1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why do some Reformed/Calvinist "pastors" advocate unbiblical evangelism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 4, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know what? Anyone whom does not preach on SIN, HOLINESS, REPENTANCE, JUDGMENT, and GRACE in a gospel presentation is not preaching the gospel. With someone at the job or a family member it may take time to get to know them first.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who said that in friendship evangelism, this isn't done?

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

The highlighted part: Wouldn't that be called "developing a friendship"? And if so, any evangelism following, wouldn't that be "friendship evangelism"?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
    --The Lord called us to be witnesses. He didn't command us to use the Way of the Master, nor specify any other method.

Acts 17:2 Paul, as was his custom, went in to them, and for three Sabbath days reasoned with them from the Scriptures,
    3 explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus, whom I proclaim to you, is the Christ." (WEB)
    --This is an example of street preaching. If it was good then, it is good now. People haven't changed, only culture. Everywhere Paul went he employed this method.

Street preaching may not be for everyone, but it surely cannot be condemned either. As it was effectively used in the NT it can be effectively used today. I have taken part in street preaching ministries occasionally in the past. Was there fruit? Yes, there was. It is a difficult ministry. It is a ministry where one must "deny himself," as the Bible says. It is not easy to make yourself the target of the ridicule of others. Thus I believe the real opposition to this method of "I don't agree with it" stems from "pride."

#84 DHK, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because its viewed as a business. A business pastor will always look to entertain the crowd.....you will also see other stuff that I find all to common in churches today, --- anything that promises to appeal to religious consumers. And you yourself have mentioned it before , according to the worlds theology, sin is merely a dysfunction and salvation generally means having better self esteem.

Im looking at a church right now & seeing allot of their operation as more gathering orientated than doctrine & when that worldly stuff begins to replace essential doctrines (like the propitiation of God's wrath) with practical techniques for self improvement......well now, you've just transformed your church from a true scriptural place into a circus......and it can be very profitable, especially for a pastor on the fast track to a successful head count church.

#85 Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it a superficial friendship?

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

I don't see how a "superficial" friendship could be considered a friendship. Its very superficiality would suggest there is no commitment, no time spent together of any consequence, no obligation, no involvement, no investment. That being its nature, how could you then use that "friendship" as a springboard to evangelizing this "friend," who is really no more than an acquaintance, and maybe not eve that.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who me..... well I just casually ask whom ever it is how the Lords working in their lives right now. That elicits many different responses, believe me. But I generally dont even try becoming their buddy. That only happens (for me anyway) by having lots of common interests & spending time together.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN, BROTHER. Go be the mouth; and let the hands be the hands, and the feet be the feet. And rejoice that all three are contributing to the Kingdom.