1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why flags @ church?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Joman, May 29, 2005.

1. Insane Zamboni

Insane Zamboni New Member

I'm a patriot and believe in having American flags in all public buildings, but not churches. Are we trying to promote a state religion or to lift up Jesus? If we're not careful, members will end up confusing Christianity with patriotism & you'll end up with a religious hodgpodge not unlike the syncretism the Apostle Paul battled.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I don't think any flags belong in the worship center, that includes the flag of this country, banners which many churches use, and the so called Christian flag. Seven of the eight men in my family served in the military in wars from WWI to Korea so I hope no one will start any **** about my patriotism.

There is another thread regarding banners in the worship service.

3. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

I am glad this thread has been put here. It has caused me to rethink "traditions of men". Some traditions we take for granted and just go with the flow, but really we should question some things and not just accept it. This is one of those issues. I have become used to the American flag on the left of the altar and the Christian flag on the right of the altar. Now I'm convinced it should not be. Neither should be there.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also favor leaving the flags out of the church house, or the church meeting place, wherever that might be. If nothing else, it can send the wrong message to those who do not understand why it is there, and become a hindrance to the true mission of the church.

I love my country, but ultimately, as a Christian, I am a stranger and a pilgrim in this world who seeks a better country. My citizenship is in heaven and my kingdom is not of this world. I am a closer brother to a Christian in China or Russia or the Dominican Republic than I am to a non-Christian in the United States. That first relationship is by blood.

5. Joman

Joman New Member

Heb 11:9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
    Heb 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think so. My understanding of an oath in the OT sense is that it was something people swore to do by a false god -- the name of the god was invoked. And I think you said something like, "By 'name of god,' I will see that the king dies or forfeit my daughter to the king's son," or whatever.