1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do fundamentalists tend to use the KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by wfdfiremedic, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, I believe you and I have a different definition of fundamentalism, which is a topic for a different thread. :)

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes it is :) But I think our definitions are similar. Where we would differ is what contradicts those doctrines. I don't think either of would disagree that mere verbal assent to a set of fundamentals qualifies as fundamentalism, especially if further verbal action negates such an assent.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

If you want to know why so many IFB churches use the KJB only, all you have to do is look at their statements of faith. Here are some examples from several IFB churches.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Why would any church include a statement in their statement of faith that has no scriptual basis such as

#24 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
  5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    C4K, I too "believe God’s Word to be divinely preserved in the Authorized Version, commonly called the King James Bible." After all, God promised to preserve His word, and we have it today, and there is no doubt in my mind that the KJV is the word of God in English, so, I can agree with that statement. The difference is that I also believe God has preserved His word in other English translations. :)

6. wfdfiremedic

wfdfiremedic New Member

Interesting. Thank you for all the replies. One of my first questions to my pastor was, "is this a KJVO church?" He replied no, and stated that he throws any mail that has to do with KJVO teachings in the trash. He stated he was KJVO preferred, but does not uphold to a KJVO position. We utilize KJV in the pulpit and in the pews. I have gone to the office several times to question readings with the CT. However, as I see it, there are no items that would displace traditional doctrines. Yes, some may challenge it, but overall there are no readings that would totally deny a certain doctrine.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Heretic! :tongue3: But then again, so am I, since I agree with you.

Winman, you mentioned IFB churches and the Genesis account of creation. That's another one (though not an explicit Fundamental in the sense of the word) that I've heard quite a few IFB preachers/churches preach contrary to. Forgot that one.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Obviously they disagree with you and do believe there is scriptural support for their position. And I agree. I believe God has promised to preserve his Word. The original autographs do not exist, so copies must be preserved. I, like these others believe his Word was preserved through the Received Text and not the Critical Text.

#28 Winman, Jul 21, 2010
  9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Where would that be?

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

I've never known an IFB pastor who did not believe in a literal six day 24 hour per day creation. There might be some out there, but I've never met one.

11. wfdfiremedic

wfdfiremedic New Member

I will say this: my IFB church believes in the 6 day creation, zero evolution and the absence of global warming.

12. wfdfiremedic

wfdfiremedic New Member

Another question: If one holds to absolutely literal interpretation, should a woman be aloud to speak in the church?

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

You know all the verses I could present, you've seen them dozens of times. You don't agree with mine and others intepretation of these scriptures, but that is a different matter altogether.

But just in case, here are a few examples. I took these examples from another site to save time, but I am in agreement with them.

If God's Word is preserved (which it is), and the original autographs do not exist (which they don't), then God's Word must be preserved in the copies that have been handed down from those original autographs. There are basically two texts that are recognized, the Received Text and the Critical Text. I personally believe the RT is the uncorrupted preserved text. I do not believe the Critical Text is the preserved text. And very many IFB churches believe as I do.

You already knew all of this.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I'm sorry. I don't see the KJT mentioned in any of those. The doctrine of preservation should indeed be a part of the statement of faith. Pining it down to any one translation is opinion, as you admit.

Man's opinion is not doctrine. I would not put my faith in the opinion of men.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, opinion it might be. That doesn't mean it is error.

What scriptures do you have to support a multitude of versions that are very different, many excluding thousands of individual words, scores of verses, and many complete passages?

#35 Winman, Jul 21, 2010
  16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

None, that's why I would never include a statement on translations in a statement of faith. There are no scripture which address translations.

Back to the OP - while many IFB churches would use the KJT, only a tiny segment would include an abiblical backing for it as official church policy.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

It is really not so difficult. If God promised to preserve his words (which he did), then his words are out there somewhere. All the different versions cannot be his preserved word because they are very different. Whether you want to say the RT added words, or the CT omitted words, they are not the same, the CT lacks nearly 3000 words in the original Greek.

If you want to argue that the KJB based on the RT is not the preserved words of God, then you have an argument. But you cannot argue that God's preserved word does not exist. And they must exist in copies as the original autographs disappeared centuries ago.

But you cannot argue that the RT and CT are both the preserved words of God, that is impossible.

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Then again none of the texts upon which the RT is based completely agree with one another so... back to square one.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And here we are again, back to a reliance on and faith in flawed, fallacious, and fallible human reasoning.

I'll stick to what the word of God says when it comes to church doctrines.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

It is not back to square one. We do not know for an absolute fact all of the texts the KJB translators used to translate the KJB. There are approximately 30 different distinct versions of the TR printed over the years according to the Trinitarian Bible Society. We are not absolutely sure which texts the KJB translators used. There is evidence they accepted some texts outside the TR.

This is what I have said from day one, you will never be able to resolve this issue through scholarship. You must simply believe God's promise that he would preserve his exact words to all generations. It is not something you can prove.

Have you ever thought that in Jesus's day that there might have been men who challanged the scriptures? After all, Moses had written 1500 years before. Israel had been invaded and destroyed by enemies, the scriptures had been lost for periods of time...

I am sure there were men in those days who questioned the accuracy of the scriptures.

But Jesus nor any of the apostles ever doubted that the scriptures they had were the accurate and preserved word of God.

We are supposed to live by faith, not scholarship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.