1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Do Some Christians Almost "hate" Concept of There being Election by GOD?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, if I am hearing you correctly, I am not a Calvinist because
    (1) of my upbringing. Actually i was saved under the ministry of a Calvinist and when i lived in Philadelphia as a young believer, I went to 10th Pres where Dr. James Montgomery Boice was my pastor.

(2) I am a young convert and just haven't searched it out enough. Actually, I am not a Calvinist because I don't think that is what the Bible teaches AFTER studying it out.

(3) I am not really a Christian, I just profess Christ and my mind is really at enmity against God. Actually, I have been saved through grace by faith in Jesus since April 28, 1968 at 17 years old. I had thought that it was against BB policy to call another's person's salvation into question, but let me assure you like the Holy Spirit assures me that I am saved as certainly as you are.

(4) I am so full of myself that I cannot countenance a God who is all powerful. God knows my heart. He knows I fall short of what He wants me to be. Sometimes - as some can attest here - quite publically. But I believe in the God of the Bible who is all powerful and is the same in the OT as the NT and who will ever be the same.

I think you believe in Calvinism because you believe the Bible teaches it. Can you not let me have the freedom to believe that it is not what the Bible teaches, not because of some spiritual defect, but because after studying the Scripture I don't think it's what the bible teaches. You may be right and when we get to heaven, I will search you out and say you were right. But I don't think you're unspiritual or spiritually immature or unsaved because you disagree with me. I think you just see it differently based on your study of the Scripture.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't this a Baptist Only forum?

3. Osage Bluestem

God's sovereignty is mentioned in scripture numerous times as well as election and predestination. The scriptures are literally saturated in it.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Well said, VERY well said Tom.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it....well I do declare.....:laugh:

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

I have no problem with election whatsoever, I simply understand it differently than Calvinists do.

I believe election is simply that God chose those whom he knows by foreknowledge would believe on Jesus.

Our own Presidental election is no different. Did we know who would be the President Elect? YES! We knew whoever fulfilled the condition of the election and won the Electoral College would be President. Now, unlike God, we could not know beforehand that Obama would win the Electoral College and become the President Elect, nevertheless, we had already chosen who would become President, the person who won the Electoral College.

And we know who will be the next President Elect, the person who wins the Electoral College in the next election.

And that is how I see election. God had chosen beforehand those who fulfilled his condition to election, which is belief in his Son Jesus.

7. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

It makes life rather meaningless, doesn't it. We're not a bunch of robots, going about according to the will of God. God gave us dominion over all the earth. If God controls our every move and thought, we don't have dominion and Genesis is a BIG LIE. I do find it amusing that 100% of those who advocate this POV believe they are part of the "elect."

8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I have no problem with the doctrine of election, it's biblical. It's the Calvinistic concept of election that's the problem. It's not biblical, in my opinion.

God has elected all who will trust Christ to be part of His family and to be conformed to the image of His Son, Jesus Christ.

I heard a good preacher many years ago say, "God voted for me, the devil voted against me; I cast the final vote." If you want to win the "election" vote with God and trust Christ for salvation!

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My embarrassment is now tripled. I went back a reread Tom's post and realized he said he was NOT a Calvinist.

Wow.

I feel really stupid.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert.....Do you truly believe that God casts votes & then puts you & the devil on the same level? Really?!? Tell me that Im missing something, right.

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

EWF,

He was recounting an "illustration" he remembered from a former pastor, an illustration like so many (on both sides) do here BB land. I don't think he was making an emphatic theological assertion.

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Tom,
    I was trying to respond to the original post and put out one mans opinion on what could be happening overall. I probably could add to the list.
    I did not have you in mind specifically.If we met face to face it would be easier to get a handle on things as you also have alluded to.
    Sometimes the keyboard does not allow for as much nuance as a live conversation.
    Tom I am glad you openly and boldly confessed Christ for all of these years.
    I take people at their profession. I treat biblical professors as brethren,unless and until I see or hear warning signs and signs of apostate thought.
    Paul warned of some who profess, but are really enemies of the cross of Christ.
    I take this to mean we are to be on guard for those who are diminishing the work of God.These are real enemies of the cross,and enemies of the people of God. They exist and we all have met and spoken with them.

I believe what is taught as biblical calvinism is the correct teaching of scripture. I think this is no secret here or if we met in person.I openly confess this.I can use the theological terms, or just plain language as when witnessing to the ungodly. It is the consistent teaching of scripture.
    I have read those who oppose it...and find all of their arguments to be anti biblical or inconsistent,looking outside of scripture to philosophy. Let me add to my previous list.

5] some are open cultists,deny the trinity or God's grace.

6] some never understand the biblical language...for example..what I see here on the bb is many who do not understand biblical foreknowledge.

You give them a biblical basis for it....they oppose it.....they re-define it with a false idea...then wonder why they cannot agree with those who use a correct biblical definition. Why they do this is between them and God.

7] There are some who repeat error so much that they think it is truth, no matter if the apostles themself would come and explain it to them.
    Like those who repeat 2 pet3:9 out of context and claim God cannot save who he purposes to.He wants to,but cannot.
    8] Among those chosen by God there are some who cannot grasp some of the teaching just purely from a intellectual basis.

9]Some are too proud to come humbly to the word so God witholds truth from them.

Tom scripture is correct, Yet we are flawed.We can try to help each other come to truth.Some never will however.
    God has believers at different levels of maturity.It is one thing to question or be unsure of a teaching....but to actively be found opposing scripture as brother osage posted is scary.

#32 Iconoclast, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2011
  13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If you don't get the jest of my posting, there is something broken in you that will not give you the ability to understand hyperbole.

I rather think it is your dislike for one who will not buy into the doctrine of Calvinism. It just irks many Calvinists when someone stands up against their ancient belief system and actually disagree with it premise.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's heretical. And for saying such things he certainly was not a "good" preacher.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhh.....that what that was Hyperbole. LOL! Well then, youd be wrong if you think I dislike you because you dont get Orthodox Theology. Personally I could care less. It's the baiting that I dislike. However I'm getting used to it which is danderious for me not you.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon, dont you get Hyperbole? ROFL.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats why I asked Bro. If he was serious well then that would be pretty weird. Thank the Lord our brother isnt in the Twilight Zone. My apologies Sir.:thumbs:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pardon my question Brother Iconoclast, but how long have you been a Reformed Believer & before that you did say you were RC so were you just as resolute in your Catholic studies as you are now?

19. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be... you're a baptist believer... you can't be stupid.:thumbs:

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe we should arrange a debate between you and Sproul since you so easily "refuted several of the vital assertions" in his books. Share your insights with us.