1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do you Homeschool

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Eladar, May 19, 2005.

?
  1. Keep God in School

9.1%
  2. Better Academics

9.1%
  3. Acceptable Behavior at School is not Acceptable

18.2%
  4. Spend More Time with Kids

63.6%
  5. Other, please explain in post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

And here is my point. Who says homeschoolers do this? Who are you pointing a finger at? Though some may be, most homeschoolers do not shelter their children away from the world. You seem to be under the impression that the only place a young person can share their faith is in a public school. We belong to 4-H. There are homeschoolers, public schoolers, and private schoolers there. There are those who profess to be Christian but don't live like it. There are those who don't profess anything at all and you just have to wonder. There are those who profess nothing but seem to live 'righteous' lives. And then, thankfully, there are those who profess faith and live up to it.

Face it. With your attitude you will never convince a homeschooling parent that they are doing the wrong thing.

Julia

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

My wife and I have decided to homeschool our children (number 2 is on the way, Praise God!) for a few reasons. Number one, I believe that having a godly upbringing is more important than having a 'good' education. I will not entrust the government to teach my child its values for 8 hours a day and then try to combat it with a little bible reading after dinner. I was a product of public school and I know what goes on in there.

I also think that it is entirely possible to far exceed the quality of education provided by most public schools. I read statistics on literacy today, and my jaw drops. I look forward to being able to learn some new subjects myself as my son gets older.

3. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

Oh GB, you have gone where you shouldn't. You have a zero base knowledge of homeschooling. You should have come here to learn instead of to teach. You may be an expert in your field, but you are the learner here. Sit back and listen to those who have successfully homeschooled. There is a science to homeschooling and most of these families have a "doctorate" in this field. Can we teach science with the best of them? You bet we can with the help of curriculums such as those put out by Dr. Jay Wile. Our daughter went through his courses, at home, with no extra help and could have taught her college chemistry class.

Her college professor had your attitude when she entered his chemistry class, but soon changed his mind on homeschooling as did Dr. Wile when he took time off from his nuclear chemistry research to research homeschooling. That's when he decided to enter into curriculum development for homeschoolers.

GB....Sit back, read and learn what you can from these threads.

4. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

Okay gb, now on to the social aspect of homeschooling. I have yet to meet what non-homeschoolers label homeschooled children. Our daughter was flying to Canada, alone, when her seatmate--high school English teacher--found out that she was homeschooled. They had been chatting most of the way across the U.S. before this came up.

She had the gall to ask our daughter if she felt that she was socially inept. Our daughter looked her straight in the eye and said, "Am I not speaking to you? Am I not making sense?"

The gal apologized and realized what an idiot she had made of herself. Pre-conceived ideas about homeschooling are so off base as to be quite humorous to those of us who have been or are currently homeschooling.

I can either laugh at your statements or get furious. I choose to chuckle.

5. violet

violet Guest

[​IMG] :D [​IMG]

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

One of the biggest problems with the government schools and even many private schools is that they believe the purpose of education is simply to teach someone to get a good job.

Name one. That is not the only one in my list of objectives for students. My job is to prepare them in many ways for the working world.

I have met quite a number of homeschooled children with very nice attitudes but not many who are achievers.

What I have seen is much lower than the national average. The national average of those graduating from college is close to 18 percent. What I have seen among those I know who homeschooled their children is less than 5 percent.

Has my experience been very different from what most of you have seen or experienced?

Who of you are leading Bible studies in the community?

Who of you are teaching vocational education? If so what are you teaching?

7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

You sound like a very bitter person who is very ignorant on the issue of homeschooling. I would encourage you to do your research before you start attacking those parents who are obeying God's commands and training their children.

8. violet

violet Guest

May I suggest that this thread be closed as it has taken a downward spiral into debating the merits of hs-ing which is in violation of this board...?

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I asked some simple questions in the last post. “What I have seen is much lower than the national average. The national average of those graduating from college is close to 18 percent. What I have seen among those I know who homeschooled their children is less than 5 percent.”

My challenge to you is to prove me wrong.

I believe I can easily prove you are misled and your theology about education is wrong too. If you believe Prov. 22:6 is a promise then you do not know how to interpret Proverbs. Prov. 22:6, Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

I would much rather look at how Jesus trained his disciples. He took them with him to do ministry. That is what I do with my family. I have trained homeschool parents to do ministry. They have been in the Bible studies I have led.

