1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why don't Baptists agree?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by natters, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Pitipat

Pitipat New Member

Other then "The preservation of the Saints" could someone explain in a non flippant manner the basic differance between "Freewill Baptist" and "Southern Baptist".

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

What Baptist would we all be like to be in agreement?

3. natters

natters New Member

Some great comments, and questions, so far in this thread. [​IMG] What can we do to achieve, or at least move towards, the following?

Rom 12:16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

Rom 15:6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Cor 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

2 Cor 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Phil 1:27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;

Phil 2:2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

1 Pet 3:8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

Has "soul liberty" and "autonomy" gotten in the way of "same mind"? What exactly does "same mind" ultimately mean?

4. Baptist Vine

Baptist Vine Member
    Site Supporter

5. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Maybe we just need to get back to the basics and not hold as "doctrines of God the traditions of men".

"That if you confess with your mouth The Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Rom 10:9-10 (NJKV)

"And Jesus said to him, 'I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" John 14:6 (NKJV)

6. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I think it is also because we are not a denomination. We tend to seperate even from ourselves. We preach liberty and salvation by grace yet place ourselves under the law with things such as tithing.

I think the diversity of the body may also have something to do with it. When we are into our church we tend to see our church ministries as most important. There are many parts to a body and we tend to over and under emphasize them. Alot depends on where and if our pastors have been schooled. IFB churches are just that. We answer to no one except Christ.

My toe has little contact with my ear. If they meet their focus is totally different and that may lead to areas of disagreement.

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the fundamental difference.

From the Treatise of the Faith and Practices of the National Association of Free Will Baptists:

8. Pitipat

Pitipat New Member

Thanks, rsr, for your reply and simplicity in your answer. I moved from a FWB church to SBC in 1974 and have found them to be more in line with scripture in their teachings and practices.

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Because I'm the only one who is right. [​IMG]

Needless to say, that's me sitting in the back. ;)

10. Pitipat

Pitipat New Member

I am a relative newcomer to this forum and enjoy the discussion very much. I find it not only informative but admire persons who can disagree on different issues yet not become disagreeable.
    I am a member of a rather large SBC church which has a thread of conservatism running through it with a hint of aristocracy (or maybe the reverse). We have third, fourth and maybe older generation members. Our pastor is a verse by verse teacher vs the real "old fashioned pulpiteer" yet it seem when we come to the subject that I am about to address we move on by it as quickly as possible with little comment.
    A large part of our brothers believe in what is referred to as The doctrine of election (Calvinism) as a part of GODS Soverignity while yet another segment tend to believe in the free-will of man.(Those who believe in this doctrine tend to keep quite and only talk of it "one on one" or in small groups.
    In reading historical documents from the past I find this teaching to be listed in most all of the historical documents, while as we got to the mid twentieth century these referances seem to disapear.
    Was the disappearence by design or have we just shortened our "ARTICLE OF FAITH".

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If man had no choice there would be no need for any imperatives and exhortations. There would be no need for churches.

If one looks at Eph. 2:8,9 we see both obedience and grace working in conjunction with one another.

Cetainly God uses the choices of man even if they are wrong in his sovereign will.

If you think about the economic times I believe you will also find a comparable theology. The theology during the Great Depression was much different than the luxurious living we have today. Can you imagine health and wealth gospel during the depression when the majority had little more than the clothes on their back seeking work and food.

God is both sovereign and wants our obedience. If God was only sovereign and made robots there would be no need for prayer.

12. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Amen to one, I believe, that sees the “grace commission” is for today.

Works and Grace will not mix for salvation. If we don’t accept this, and keep trying to get our Old Testament 40 days of works in (after we are saved), is it then of works, or is it our works with His grace, that we hold on to. As 40 is tied to God’s people alone, who are of works, we must be careful of thinking we “must” do works. We are born to good works, and we will do whatever work God puts in our hearts.

We need more people like you that are evidently reading, and understanding messages straight from the mouth of Christ Jesus from heaven as He sits right next to His Father. Thanks for standing up for the last words we have on salvation as revealed to us from heaven.