1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why Does the RCC have extra Books In their canon?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by DaChaser1, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Certainly by the time of Ignatius (ie: within a decade of the end of the Apostolic Era) the bishop is definitely distinct from the (council of) the presbyters: he refers to the bishop as representing God and the presbyters as the Council of thee Apostles.

2. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

think that we just have to see that the RCC did NOT have extra cannon recognized until around time of The reformation!

that even Jerome and others in RCC prior to that failed to see those books as inpired/canon of the scriptures!

3. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Quite the master of the non-sequitur, aren't we?

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I have read some scholars (non Anglo-Catholic, of course) who believe Ignatius was simply the "senior pastor" of the council of elders. I tend to believe that, considering scripture, and the time it took for monarchical bishops to be established.

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I'm not sure I would agree with that analysis: the language he himself uses would seem to belie that. Of course, he only speaks for the Antiochene and more widely the eastern part of the Church then, not Rome or the western part.

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

It's a good discussion, and I can certainly see how the various denominations all claim scriptural and early church support for their polity.

It is clear that "bishop", "elder", "presbyter", and "pastor" were synonymous terms for one and the same office in the scriptures, but I am not one who denies the validity of historical development, either -- especially since I am the beneficiary of that belief! :) Believing as strongly as I do in local church autonomy, I'm not sure how having bishops fits into that, although in our communion, I/we try. There is a Baptist denomination that has bishops, called the Full Gospel Baptist Fellowship -- a very interesting group.