Sometime You need to read Education in Ancient Israel : Across the Deadening Silence by JAMES CRENSHAW

You missed some OT research. How could parents have educated their children when about only two percent could even read? It was the rabbis who taught the boys from the age of ten. They were not homeschooled. The girls were not educated except at home.

I am not bitter. I just think many are misinfomed, gullible and misled. I also think many have been fed inflammatory information. I have taught home schooled kids vocational education because some parents asked if I would. That does not make me a homeschool advocate. I have also taught adults in my shop as well. If they want to learn I am willing to teach them.

In fact I have quite a number of friends who homeschool their children. I also pastored a church that had quite anumber of families who homeschooled their children. Some of those families looked down on me and told me how bad the public schools are. I know different. The state of CA modelled their curriclum after my program. My students knew I am a Christian. I was able many times to share my faith with students. I hired some during the summer. My daughter works with me each summer.

My sister homeschooled one of her children and the other two went to public school. The one she homeschooled is not nearly as motivated as the other two. In fact she married a non-believer. When I lived in Texas many of my neighbors homeschooled their children. One of the families had two children. One of them asked me to show him how to share his faith. The other child, she joined the Mormon church. It was me who led her out. Another family had a child who was in trouble with the police and at church. Another had 12 children and they expected so little from their children. They expected them to just get through high school. Another had a daughter who when she went to the local university she dropped out after one semester because she had been so sheltered. They regularly talked about Bill Gothard.

I have seen some who are very diligent and some who do a lousy job.

The fact is that my own daughter is in the 99th percentile of children her age in America and shares her faith, reads her Bible daily and is involved in her youth group. Every week there are young teenagers at our house. She has gone door to door with me. She has a lot of boldness. She shares her faith with her friends.

What I look for is the outcome of their job. Homeschool advocates would proclaim that home schooled children do better. That is not always true.

If you believe in homeschooling then prove it by the statistics. (Statistics don’t lie but statisticians often do.)

I would contend that education is not the real issue but most often the example the parents set. If the parents are strong believers so wil the children likely be.

When I hear and see things like the strongest Christians are those who grew up under communism. When I hear that the best students were the Christians in atheistic schools I know it is not the school which is pulling them down. It is Christ who is pulling them up.

I have trained homeschool parents to share their faith. So I know there are those who have not shared their faith and discipled others.

10. Karen

Karen Active Member

Dear violet,
    I'm sure the moderators will do what they feel like, but I hope they don't close this thread.
    The downward spiral is, for example, people calling gb bitter. Not him asking questions.

I applaud his asking some honest questions. First time in months there has been anything interesting on this particular forum to read.
    People that are successfully home-schooling don't need to feel defensive. They should be able to answer questions about it.

And there are, indeed, homeschoolers who do a bad job of it. I could give what I consider are some strong anecdotes.

But yes, gb, on the whole, my experiences have been entirely different from yours. I live in a part of the country in which there are lots of home-schoolers. And I have been acquainted long-term with some families that were doing it twenty years ago. I home-schooled for a short time while we were traveling overseas. Great experience.

Most of the home-schoolers of my acquaintance go to college and do very well. Let's see, one family nearby homeschooled its large family all the way through. One daughter is an attorney for a neighboring state. One has a degree in Economics and works in D.C. Another is doing very well in a tough nursing program in a university which requires a lot of math and science.
    In another family nearby, the son is off to study philosophy and economics at a strong college in TN.

I went to a homeschool reception on Saturday. Filled with homeschoolers and their parents. The only young person I saw there not in college was a public high school graduate. And he is doing very well on a different vocational-ed path.

Is homeschooling for everyone? No. Only for me for a short time.
    Are there some neo-Amish around who only use home-schooling as cheap farm labor? Yes, once in a while I meet them.
    Does every home-schooled child go to college? No.
    Does every public school graduate go to college? No. Is college for everyone? No.
    Are MY kids going to college? YES. :D

Karen

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Yes, this thread WILL be closed and I suggest all those concerned please read our posting rules for this 'HOMESCHOOL FELLOWSHIP FORUM'. I 'bumped' them yesterday but they are well over a year old.

Diane