1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why do Mormons and Baptists deny the need for historical evidence?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Wittenberger, Aug 9, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Your explanation above is irrational! There were no circumcision prior to Abraham and it was merely through faith in the gospel that one received remission of sins - Acts 10:43. There was no baptism prior to John.

You have one gospel of remission of sins for one set of people that does not fit for another set of people and the only reason you have such a dichotomy is to fit the unbiblical doctrine of infant baptism. Dying infants are not in any danger of hell as they have nothing to stand before the Lord to be tried for by the principle of "according to their works."

2. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Lutherans do NOT believe that baptism is ABSOLUTELY necessary for salvation. Salvation can occur in an adult just by hearing/reading the Gospel and believing and repenting or it can occur at the time of baptism. Doesn't seem logical? Lutherans believe we should accept what God says literally and with the faith of little children. God says that salvation comes through the power of his Word, it can happen at baptism or without baptism. It is always God who saves, by his Almighty, all powerful Word.

FYI: We believe that the thief on the cross was still under the Old Covenant. Christ had not risen yet. However, even if he had been in the New Covenant, we believe that he would have still been saved without baptism for the reasons stated above. It is God's Word that saves, not the waters of baptism or anything else.

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Here is part of a post I made previously; this is a good time to repeat it:

The Catholic Encyclopedia admits that infant baptism and other practices are simply based upon tradition:

"The designation of unwritten Divine traditions was not always given all the clearness desirable especially in early times; however Catholic controversialists soon proved to the Protestants that to be logical and consistent they must admit unwritten traditions as revealed. Otherwise by what right did they rest on Sunday and not on Saturday? How could they regard infant baptism as valid, or baptism by infusion? How could they permit the taking of an oath, since Christ had commanded that we swear not at all? The Quakers were more logical in refusing all oaths, the Anabaptists in re-baptizing adults, the Sabbatarians in resting on Saturday. (Bainvel J. Transcribed by Tomas Hancil. Tradition and Living Magisterium. The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume XV. Published 1912. New York: Robert Appleton Company. Nihil Obstat, October 1, 1912. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York)."

Twentieth century archaeologist and Catholic priest of the Franciscan Order, Bellarmino Bagatti correctly concluded that Judeo-Christians did not baptize infants, “following the example of the Lord” (Bagatti, From The church from the circumcision: history and archaeology of the Judaeo-Christians). Bagatti also found that the Apostle Peter was buried in the necropolis under the modern Dominus Flevit Church, in Jerusalem, at a similar time as the Pope claimed to have found evidence for Saint Peter's burial under the Vatican. Of course, this was embarrassing for the RCC, so they tried to keep it quiet. But that's another subject; back to the one at hand.

It is quite clear that it is infant baptism that was invented for two reasons: due to an erroneous view of original sin and how it affects infants, and out of superstition.

So, repent Lutheran brother, and return to the truth of the New Testament and the teaching and practice of the apostles. You have swallowed a lie.

Oh, btw, it was "tradition" to murder others in the name of Jesus for over a millenium, and your Lutheran spiritual ancestors continued that tradition with zeal, in spite of what Jesus said and taught in the NT. It is not a coincidence that the state-church murderers were also infant baptizers -- two "traditions of men" diametrically opposed to the teachings of Jesus and the apostles in the New Testament.

4. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Your position and statements are very logical and plausible. The problem is that no one believed this interpretation for at least 1,000 years after our Savior's death. That is the point!

You are a Christian, not a cultist like the Mormons and JW's. But you believe your interpretation is correct simply because it seems so obviously correct to you. If it were so obvious, there wouldn't be hundreds of denominations claiming the exact same thing!

I know your next statement will be that you know that you are right because the Holy Spirit tells you that you are right. That proves nothing! The Mormons say the EXACT SAME THING!

http://dwhamby1.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/do-mormons-have-any-evidence-of-their-claims/

5. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is only ONE COVENANT of redemption and it is the "everlasting covenant" (Heb. 13:20). You are confusing the New Testament ADMINISTRATION of that covenant with the OLd Testament administration. The old covenant NEVER SAVED ANYONE at ANYTIME and NEVER WILL.

There has only been ONE GOSPEL since Genesis 3:15 and that is the same gospel Abraham trusted in (Gal. 3:6-8) and any other gospel is accursed (Gal. 1:6-8). That gospel has never depended upon external rites but only on faith in Christ - Acts 10:43.

There has never been any other way to heaven but "ONE" way - Mt. 7:14

There has never been given any other name under heaven whereby men must believe to be saved but the name of Christ - Acts 4:12; 10:43

There has never been any other Savior but Christ and no other way to come to the Father - Jn. 14:6

There has never been any other basis for salvation but by grace - Rom. 11:6

There has never been any rite provided for literal infant salvation because dying infants are not in danger of judgement because the basis of judgement is "according to thy works."

