1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why does this verse use east-west?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 26, 2007.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

And not north-south?
    Is there any reason behind it?

I think I once heard the argument that the distance from north to south is not the same as the distance from east to west, does this make sense? East to west is unlimited but north to south is supposed to not be unlimited. :confused:

Psa 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

2. Dustin

Dustin New Member

It's a poetic term, it has nothing to do with actual distance of north and south or east or west.

He's just saying that God has removed our transgressions very far from us.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

God could have said He removed our sins as far as the northeast is from the southwest. :laugh: Would that be far enough for you XDX?

4. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Although this was not understood by man until much later, since God inspired the Bible, He could have easily used this reference.

Using a globe, we all know that if you trace a line westward (or eastward) along the globe, you will never go so far that you will be going the opposite direction. If I go on a trip around the equator heading west, no matter how long I travel, I will always be heading west.

Now, if you trace a line going north (or south) along a globe, once you reach the north (or south) pole, you will then begin to go south (or north). North and south meet at the north pole and again at the south pole. If I go on a trip around the prime meridian heading north, I can only go as far as the north pole before I begin to head south.

East and west never meet, north and south do. This is a wonderful example of God's greatness.

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Yes, this is what I meant! This is really cool.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a couple of things wrong with depending too much on the globe when considering this passage. Sure there are limits as to how far north, and how south, one may go, and if exceeded, one would change from north to south, or south to north. But this might be better than east to west (or west to east), in that one would eventually return to the point from which one left if going due east or due west, which would mean sin always returns, like a day on the calendar; it never goes away permanently.

So just take this as a poetic expression for complete separation of the sin and the forgiven sinner. After all, in a poetry contest, God could make Shakespeare look like Jethro Bodine, so why shouldn't He be allowed such expression?

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Alcott, I can see what you are saying but I do think there is more in the text than just poetic expression.

The question might be posed, how far west must you travel before you're going east? God does not leave our sins in one place for us to return again to them, as in a paritcular point on the globe, he throws them away. Find the end of "east" and the end of "west" and that is how far away we are removed from our sins.

I would not make a big deal over your position, as long as we agree that the text is saying our sins are as far removed as is possible with God. Infinite.

James