1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do infants die?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus was talking about children. However, what does he mean? Should we be children or what was he specifically talking about?
    It' interesting to note that the context of the discussion is who is to be great in God's kingdom. And Jesus points to a child and says we must humble ourselves. So Jesus is speaking about a characteristic of a child or Characteristics. Accepting, Humble, easily befriended and such. There is no indicator here that Children automatically go to heaven but they have certain attributes that christians must also possess.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You pelagian! :D

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The Bible says that the plowing of the wicked is sin. Look it up.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Everyone is born with a sin nature and therefore destined for hell. It is only by the grace of God that anyone is saved. For those who are able to have faith (that is, over a certain age to understand), they are saved by grace through faith. For infants, who cannot have faith, I believe that they are saved by grace. The fact remains that infants still need to be saved.

That is just my view - it is not possible to support it biblically just as it is not possible to support a contrary view biblically, imo. God does not reveal these issues to us.

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truthfully God does not reveal this issue to us but, He did reveal that He is Just and righteous. There is no justice or righteousness in sending someone to hell being unable to understand his options with good and evil.
    I agree grace covers it.
    MB

6. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

Marcia, I agree that it is only by the grace of God that anyone is saved. However, I believe that a baby is no different than I in the sense that like an infant, I 'm unable to produce saving faith. I must have faith granted to me and I believe it is the same way for infants. In my unregenerate state, like an infant, I had no capability to save my self by exercising faith. I believe infants (either some or all) get to heaven the exact same way I do. What I think is unclear is whether all infants are granted faith or if only some are. As a father who has lost three infants before birth, my hope rests in God and who He is. Although I do have great hope that those babies are in heaven, my ultimate hope is in my God whom does all things right. Whatever He has decided is right.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not knowing God's plan/choices for unborn babies or little children, it is hard to say hard-and-fast what the fate of any baby might be.

But we have to be careful we don't let "emotions" trump "truth". Marcia and JC are on the money with salvation being an act of GOD not of man. So if GOD desires xyz babies to go to heaven, and abc babies to go to hell, it is 100% HIS call.

Now MY emotions would be "UNFAIR". But being a soldier and dying for your country doesn't get you to heaven. Nor does being a baby and having a doctor kill you in utero. God is not "fair"; He is JUST. And RIGHT in all He does.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a hard pill to swallow, yet I must concur.

I also must trust what someone just posted on another thread:

...shall not the Judge of all the earth do right? Gen 18:25; Because I know that He does right; I may not understand it, but He does right always.

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Children automatically trust adults. Which is why they have to be taught not to trust strangers. They see no clue of danger comming from a smiling face. They submit quickly because they don't understand aggression. They forgive easily and Love easily all because they haven't a clue of the darker sides of things. They are innocent. Ignorant of evil.
    MB

10. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We may not understand it, but God may take them.
    Because maybe He fears that someone may try to hurt them.
    As God wants to protect all children.:saint:

11. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not sure I equate the first part of your post with the last post. Certainly, children can disobey and do bad things. I think kids (dependent on age) have an idea of evil but for them its more simple than adults. Anyway its the Characteristic Jesus wants us to have. Its not a statement of where children go. I agree with the poster that says God makes the decision and thats good enough for me.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Another element to this discussion. I don't think the fact Adam and Eve knew they were naked upon dying spiritually was added as a side note. They knew no shame prior to that point. My son will be 4 in October, and has no problem starting to undress in public after swimming. There is no shame of being naked since he is not spiritually dead. Quite interesting...

13. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

So shameless adults are not spiritually dead?

Clearly not. Therefore awareness is subsequent to reality.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

One can claim to not be shamed, but it is flawed reality.

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

One can claim that 4 year olds are spiritually alive as well, but that is not reality.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

According to your soteriology, you are correct. According to Scripture, you are not.

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Web, show me in scripture where anyone of any age after Adam is spiritually alive before regeneration?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Romans 7 is the best. "apart from the law sin lies dead,....sin sprang to life and I died"

19. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

You're confounding Paul's statement of awareness with the actual chronological order of reality.

Read Romans 1 & 2 -- it appears all have died, with or without the law.

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

web, do you believe those in countries where they have never heard the law of God will still go to hell if they die never hearing the law or the gospel?