There has never been any other covenant of redemption but the everlasting covenant (Heb. 13:20) and all who were saved from Genesis 3:15 to cross were saved under that same covenant by faith - Rom. 3:24-26

6. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Luther believed that the one, catholic, apostolic church was a spiritual body of all believers. It was not a legal, or structural entity as claimed by Rome.

Luther did not accept the authority of the Pope or of bishops. He believed that they were man made entities.

In his opinion a true Christian church was one that preached the Gospel and taught the sacraments or mysteries correctly (Baptism and the Lord's Supper). Anything beyond that is the tradition of men (liturgy, etc.). Traditions to Lutherans are acceptable as long as they are not taught as mandatory. For instance, we do not condemn Baptists for not having liturgical worship services. If it is not commanded by God, Christians have liberty to choose.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

NO, what was presented was an example of a prayer to Mary as evidence for the existence of RCC at that time. That is ridiculous, humorous, classical absurdity at its best.

So the example of one prayer to Mary can be produced in an early Ms. So what!
    Everyone here knows (and it can be easily reproduced) that there are some very Godly prayers (not to Mary) by such early Christians by Polycarp and others during his time.
    The Ryland MS was not Catholic as Polycarp was not Baptist.
    To claim either one is absurd. But to say that the prayers of Polycarp were not "Baptist-like" is also absurd.

8. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

You seem very angry, brother.

We both should be seeking the Truth.

Lutherans never accept traditions over scripture. We don't recognize the Pope. We don't pray to saints or Mary. We don't believe that penance is mandatory. We don't believe in celibacy of the priesthood. We don't believe that only a priest/minister can pronounce absolution.

However, we did not throw the baby out with the bathwater as you Reformed and Anabaptists did.

Christ promised that his church would endure forever. Reform and root out the false teachings, but don't throw everything out.

9. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

I can give you numerous quotes from the Church Fathers about infant baptism but for right now I will start giving those statements that support that in baptism God forgives/washes away sins. Once that is established we can talk about infant baptism and the mode of baptism.

10. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

The Bible is the supreme and FINAL authority, brother.

Your interpretation of the Bible is not!

No one, I repeat no one, believed your interpretation of the doctrines of baptism and the Lord's Supper until approximately 1,000 years after Christ.

THAT is the point, not whether the Bible is the supreme and final authority. The problem is your interpretation that you absolutely cannot see is just your interpretation.

11. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Unfortunately for you my line of reasoning is very sound. Jesus said he would "build his church" and that "the gates of hell" could not stand against it. Either this is true or not. Since we both agree that what Jesus says in scripture is true we accept that Jesus intended his church to last through the ages despite attacks againt it. Now that being the case if baptist were the infant church then not only would it have NT works revealing their existance but other writings, commentaries on scripture, discussions about baptist distinctives, and baptist systematic approaches to their beliefs. You would have pastors writing to their flock who were being mislead by early heresies and the rest. Since Baptist claim to model themselves after the infant church and currently they are prolific in books, commentary, discussions against percieved heresies, etc...we can safely assume this quality existed then and would have existed in every century. In short there would be evidence to support their existance. However, when one looks at archeological finds, MSS text discovered, ancient art work, etc... None of it points to early baptist in the early church. There are no fragments with baptist distinctives listed on it. No appeals to their systmatic theology. Nothing. There is a void of evidence for the existance of baptist in the early centuries. When one does look at the volumeous evidence of early christianity one sees all of these very items supporting a Catholic/Orthodox theology. In fact it isn't until the reformation or a short time just proceeding it does one find evidence for the beginings of baptist theology 1400 years after Christ! Therefore since this is the case the likelyhood of early church being baptist is nil. Whereas all of these things can be found to support the Catholic/Orthodox from the very begining.

First of all you've missed named the study its Mariology. And if you mean Mary Idolatry you are once again mistaken. Mary is not worshiped as God is worshipped. That asside. Let us assume for a moment you are correct and Marian prayers are heresy it is strange that we find a documented heresy in the third century of the Church yet we cannot find one baptist Fragment. One (a baptist that is) must conclude from this either the Church was defeated by Satan for 1400 years until the spirit moved men once again towards the truth making of Jesus a liar, or that all early christians were heretics in which case no one should be Christian.

The fact is there is evidence Marian prayers were practiced. That can not be disputed. However, there is no evidence of practicing baptist holding to their distinctives in opposition to these heresies. Its like there is a void of all things baptist in the early church. As to Marian Prayers being Pagan. No Pagan documents are shown that Pagans prayed to Mary they prayed to their female deities not to Mary.

And such prayers are still practiced from their ancient form to this very day. You can go to a Catholic Church or an Orthodox church read a prayer and find early documents showing this same prayer in the early centuries of the Church.

