1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Do People Have Abortions?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Sep 6, 2008.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

One of these is a risk to the mother's health. This is a triage situation. You either kill the mother or you kill the child. I suppose your choice is to kill the mother. Why?

2. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Pro-Life means Pro-Life. It includes more than being anti-abortion. Human beings are killed in wars and through capital punishment.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

I will agree with you on this one BB. If the mother's life is at risk then her life should be counted at least equal to the baby's. Of course if the mother dies the child usually does too to the option of saving the baby over the mother is almost never there.

That is the one time I would allow abortion, to save the life of the mother.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

But then you get back to the purpose. As far as war goes, I agree with you, innocents always die no matter what steps armies take to minimize collateral damage. Of course some armies, like the union army in the civil war, actually seek to increase collateral damage in order to break their enemies will to fight.

But we hope that wars are fought for a purpose. I know you probably don't agree with that. But to liberate oppressed people, to honor our word to our allies. These are historically the reasons the United States has gone to war. Other nations may go to war to increase their empires, but we never have. I know some on this board will disagree with me on that. But the point is that war, terrible as it is, has a purpose greater then those men and women killed. That is the biggest reason we have to stay in Iraq and see this victory through. To honor those men and women, civilian and military that have died.

As far as capital punishment, I see no comparison at all. Here the death is a direct result of a crime committed. Oh I know some may be innocent. But they were all convicted by our legal system which goes to great length to ensure this does not happen. Even in the case of an incorrect conviction there was still a crime committed by someone.

I can never understand the liberal logic that says it is ok to kill the innocent through abortion but not to kill the guilty through capital punishment.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Why choose one over the other?

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Poncho!

Actually, I agree with your your words "to wrap" your mind around it, and while the decision may be more emotionally and spiritually difficult for the female carrying the fetus, than it is for the male, it is still a SELFISH decision. Life is precious, and it should be revered, IMHO of course!

Pastor Paul:tear:

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Because you have to make a choice. Making no choice is making a choice.

8. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

People have abortions because they are not putting God's will first.

I think that when the angel Gabriel told Zacharias about the coming birth of John in Luke 1: 15

Luke 1:15. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

Let us not forget verse 41

Luke 1:41. And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

and then there is Psalm 139:13

Psalm 139:13. For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

WOW straight from the Word of God!!
    Who can deny or even argue these Holy Words?

It sure is hard to believe that anyone could support or support anyone whose party says it is alright to murder children who God acknowledges their existence. I know some are called and even acknowledge that they are unbelievers.

I honestly do not know what to think about those who support this and claim to know my God.

I do cry for the children we have lost to murder and cry for those who are responsible whether by deed or support.

My human self wants to strike out in a rage known to madmen, but my Christian self knows to pray for healing of the minds.

I ask forgiveness of anyone I have offended by any sharpness of my tongue, but I give no apology for the message I try to plea for the protection of the unborn children.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sometimes you just have to. Honestly, there are times when it's not a choice. Such as in the case of an ectopic pregnancy. It's either the death of both or the death of one. In that case, I think that there's no other choice. A woman who has an ectopic pregnancy will most certainly die when her fallopian tube ruptures. The baby will most certainly die no matter what. So it's a case of do you let the mother die along with the baby or to actively end the baby's life to save the mother. Either way, the baby is dead.

Once the baby is a bit older, and closer to the time of viability, then it's trickier. I know of women who had eclampsia - dangerously high blood pressure - when pregnant. A few had to deliver VERY early babies but it was the only chance that both of them would survive. If they didn't deliver the baby, mom would die - and the baby would die with her. By delivering the baby, they give mom a chance - and the baby, depending on gestational age, has a chance too.

But so often today, when it comes to the mother's "health", it's really not. I'd venture to guess the TRUE "mother's health" issue happens less than a fraction of a percent of the time - and the rest are for convenience and not wanting the baby. Since medicine is so advanced, babies can be taken from mom via c-section or vaginal delivery and after about 25 weeks, have a chance to survive. My friend had her son at 25 weeks and he weighed 1lb. 5oz. He celebrated his first birthday in June and he's doing GREAT!! So after 20-something weeks, there's a chance to save babe AND mom. Before that, it's a hard decision. If it's an imminent death for both or one, I think you do need to choose the one, unfortunately. I don't see God condemning that.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word "health" is so loosely defined as to allow any abortion for any reason. For example it includes of the mother becoems emotionally stressed. In other words if she doesn't want it it is considered a health issue.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

I context of this conversation, and this topic in general, pro life means not murdering babies. Context means a lot.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

If Mary had been pregnant with Jesus in modern day, He would have been aborted. She was too young for a baby, it would be inconvenient, especially when your worried about being stoned, she has her whole life ahead of her, she shouldn't have to grow up this early, and of course, there obama's explanation, babies are a punishment and non persons.
    It kind of puts abortion in a new light doesn't it.

