1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

why do ministers call themselves, "Reverend?"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ray Marshall, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And if they 'find the man God appointed,' shall they appoint him? Or shall he ramrod his way into the church, unknown by anyone there, and grab the pulpit and start preaching weekly?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

How is he to become the pastor of a church if the church has no say in appointing him. Does he just take over and the entire church is to assume he is the right man, no testing, no discussion, no prayer, just hand over the paycheck I'm here to stay.
    Sorry, this isn't correct.

3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

To my evangelical mind the titling becomes truly ludicrous when we get into the variations on "Reverend". Right Rev, Most Rev, Very Rev. I recently read of a memorial service being held for "The Very Rev. Professor ..." We do love titles!

FWIW, in the black church tradition a person who is licensed but not ordained is titled, "Minister so-and-so".

When I was a fulltime pastor, I tried to get people to call me "Pastor Smith" if they would not just use my first name. But many just could not get out of the "Reverend" habit. Now, where I am interim pastor, I seem to get the best of both worlds, "Pastor Joe". Whatever. You know the old saying, "Call me whatever you wish, but by all means call me for dinner."

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The church has no business appointing anyone. It is their job to recognize who God has called.

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

i get called "Bro. Bobby" by a lot of people or "preacher" most of the time...but i also tell people that i'm not old enough or smart enough for a title. I understand the respect thing, and if someone feels more comfortable doing that, i'm good with that.
    About the only exception is with youth and children because i want my own children to see the importance of respectime their elders or people in certain positions.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

So what if they recognize who God has called if they can not appoint him to the job. They may well recognize, but they aren't allowed to apoint him, to hire him. How then does he actually become their pastor. Does he just kick in the door, say God has called me here, this is now my church, start the pay checks. And no member knows who he is, nothing about him. Because they aren't allowed.
    This sounds irresponsible on both part, the church and the preacher.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Them you're saying this guy that "God has called" should determine the church he has been 'called to' and show up the first time and start preaching. If there is already a pastor there-- who rather obviously is not the one God called, since the new guy knows God called him instead-- it's tough; maybe tough enough for a fist-fight over who gets to preach. The church-- the assembly-- of course "has no business appointing anyone," so it just looks on, and the winner will be recognized as the one God called... until a new one wins that title.

This is loony. But it's a conceivable result of what your proppose. A church does seek a pastor, and most likely considers several candidates, and offers the job to one. If a church does not think they are to use their own discernment, but accepts whoever shouts "GOD CALLED ME HERE!" louder than anyone else, may have been sold Samuel's bones to toss by some TV evangelist.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You have clearly and knowingly put words in my mouth.

9. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

rbell, I finally got you on one of your post.
    I see that you would rather be called some other title than reverend, so I won't tp give you respect. Be a good servant of the LORD JESUS CHRIST.

10. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

Choosing a pastor is through the sufferage of the membership of that certain church.
    They should pray over the matter and guidance from our Heavenly Father.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, there are actually 8 'current' BB 'active' members who use some form of the title "rev" or "Rev" in their BB 'handle' (as well as one who uses "Saint", which one should be a "paid apologist" for a particular school, according to his or her posts).

Some churches in my area generally identify their pastor by calling him "Reverend" or "The Reverend," although I have yet to meet a large number of individuals who desire to self-identify with this title, generally speaking.

I actually do kind of enjoy it (with an inward hidden smirk), when the occasional individual actually actively 'desires' or even asks to be identified as "Rev. 'John Doe'" or, even better, "The Reverend Dr. 'John Doe'", for I figure he or she knows more about themselves than do I, and since I especially like the DARBY rendering of Ps. 111:9, here -
    I just figure they are merely publicly saying, what some of us may well already know - that they are "Terrible 'John Doe'", or "The Terrible Dr. 'John Doe'", and who am I to contradict any such self-assessment?!? :D :laugh:

Occasionally, as our Church Moderator, I have some reason to identify our own pastor as Bro. _____, "Dr. ____ ______," or "Rev. _____ ______," and do so, when appropriate, with no ulterior or hidden motives, in any manner. As he and I have been personal friends for more than 40 years since our high school days together, I normally address him as merely _____. He is the first and only pastor I have ever had, aside from my College BSU Pastor (of also 40+ years ago), BB member Joseph M. Smith, who went by and I called "Joe" in those days, that I addressed by first name only, for a usual practice.

Ed

#71 EdSutton, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's my position. But someone here, as you probably read, thinks a church has no such "business" considering candidates and offering the job.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Once again you knowingly put words in my mouth

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Really, then plase do explain. Becasue thats what I saw you say also.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

And, until they reach a consensus...black smoke is seen.

But when you see white smoke...

...oh wait...nevermind...that's for the pope. I get us confused.

:D ........or for those of you with no sense of humor...... :eek:

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

While I believe I know what you are intending, I'm not sure I completely agree with this, as worded. 'Someone' or 'some group' has to be the one(s) who 'appoint' the 'appointees.'
    Ed

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Sorry, I had not come to your post before I posted about the same thing. :tear:

Ed

18. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just a thought. The bible doesn't say that we should title anyone Mr. or Mrs. either. Though honorifics are common place among all cultures and peoples we find a need for distinction. Jesus was called Raboni - Rabbi - teacher as specific honor granted for teachers who traveled throught Judea teaching torah. Reverend, Doctor, and other are just titles to show function in society. In our culture there is no one bowing down and practically worshiping those who hold those titles.

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Both "standing up" (Lk. 4:16; Ac. 1:16; 4:13) and "sitting down" (Lk. 5:3; Jn. 8:2; Ac. 13:14; 15:13) are appropriate Biblical positions to be in, in which to "take it". :laugh: :D [​IMG][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]

Ed
    [/FONT]

#79 EdSutton, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  20. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't recall which forum it was, but didn't I just the other day see a thread, maybe a poll, about children in church and what they call adults, and many thought it more right and proper if they called people mr. mrs. As you say theres nothing in the bible about this, it's only titles of honor and authority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.