1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why do some NT passages .....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Dec 12, 2013.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Always?" Uh, no. There are 3 direct and 3 indirect references to the Holy Spirit in the KJV.

2. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will have to take that up with God. He is the One who inspired the word "pneuma" as a neuter noun, and the pronoun referring to Him is also neuter. "αυτο το πνευμα συμμαρτυρει"

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The two words were pretty much interchangeable in late Middle and early Modern English. That can be seen by looking at earlier English versions such as Tyndale, Bishops, and Geneva Bibles, all of which use "Holy Ghost" when referring to the Holy Spirit.

To say "ghost" is a mistake is simply ignorance propelled by arrogance. To think some half-educated poster on the Baptist Board is a better expert in Greek translation than Tyndale, Calvin, Whittingham, and the top language experts in the world who worked on the revision of the Bishops Bible which we now call the KJV is beyond the pale. But that is what the Baptist Board is known for, so I am not surprised.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

From the tone of most of your posts the last few days, I think we can all be grateful for that fact.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you are stating here in regards to why they would be perfectly allowed to translate the Holy spirit as being an "It", but also think that many cults who use just the KJV would leap on that, and also in contex, much better to call Him He not, not an it!

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NONE here posting have or are stating that Ghost is wrong, just that the term would have made sense much more so in KJV times, but not so much now, as understanding of thatterm have different connotations now!

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, actually, someone did:
    :)

9. KJV Preacher

KJV Preacher New Member

My Perspective

One of the things I learned from my mentor Dr. Danny Harvey, was that the Word of God came to us by men of God that were called of God, for the particular purpose of bringing us His perfect words. These men were given “wisdom that is from above” to accomplish the task before them.

Many today (who are not called to give us an English Bible), now wish to criticize both the ability, and the work of those who God called to bring us our English Bible in the KJV. A simple review of the biographies of these men should convince most people. It has been my observation that those who criticize the most, lack the spirit of humility possessed by the men of God who brought us the King James.

That's my perspective. :type:

KJV Preacher

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It often is a translators preference. These passages use πνεύμα which can be translated either "Spirit" or "Ghost."

As I recall, most modern translations opt for "Spirit" as this captures the proper understanding of the role of the third person of the Trinity.

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

The word pneuma in the Greek can't possibly be translated "ghost." It is a horrible conclusion for the KJV translators to have reached, yet tradition kept it "ghost" for 290 years until the ASV first used "spirit" in 1901.