13. North Carolina Tentmaker

Well donnA, not exactly.

I doubt if Mary would have aborted Jesus. She had been visited by an angel and all. Joseph of course was worried about what to do, but God sent him a messenger too. Jesus had one thing going for him that most unwanted babies don't, parents. Jesus had a mother in Mary and a step Dad in Joseph that did not view him as inconvenient tissue but as the promised Messiah.

My mother was a pregnant, unmarried, teenager when I was conceived, but she did not kill me (smart move in my opinion). And Sarah Palin's daughter is not killing her baby. The problem is that not all babies have parents that value their life. That is why we need laws restricting abortion, to protect those people who have no voice and no rights under our current law.

Abortion is not a new. In ancient times of course they did not have the medical ability to cut the child out so they carried them to term but them offered them as sacrifices to the pagan gods.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Joseph didn't view Jesus as the messiah anywhere in scripture, we can not know this. Joseph and Mary were not married when she became pregnant, and she could have been stoned, as say scripture. In todays modern times, she would have been a prime candidate for abortion. In todays modern world the Savior would have been aborted.
    Mary did not participate in pagan worship, so she would not have given birth and sacrificed Him. Not to mention, you do not hide a pregnancy by carrying the child full term and sacrificing it. She would still have been stoned.
    So all in all, your post doesn't even come close to address wanything I said, or tried to say so that others would understand, I guess that didn't work.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Mat 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

It doesn't say Messaih, or Christ, or anything that he would understand.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And where is it that you obtain your knowledge of what Joseph understands? He was told it was conceived of the HolyGhost. Then he did as he was told. It is clear he understood perfectly.

Mat 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
    Mat 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

18. North Carolina Tentmaker

I think the verses Revmitchell has given us makes it clear that Joseph was told by the angel that Jesus was the messiah. Now did he believe this in his heart? I don't know, I have no reason to believe he did not.

Even before he knew, when Joseph must have believed Mary had been unfaithful he did not want her to be stoned. Yes he could have had her stoned under the Jewish law, but Matt 1:19 indicates that this was not his wish.

Joseph was an honorable man who no doubt endured many insults and jeers on behalf of his contemporaries who certainly believed that he had either sinned before his marriage or that Mary had and Joseph was raising another man's child. But Joseph knew better.

Unwanted pregnancies have been with us since the fall and throughout history some mothers and fathers have dealt with them honorably and others dishonorably. Outlawing abortion will not make it go away. It will however reduce it. The real answer lies in reaching our children before they become pregnant.

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just about the most depressing thread I have read in a while.

I don't know why someone would choose to have an abortion and frankly I have a hard time even trying to get my mind around the idea. Regardless of the reason, I will always assume that it was a difficult decision and that the women will somehow be left with a lifetime of what if. I don't know this for sure, but there is big part of me that figures abortion leaves behind more then just physical reminders.

It's too bad so many choose to respond with hatred and suspicion rather then love and understanding. It has been my experience that it's easy to speak of things like this in the abstract, removed by distance and a keyboard. It becomes much more difficult when you are face to face. I would hope that there would be a more loving response in that face to face situation then that which has been shown on this thread.

Your righteous indignation is noted and I am sure Francis Schaeffer is looking down from above as pleased as punch, just not so sure Jesus is!

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.beverlylahayeinstitute.o...10589&department=BLI&categoryid=dotcommentary

Abortion is no longer primarily an act of teenage desperation; instead, more and more it is the calculated choice of adults unwilling to accept responsibility for their behavior. Abortion is becoming more “rare” among the nation’s teens, but a larger percentage of women in their mid to late 20s –– women who are supposed to be responsible, mature and informed –– are, to put it bluntly, using abortion as a form of birth control.