1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Do You Submit to the People Who Rule You?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Aug 10, 2009.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

We aren't talking about Jesus here. We're talking about Paul.

Creating disturbances every where they went you say? Certainly there were Roman laws against creating disturbances. Doesn't seem likely that a man and his followers who preached "submit to secular government" would then turn around and create a disturbance in defiance of Roman law. Does it? Paul and his followers must of known from prior experience that their preaching would cause disturbances if it's like you say.

"This was true in every area where Paul and the apostles preached."

How do you explain this? Were Paul and his followers hypocrites then?

#21 poncho, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually you did ask me my opinion. I am not trying to pick a fight here. You asked me what I heard and I answered. If I didn't hear you correctly then tell me where I am not understanding you.

Just because you ask a question doesn't mean I have to answer. But let me try.

Paul was in jail because he was preaching the gospel. He was obeying the same principle that the early church followed as stated in Acts 4:18-20. That they could be told not to preach but they were not going to stop preaching the Gospel even if they were arrested or as Paul was arrested and later beheaded. He would have been released if he had not claimed his right as a citizen (Acts 26:32) Paul wasn't being hounded because he was protesting a political decision or who was really in control behind the Nero. He was in jail because he preached the Gospel.

Poncho, I really was trying to find out what your point was in the postings. There wasn't a challenge. Sometimes a question is just a question.

3. Carico

Carico New Member

Paul did nothing wrong by passing along the truth of the gospel. The fact that it created a disturbance was not Paul's fault. We are to obey our earthly masters when it doesn't break God's commandment as Acts 5:29 explains. So put Acts 5:29 "We must obey God rather than men!" together with Romans 13:1-2 and you get; submit to earthly authorities when you are not disobeying God's commandments to do so.

For example, we can't stop abortion by killing abortionists because that's breaking God's commandments (and earthly laws). All we can do is speak up against it and let the chips fall where they may.