron Paul. Heard him speak as a libertarian a few times, I didn't care for the libertarian views and what he was pushing at the time. All is well and fair if it does not mess with your life, as a true libertarian.

Also most of his followers are very Jimmy Buffett like, or cult like towards him. Down here among the ones I know who are supports of his most voted for BHO for president. I haven't been able to vote for a Republican sinces the Gipper but I haven't voted for a BHO or a Slick Willie or any other the dems have pushed.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

To get back to OP, RP is a Libertarian. The Libertarian Party application still contains a pledge against initiating violence. This is interpreted as a (Christian) principle of giving one's opponent the first shot.

A Libertarian principle is the right of self-determination for every person and group as long as it doesn't initiate violence against other people.

Violence seems to be strictly interpreted as physical aggression.

Libertarian principles seem to include NOT legislating morality except in the case of physical aggression.

Thus Libertarian principles would have permitted the establishment of a Mormon state in Utah.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a "modern" evangelical conservative - but I an NOT a big government proponent. In fact, I would like to see the Fed size down considerably! The Feds should only do what the Constitution allows - however, since the founders did not realize that liberalism would be so strong, they didn't see a need for specific rights on every issue - such as abortion. Therefore, it is now necessary for the US to pass a pro-life amendment. If I'm not mistaken Ron Paul is against such action.

One big problem is that we will never find anyone we can agree completely, so we must find a candidate that we agree with most of the major issues.

Salty

4. targus

targus New Member

I believe that he thinks that it is an issue to be decided at the State level.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply Put....

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Constitutionally, at the moment that is correct - as the Constitution does not address it directly. But, If I'm not mistaken part of the reasoning for Row vs Wade was the 14th Amendment which states in part
    PHP:
    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and 
    subject to the jurisdiction thereofare citizens of the United 
    States 
    and of the State wherein they reside.
    Since a "fetus" has not yet born, (so their legal theory) the unborn have no rights.

Therefore the only way to guarantee the right to life is to pass a pro-life amendment. Once that is done, it would overrule any state or commonwealth law - per the Constitution.

Salty

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, RD2, I do have to admit that I may have softened - a little - toward Sarah Palin because she has endorsed Rand Paul in his run for U.S. Senate in Kentucky. Not saying I would vote for her at this time, but if she continues moving in a libertarian direction - who knows? As I have said, I will now only vote for candidates with viewpoints in the same vein as Ron Paul's and if Sarah Palin becomes more and more libertarian in her viewpoints...

8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

You just keep saying that CMG and maybe someday the rest of us will learn to ignore the reality that our "foreign policy" has been little more than corporate imperialism wrapped up in the flag since 1898.

As a nation we're already commiting suicide. Remember what James Madison said about continual warfare?

"No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare." James Madison

Ken, it seems today's "new" conservatives resemble the old English conservatives who stood by the King and relied on state power and control.

They've forgotten what American conservatism is all about. Sadly.

They're more into controlling others thoughts and actions than being free. "Republicans" working hard to detroy our republican form of government.

Strange days indeed!

Oh, and I'll say it again. It isn't about Ron Paul, it's about preserving our freedom from tyranny by protecting our republican form of government enshrined in the constitution and DOI. It's not about a man it's about the law. The law that limits government power.

If we keep allowing the government to live above and ignore that law we haven't got any right to expect a different outcome than our founders predicted 200+ years ago.

CMG, If you want to live under a tyranical government just keep voting in favor of the corupt corporate controlled two party system.

#48 poncho, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010