1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why doesn't God speak?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Former Member Amorphous, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Former Member Amorphous

Former Member Amorphous Nephilim Slayer

I'm not looking for the dusty old cliche "he does through his word". What made the prophets and apostles so special that God spoke to them audibly and no one else?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see. You ask a question then say "But you can't give the right answer as I will not accept the right answer."

Sorry, but if you refuse to allow the right answer you will not get a cogent answer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Former Member Amorphous

Assuming that a useless cliche is the right answer.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly is it that you want God to say to you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean like assuming the truth is a useless cliche?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While it may be a cliche, it is also true. For most things, God speaks to us through our study and meditation upon the scriptures.

There are quite a few assumptions wrapped up in this question. Let me straighten this out:

1.) Prophets and apostles were/are not "special" except that God has called them into faithful witness.
    2.) God speaks to people other than prophets and apostles.
    3.) "Audibly" = capable of being heard; loud enough to be heard; actually heard.
    4.) People can "hear" God without God making pressure waves in the atmosphere that are registered in the human ear.
    5.) I have heard testimony of "audible voices" (pressure waves registering in the ear) from credible people, but that actually opens the door to the idea that people could be pranking/deceiving the hearer. I have not knowingly heard an audible voice in those terms.
    6.) I hear the voice of God from time to time in my thoughts - thoughts that are distinct from mine, and much more intelligent and perceptive - when I am seeking God's guidance, but more often when there is a practical or spiritual human need where I am called to intervene. I have learned to discern it more easily over the years and it has never been wrong.
    7.) Exactly once, I heard from God in an extended dream/vision during an extremely difficult time in my life. God made three unlikely promises to me in that time and two were fulfilled within the year (by circumstances outside of my control), and I've watched the progress of the third one taking place over the last 11 years in a situation completely out of my hands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are, apparently, much more patient than I. :D :)

8. Former Member Amorphous

If that's the only way he communicates to us, that only shows that he is distant and refuses to actually speak when he's allegedly "near to everyone of us".

9. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

God never moves. If He's not close to us, then it is we who have moved away from Him.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not a logical conclusion.

Whether or not God speaks directly to individuals does not necessarily tell us anything about whether or not God is near to us or if He wants to be known. Communicating through scripture is still communication.

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard that before, but I don't believe it.

1.) Who claims that God is inactive (never moves)?
    2.) We are notoriously poor at determining our "nearness" to God. When things are crashing down in our lives, it is too easy to assume that God is not near when God may be the One Who is sustaining us through the destruction.
    3.) There is nowhere where we can go that is away from God.
    4.) God gives us the illusion of distance so that we are not overwhelmed by His presence. If God were not partially veiled from us, we would be overwhelmed.

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've had this discussion many times with teenagers and college-aged folks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I was merely relating to fact that God never wishes to be far from us in a relationship sense. Obviously, God is everywhere. But given the fact that He wants a personal relationship with us, He will not distance himself from us; hence "never moves". And so if we don't feel close to God, it's not because of Him. It's because of us.

In times of our most dire need, sometimes the only person we can look to is God. He'll be there. It's very much like those in the old testament who died because they simply did not look upon the bronze serpent. It was always there.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of a sermon illustration.

Moses was hiding from the storm in the cleft of the rock.

He was frightened and God reminded him that He was the cleft and the Rock.

Moses said, "But I am still afraid of the storm."

And God said, "Don't be afraid Moses. I am the Storm!"

As one who has weathered the storms of life that simple illustration gives me great heart and renews my confidence in God's word "I will in no way leave you, neither will I in any way forsake you." Hebrews 13:5. :) :)

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think you understood what Sapper was saying. He was not saying that God is inactive. He was saying that God never abandons us, leaves us, or forsakes us.

As Kris Kristofferson said in his song To Beat The Devil "When no one stood behind me. But my shadow on the floor."

I have often looked for evidence of God's presence in my life and was not able to find anything. Then I felt the gentle tap on my shoulder. And the still, small voice said, "Just turn around. I have been right here all along." :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are entirely wrong. I have had an extremely distressing time in my life recently, and I have had the most blessed experience of God drawing close to me and comforting me through His word. It hasn't made the bad stuff go away but it has sustained me through it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the clarification. I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead

19. Former Member Amorphous

Irrelevant.

So why doesn't he talk?

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry you did not understand the passage.
    Jesus when He was here on earth.....speaking....said if someone will not heed the written word neither will they listen if one rises from the dead.

Hebrews 12:25-29 indicates Jesus is speaking from heaven now....through His word, His person ,and His work as eternal prophet priest and king.
    Not everyone can "hear the word", or understand what it says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.