#91 Thinkingstuff, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
  12. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

God saves by the power of His Word, always!

Christ forgave the thief due to his faith, and then promised him eternal life. Salvation is ALWAYS received by faith.

God can save at the time of baptism or not. It isn't the act of baptism that saves. It isn't your decision to believe that saves. It is always the power of God's Word that saves.

Lutherans believe that God can and does save/regenerate/forgive sins at the time of baptism because the simple, literal reading of the Bible says so. However, he is not limited to saving/regenerating only in the one situation.

He can also save by the power of His Word when a nonbeliever, such as the thief on the cross, hears the Gospel and believes.

Lutherans believe in the same manner, if a nonbeliever is driving his car, listening to a Lutheran pastor or a Baptist pastor preaching the Gospel that salvation is a free gift received by faith, and if that driver believes in Christ and repents, he is IMMEDIATELY saved. He is a Christian the millisecond that he believes.

If he dies two minutes later in a car crash, like the thief on the cross, without baptism, he will still go to heaven.

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I get angry -- when some Baptists on here say that I don't have Baptist principles, and then when you come on here and say that my beliefs have no evidence and support, and you equate what I believe with Mormonism.

Well, if I didn't base my beliefs on the NT and instead based them on man-made tradition, they indeed wouldn't have any support or evidence. I believe in the primacy of scripture; if writings and traditions of men contradict the teachings of Jesus as found in the NT, I'll go with Jesus every time.

Oh, and I am definitely NOT Reformed. I am Anabaptist/Baptist and Celtic. I do not follow the Magisterial Reformers - the stepchildren of Rome.

14. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

As I have said before, your denial of the Doctrine of Original Sin is not held by most Baptists.

Most non-calvinist BaptistS do believe that all mankind is born as sinners, because we inherit the disease of sin from our father Adam. This is original sin. These Baptists believe that God turns a blind eye to this original sin and lets the infant into heaven anyway.

You deny that baptism existed before John. That is untrue. Volumes of rabbinical records demonstrate that the Jews baptizied all Gentile converts coming into the faith of Abraham, Judisim, during the time of Christ.

Your denial of the doctrine of original sin is outside of orthodox Christianity and outside of Baptist theology, brother. This is another example of how Reformed Christians, including Baptists, feel that they can make up their own interpretation of Scriptures according to their own personal, inward guidance by the Holy Spirit.

What a mess of Christianity this false belief has made!

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The Didache is evidence of the NT teaching and practice of baptism -- and it doesn't support your view or the "Catholic" view.

16. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

As a Lutheran, I am not a believer in praying to any saint, including Mary, although we deeply respect her.

You are barking up the wrong tree, brother.

17. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

Thanks for clarifying. You have given me some food for thought. I would not say I am convinced, but I try not to be close minded to differing views. If anything, you make "search the Scriptures" for my reasoning. Oh yes, and the by the way, you addressed me as brother in a previous post. I am a sister in Christ:laugh:

18. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

The Didache says nothing on the meaning of baptism, only the mode or method of baptism.

Immersion was the preferred method, but pouring was an acceptable alternative.

To be 100% true to the instructions of the Didache, Baptists would have to baptize in cold, living water such as a river or an ocean.

Heated, indoor, baptismal tanks are an acceptable alternative according to the Didache, as is pouring, but it is not the preferred method. So to be as strict as Baptist seem to want to be over form..tear out those heated baptismal tanks and start heading down to the local river!

I personally think all churches should return to immersing all converts just as the Greek Orthodox, regardlless if you are 90 years old or 9 days old!

19. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

I am going to begin posting the comments of early Church Fathers. The first is Justin the Martyr. He was born about one hundred years after the Apostle John died. Could the entire Church built by Jesus Christ, the Church that Christ said the gates of hell could not prevail against, really have become completely apostate within just 100 to 150 years after Christ??

“This washing of repentance and knowledge of God has been ordained on account of the transgression of God’s people, as Isaiah cries. Accordingly, we have believed and testify that the very baptism which he announced is alone able to purify those who have repented. And this is the water of life. For what is the use of that baptism which cleanses only the flesh and body? Baptize the soul from wrath and from covetousness, from envy, and from hatred.” St Justin Martyr (circa 160)

“We who have approached God through His Son have received, not carnal, but spiritual circumcision, which Enoch and those like him observed. And we have received it through baptism by God’s mercy, since we were sinners.” Justin Martyr (circa 160)

“But there is no other way than this: to become acquainted with this Christ; to be washed in the fountain spoken of by Isaiah for the remission of sins.” St Justin Martyr (circa 160)

“Christ has redeemed us by being crucified on the tree and by purifying us with water.” St Justin Martyr (circa 160)

20. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

My wife is ordering me off the computer, gentlemen.

I will continue this discussion with you tomorrow.

Your brother in Christ,

Wittenberger