1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WHY DO WE HATE TO LOVE?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, May 12, 2006.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

If the summary of the ten commandments is LOVE then why does there seem to be such a reluctance to keep them?

If we believe in the grace of God then why on earth would showing His love to others be considered as such a burden to bear?

If those who believe in keeping the 10 commandments are in reality doing the "Love God" and "Love your Neighbor" rule that Jesus Himself laid down, then why are they considered to be "legalists" and "Pharisees" by those who claim we are saved by faith alone and who are continually talking about God's grace?

After all, wasnt it God's love that led Him to extend His unmerited grace to us in the first place? Isnt the Ten Commandment Law just the same thing given by God's people to others as God gave to them in the first place? They love others even if there is no love given back.

I ask because I really just dont understand why there seems to be such a hatred against God's Law by those who claim to believe in God's grace, it truly makes no sense to me at all.

It baffles me.

I would truly like to come to some sort of an understanding with people who always talk about God's grace... because to be honest, they almost seem to hate those who advocate keeping God's Law. It makes no sense.

And so I wish that some of you would explain yourselves.

[ May 12, 2006, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Claudia_T ]

2. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

I am not aware of any of the particulars regarding your concern, I can only say that I only have a problem with people preaching the law if they are preaching it unlawfully. [​IMG] The Law is a tutor to lead us to Christ, as Paul says in Galatians, but the law itself cannot save. As long as people are clear about the distinction between law and gospel, that the law is powerless to save, then preaching the law is a good thing to do, as long as the gospel is also being clearly preached. The only "hatred" I have seen is against those who would denigrate the true and only gospel by preaching another gospel, which is, in reality, not another gospel at all, but is anathema. So anyone that is preaching salvation by law keeping (not saying that you are doing this at all!) MUST be addressed as forcefully as Paul addressed the teachers of false doctrine. Thus it is not a "hatred" of the law that is at the back of the discussion, rather, it is a love for the gospel.

blessings,
    Ken

3. nate

nate New Member

I think because Love is absolutely contrary to our flesh.

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

That was a really good explanation, Ken.

In my case, its that all I hear is grace, grace, grace and I think the law is being left out of the picture and so I talk about the law alot.

I dont think you can be saved by the law... the law cannot save us.

I believe that if we accept God's grace and love Him, the results will be keeping the Law out of love for God.

I dont think that if this doesnt occur in your experience, that you will be saved. I think you are saved by faith alone but that genuine faith will be a working faith.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some folks want grace without repentence. And we cannot have repentence without acknowledging sin. The law reveals our sin and our failure to love God. We go to church to get from God. We should only go to church to give to God. We should give him our adoration, acknowledge His Holiness, His righteousness, His glorious beauty.

We want grace without responsibility. No responsibility to be Holy as God is Holy. No responsibility to live in righteousness. So we avoid the law.

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Well thats definitely hitting the nail on the head.

Some want to have the grace of God without repentence or responsibility.

Amen to that!

Like the story of the Prodigal Son...

"A certain man had two sons; and the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country."

The younger son didnt want the restraint imposed upon him at his father's house, he thought that his liberty was restricted.

He didnt want any obligation to his father but he claims the privilege of a child in sharing his father's inheritance.
    He doesnt care about the future and only wants to go out and live in pleasure.

"Give me the crown but not the cross".

Mt:16:24: Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross , and follow me.

Too often we hear "Jesus paid it all".

But we SHOULD be hearing:
    "Jesus paid it all; all to Him I owe".

There are too many Christians out there singing only half the song.

2Tm:3:
    1: This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
    2: For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
    3: Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
    4: Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5: Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof : from such turn away.

Claudia

[ May 13, 2006, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Claudia_T ]