1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why foreknowledge = foreordination to God

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by whetstone, Oct 31, 2005.

1. natters

natters New Member

Please do! After all, it was your thesis, so it is your responsibility to either support it or withdraw it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]My "thesis" had nothing to do specifically with the Canons of Dordt, and I am under no obligation to you to address them point by point. God is not bound by time, the authors of those Canons did not adequately deal with that in their canons, and if that answer to your question does not provide enough detail for you, that's your problem not mine.

By that do you mean it would be too much trouble for you to actually support your assertions with facts? Do you find the truth to be "too much trouble?"
    </font>[/QUOTE]Not at all. If you knew my history on discussion boards, you would know I am exactly the opposite of your guess. Instead, I believe it would be a waste of time for other reasons, largely based on seeing how you deal with those who disagree with you.

Sorry, no deal. I don't care about your answer to my question that much, it was more of a rhetorical question. ;)

2. natters

natters New Member

I think there's a problem even with your terminology, although I'll admit I'm not sure how to correct it. But when you speak of God's eternal perspective, it sound like God looks on creation and takes in info about it. </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry for my lack of clarity. I simply meant that if God is not limited by time, trying to understand him and his ways totally by putting him on a timeline is not going to work perfectly. We do it because that's what we're restricted to, and thus the only way we can attempt to understand, but that restriction is ours, not God's.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. Well, as the Canons of the Synod of Dordt are the formulation of the 5 points we usually abbreviate as TULIP which many people refer to as "Calvinism" and you said that the soteriology of Calvinism (I.E., TULIP, also know as the Canons of Dordt) is incomplete, I just assumed you were being honest and not just blowing smoke. If you cannot defend your demagogic statements, I understand. You spoke out of turn and cannot defend your thesis. Happens on here all the time.
    LOL! It is quite obvious you have not read the Canons of Dordt! LOL!

Look, if you can't answer the question, just admit it. You don't have to try to lay it off on me. I understand. My students make silly statements all the time which, when challenged, they can't defend. It is part of the growing process. Just learn from it and move on. [​IMG]
    I see. You are afraid I would expose the paucity of your argumentation? You are probably right. [​IMG]
    I suspected that might be your response. It is fairly common on such forums. Just look at the Bible Translation Forum and see the KJVOs doing it in virtually every thread!

4. natters

natters New Member

I doubt that very much.

Again, I can. I simply choose not to with you. [​IMG]

I have. See how easily you misunderstand and assume?

No. I've repeatedly explained the real reason, you just seem unable to accept that reason - which further solidifies and justifies my desire to go into any more detail with you - it would not be worth it as I've previously stated.

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You doubt I assumed you were being honest? Why? Have you given me reason to assume that you are not being honest?
    Yes, of course. Just as the KJVOs can defend their position too, but just don't feel like it. Uh huh. Yep. Really. Sure!
    In that case you must have skipped over Point One, Article 6, among others. Maybe you just didn't have enough "time" to read it all! LOL! ROFLOL!
    And the reason is "I don't want to! I don't have to! You can't make me! And if you try to I will cry and throw a tantrum!" Is that the "real reason" you explained?

Well, okay. So, where are we? You made an assertion and when asked to support it you failed to do we. All we can do now is understand that your assertion was unfounded and that you have withdrawn it as you are so unwilling to support it. End of discussion.

6. natters

natters New Member

You doubt I assumed you were being honest? Why?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Because of statements like this one: "Yes, of course. Just as the KJVOs can defend their position too, but just don't feel like it. Uh huh. Yep. Really. Sure!"

Again, false.

Again, false.

I know where I am, you seem to be in another reality where you think you can read minds.

Did you ever consider that my position is not "unfounded", but rather that I just don't like to discuss things with you personally, for reasons you are still demonstrating?

Glad you finally agree. [​IMG]

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see! Wow! I am really impressed! You made an assumption based on something I hadn't even said yet! Wow! You are a real prophet!
    Oh, so you did know that the Canons of Dordt address temporal and non-temporal matters? Then you admit you made a mistake when you claimed they didn't? Good for you! I am glad to see you have finally admitted you make a mistake in saying that. Keep it up.
    Well, that is the only reason I can see. Did you post something else? Something of substance?
    Well, I will have to learn to read minds if I am ever going to hear your defense of your initial statement! LOL! ROFLOL!
    There you go again, trying to lay it off on me. When you first made your assertion I asked you very politely to expand on what you mean. You immediately refused to do so. Don't try to blame me for your inability to defend your silly statements.

8. natters

natters New Member

I said statements like that one. Like your previous statements that implied I did not know what was in the Canons of Dordt, questions about it being too much trouble to support my assertions with facts, etc. Bottom line, I doubted you thought I was honest, and you proved my doubts were legit.

Perhaps you missed where I said it was my opinion that they didn't "adequately" deal with them. Or maybe you didn't miss it, but pretended to.

No, you won't. You'll just have to have a less abrasive attitude. Haven't you noticed that I don't even discuss things with you even when I do agree with you?

But that's the reason. It's not my problem you don't like it.

:rolleyes: I've seen you in action enough times to know what to expect. And you have again met my expectations perfectly.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But made after the fact of your refusal to respond.
    And you are wrong again. I don't think you are dishonest. I think you are just avoiding admitting you can't support your assertion.
    Oh, so the Canons are "inadequate." Fine. Care to point out how and where they are inadequate? :D :D :D
    I see. It is all my fault that you can't support your assertion?
    A "reason" invented after the fact? LOL!
    Oh, I see. You just assumed you would not like how I discussed the matter so you preemptively refused to answer? LOL! Like you assumed that the Canons of Dordt didn't mention the temporal factor of salvation, and hoped nobody would call you on it?
    Well, you have not yet met mine. I expect honest people to be able to defend their assertions or withdraw them. If you don't want to defend them I will consider them withdrawn.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Alright ... discuss the issues or leave it alone. Natters, answer the charge if you respond. Thomas, if he doesn't, let your comments stand as they are.

Let's not go down the personal road.

11. natters

natters New Member

Edit: Sorry Larry, I didn't see your post until after mine was up. I have deleted mine.

12. jarhed

jarhed New Member

I am not sure why my posts keep getting deleted. Maybe I am not agreeing with everyone itelligently, because the amount of vitriol I have read in others posts did not occur in mine. Possibly it could be my historical references to some of the practices of John C? I don't know.

As to Election according to foreknowledge...well THAT is Bible. But you must read all scriptures and especially contexts discussing this to allow the Bible to interpret itself. Eph 1. speakes of Election or God chosing my AFTER I have believed. This is where I believe Calvin missed it. God is eternal, and exists ALWAYS, EVERYWHERE across eternity. As the lamb was slain before the foundation of the world, so God knew I would believe and chose my because of it because he was already there before the world began. This also speaks to the unspeakable price he paid for me...he will always be at Calvary...think about that. There are a lot of ramifications of this, and it is a common thread running through all of scripture. For instance, when did God become a man???????? Well, who was it that BREATHED into the nostrils of Adam, and who was it the WALKED in the garden? The Bible is an awesome book!

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/35/1624.html

14. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

I believe that foreknowledge election is Biblical because it fits in with 1st Tim 2 v 4.

Kind regards to all.

Bob