1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do you suppose people are Not going to church?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Sherrie, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Karen

Karen Active Member

Hi,
    I'm from an SBC church in OK,too, and we don't talk politics. I personally am a pro-life Democrat.
    However, I think I disagree with you. You seem to be saying that we should not be too critical of overt, very wrong behavior because someone else MAY be secretly doing wrong. I vote based on the information that I have. (I did not vote for Clinton.) :D
    Did I discuss it at church or hear it discussed?
    No.

Karen

2. Tim

Tim New Member

Jill, just to clarify, I don't really like to hear politics at church either. I think it diminishes the importance of church.

But as Karen indicated, we do have to look at politicians (and all leaders) with a discerning eye. Of course, men may have secret sins--but I like to think a little more optimistically than that. If a man has done nothing to betray my trust, then why not trust him (albeit cautiously) until he does? Whatever you think of Bush's politics, he seems forthright, honest, and faithful to his wife. Clinton revealed that he was none of those things. So I don't think it surprising that so many Okie So. Bapt. Christians were glad to have Bush come into office.

To say that everybody sins so we're all the same seems an vast oversimplification. 1 John indicates that a true believer will show evidence of his salvation by a life characterized by righteous living. Yet John still exhorts us to confess our sins and find forgiveness in the Lord. I believe that is a balanced and biblical view.

In Christ,

Tim