1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

why Don't Reformed/Covenant baptists Do Infant Water Baptism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Walter....Do you put Baptism at the same level as Grace?

Tom, with all due respect to you & your beliefs & traditions, my wifes mothers family are all reformed & of the Covenanter Scottish people of the old sod. The Anglicans shot them dead in front of their families for the effrontery of being Presbyterians.

2. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Sacramentalism is what places baptism at the same level of grace. Baptist require evidence of grace before they will baptize you. Since baptism is not required to be essential to salvation then what is baptism essential for? It is the very first step of SERVICE and the local congregation is concerned with that very thing - teaching them to OBSERVE ALL THINGS whatsoever I have commanded. Not only does Christ place baptism previous to this assembled instruction but the apostles understood it is the FIRST step and membership in a local congregation is the SECOND step - "as many as received the word were baptized AND added to them.."

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

4. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

I've just read through all these posts and I have found yours very helpful and insightful...Thanks!:)

I had heard some sects in years past, such as the Puritans, baptized their infants because they wanted them to be Puritans [baptized into the Church so they can't make a "mistake" later in life]; however, we know we can't make people become Christians and about the 3rd generation[?] of Puritans we have the bunch that oversaw the witch trials.....for me infant baptism means nothing